DVD recorder features? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorder features?

dean_martin
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm getting my wife a dvd recorder for Christmas. My main concern is ease of use. I've narrowed my choices down to a Panasonic and a Pioneer. The only difference I can detect is that the Panny has a front-panel digital camcorder input (IEEE 1394), but the Pioneer doesn't have this input. The wife wants to convert her digital camcorder videos to dvd (and old vhs tapes, too). Her digital camcorder does have the IEEE 1394 output. Should this be the clincher or deciding factor? Or, would S-video or camcorder cable with single jack on output end and composite jacks on input end work just as well?

Santa needs help!

EdwardGein
11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Almost every DVD recorder performs the same function at the same quality. You can get a Lite On DVD recorder that will let you convert stuff for under $200. I do not believe any standalones let you record in 5.1 sound. Furthermore, you can not use standalones to record copies of commercial DVD's. LiteOn via there guide on the remote enables even a chimpanzee to do recordings in 5 minutes. If you are only doing simple basic recordings it makes no sense to spend alot of money on more expensive DVD recorders. Good luck.

GMichael
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
I think both are good quality. Go for the connections you need/want. Look for HDMI.

Kam
11-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm getting my wife a dvd recorder for Christmas. My main concern is ease of use. I've narrowed my choices down to a Panasonic and a Pioneer. The only difference I can detect is that the Panny has a front-panel digital camcorder input (IEEE 1394), but the Pioneer doesn't have this input. The wife wants to convert her digital camcorder videos to dvd (and old vhs tapes, too). Her digital camcorder does have the IEEE 1394 output. Should this be the clincher or deciding factor? Or, would S-video or camcorder cable with single jack on output end and composite jacks on input end work just as well?

Santa needs help!

well what would really matter is current capabilities vs. any upgrades. you'll want the firewire port for any upgrades to your camcorder if you go to dvcam or if dvcam becomes more consumer available. i am guessing your camcorder now is minidv? in which case you'd defn want the firewire port to avoid any loss in quality. unless its a digi-8 camcorder which (i think) an svhs cable would be able to capture it at highest possible quality.

plus with hd camera systems now coming out in prosumer modes (like the new jvc and panny's), it wont be long (relatively speaking in comparison to, say evolution for example) before hdv replaces minidv as the consumer standard. (ps just watched chinatown, will post a review soon on fav films!)

N. Abstentia
11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Yes if your camera has a firewire output then you definitely need a recorder with firewire input.

dean_martin
11-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys. The wife's camera is minidv. I'll go with the Panasonic that has the firewire input. It's the same price as the Pioneer.

You guys are helpful as always.

EG - I think you're right about not being able to record commercial dvds and 5.1 surround w/standalones. I'll make sure that's not what the wife had in mind when she asked for a dvd recorder. BTW, I tried telling her what she wants ONCE. Anyway, the Panasonic and Pioneer models I'm looking at are now $199. Toshiba makes one that can be found for around $180. The Panasonic is the only one with the firewire input that I would consider in this price range.

EdwardGein
11-30-2005, 03:54 PM
With a computer DVD burner (internal or external attached by USB) and the free online program DVD Shrink you can record 99% of all commercial DVD's in 5.1 sound. DVD Shrink let's you record all a discs menus and interactive programs. There are companys, email me privately for info on this if you need it, that sell a small device for standalones that will enable you to record from a DVD but unfortunately you have to do this manually and the interactive menus don't work. I also don't think Stand Alones will let you record in 5.1 sound. The price range you listed sounds reasonable.

Five things you should keep in mind though that I forgot to mention: 1. Do you have to finalize a DVD to get it to play once it leaves the recorder? If so, your best using DVDRW's as (at least on my lite on) you don't have to finalize them. 2. Is there any easy step by step recording guide program via the remote (there is on my lite on), 3. Is the format DVD+R or -R or both. Mine is DVD+R. 4. For quality record at SP. TV you might be able to get away with LP but don't use EP as its terrible. 5. as you will be recording in real time, save money and get say a 1X DVDR instead of a 16X DVDR, as they will record in real time at the same speed. If you are using DVD Shrink though, the higher the disc speed the faster the recording.