Started New HT setup, Help me finish [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Started New HT setup, Help me finish

Crackerballer
11-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, I am new to the site, and have just started purchasing stuff to build my HT system. The first thing I bought was a Sony 7.1 STRDE898B Reciever (100w x 7) I liked it because of the price and features of being digital and such.

Is this a good reciever, or should I send it back and go with something different. I am a big movie buff, and will hopefully be buying either a 50'' DLP projection TV or a flat screen plasma in a month or so. The system will be in smaller rooms (my bed room or perhaps a living room, nothing over about 16x16) and is primarly used for DVD's and gaming (Xbox 360 and some PS2)

I want clear sound. Really loud is not necessary. I am a bass junkie (hopefully going to get a good powered sub)

I am new to the game. Total budget for receiver, and speakers is gonna be about 1600-2000. I was thinking going entirely JBL Northridge, E100 (x2) E50 (x2) E35, E10 (x2)

Any input you guys give is appreciated. I am open to websites, guides, etc. I want a quality system that will last awhile and let me enjoy great audio movies (Master and Commander, Days of Thunder, etc)

Lensman
11-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forums! If you do a search, you'll find Sony receivers are not among the better considered brands by regulars here. Most will recommend Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer in that price range. Pioneer's latest offerings have been garnering particularly good comments.

Before you spring for those JBLs, a couple of notes: First, most veterans here will caution you away from floorstanding speakers in this price range. Higher quality bookshelves mated with a decent sub will almost always outperform them as, in this price range, floorstanders invaribly make sonic compromises that result in poor midrange reproduction - which is the area of sound you'll actually be hearing the most.

Second, believe it or not, your budget actually will allow you to transcend the world of mass-market offerings at big box stores and enter the realm of high-end audio.
Check your phone book for local audio dealers and visit a few with some of your favorite movies/music. Odds are you'll find something much more impressive for the same amount of money.

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks Lensman, any particular model of pioneer yamaha or denon you would recommend? I will return the reciever once it comes friday, and swap it for something a little nicer.

I am looking into the Pioneer VSX-1015TX 7.1 CH Receiver, it is THX Select 2 with 120w a channel. It is a little more expensive than the Sony, but that is not a huge deal.

bfalls
11-30-2005, 06:04 AM
I find the Sony receivers a little lean in their power supplies. You have a pretty large room, so unless you purchase efficient speakers you're going to draw on the receiver to fill the space. I believe the Sony's use ICs instead of disctete outputs which reportedly sound less natural and don't dissipate heat as efficiently. I've read reports where their power supplies have run out of steam during loud scenes (explosions etc.) distort and have blown the rear suround speakers. Purchasing a powered sub will help since bass draws a lot of power. At 100W/ch (if the specs can be believed) the receiver may be adequate to drive the mid/highs to all 5/7 channels. For movies I prefer a Yamaha or Denon. They seem more dynamic and have the guts for larger rooms. I have one of each in rooms measuring 12.5'x25' and have no problems filling them without cranking the volume control very high, usually less than 1/3 to 1/2 the range.

There are a lot of choices in speakers. Be patient and listen to as many as you can in your price range. Stay with a brands from a companies who build speakers. Don't buy Denon, Onkyo etc speakers thet're usually a compromise and have less quality cabinets and drivers. They serve their purpose for the less discriminating who don't have or want to spend the money for a serious home theater. JBLs are OK and after you've listened to others you find them to your liking buy them, but I feel after serious auditioning you'll find a better fit. Klipsch' are a good value for home theater combining good dynamics, sound and efficiency. Also check out PSB, Paradigm, Jamo, Cambridge Soundworks. All have lines in your price range and provide good sound for your dollar.

GMichael
11-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi, welcome to AR.

The Pioneer you are looking at has received some good reviews. Here are a few links for information on it. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VSX-1015TX&btnG=Google+Search

Also take a look at the Yamaha line. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/receiver_main.htm

The RX-V series and HTR series are parallel except for a few differences. The RX-V line has a few higher priced models and are only available through audio stores. The HTR models are available through on-line dealers as well as Best Buy type stores, so you may be able to get a better deal on one. The HTR's are usually rated for more power but that's only because the rating system that they use on them is not the same.

There are many other good brands as well.

Anyway, have fun listening. Welcome to the club.

Eric Z
11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
I recommend going with yamaha, denon, onkyo, or pioneer. i'm sure the sony will work well for you, however, why not get more bang for your buck. I have the Yamaha 5760 (aka 650) and 657 (aka 5860)- these are last years model and this years model. The msrp of the 657/5860 is $499, but you should be able to get it for around $420 or so (may be a bit cheaper).

I also have heard great things about the pioneers, but have no personal experience with them. denons seem to be a bit pricier, but are good receivers, too. Onkyos are affordable and compete with the others as well.

If you spend $400 on the receiver, that leaves you with $1200-$1600 for speakers. I agree with lensman and bfalls regarding checking out speakers at a higher end audio store- also, as they said, stick with companies that only make speakers.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Kam
11-30-2005, 07:13 AM
good reccomendations by all, i'd also toss in marantz for a receiver (but i am a biased marantz owner since i've gotten in to the hobby :) ). and i'd also toss in nht. you could get 5 Super Zero's and two subs in your budget, and that would be a pretty kickass system. i use the superzero's as my surrounds and am also a huge nht fan (although at 6ohms, they can be a little harder to drive than 'regular' speakers).

also, another thing to consider, is if you are in this for the long haul, rather than spend all 1200-1600 on all your speakers, maybe spend it on just your main two speakers. listen around and find a set you love but is out of your range NOW where you can only buy the two main speakers. then just wait, and over time build your system into something you really really love. it might be kind of odd, as you'll have a 7 channel receiver but only 2 speakers, but if you do your homework in picking the speakers, you'll be more than happy with their sound until you can add a center and surrounds later. although this method takes a lot of patience, it can be very rewarding in the end.

peace
k2

agtpunx40
11-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Any of the reciever brands mentioned above should be good. I'm partial to Yamaha, for their longstanding reliability and my experience with them, but marantz, denon, onkyo, pioneer, maybe even a lower end nad receiever, would be good. Given your budget, I would spend 4-500 on the reciever, maybe a little more on 2 bookshelf mains (again, I'm partial to paradigm, but go to a few local audio shops and listen to some stuff).

That would give you about 1100, so you'd have 500 left. That would give you enough for maybe a HSU research VTF2 or maybe an SVS (check out www.hsuresearch.com and www.svsubwoofers.com). I've never heard an SVS myself, but they're generally highly regarded. I used to have a VTF2 and even though they aren't available in stores, I wasn't really happy with anything in the price range, and at the time I couldn't spend any more. The VTF2 really was better than most other subs in the price class to my ear. And I was willing to take a chance on the sub unheard, something that I wouldn't recommend on speakers.

There's your budget, and you don't even have surround speakers yet. So why am I telling you to do it this way? Well, that's basically what I did. I've found that you can really get by with significantly cheaper surround speakers (maybe a $200 pair of paradigm Titans or something, hey Xmas is coming up, if you really can't swing it), and it's better to start off with some good quality stuff that you can keep for the long haul. In the future, you can upgrade to better mains (preferably a step up the line from the ones you buy now so your speakers match for example a pair of used Paradigm Studio 20s now and later buy some studio 60s or even 100s when you've got some more money) or buy another matching set for real surround matching. Then you can more the other speakers to the rear for 7.1, or to another room for whole house audio.

The center is useful, but isn't necessary. In fact, some people who are really into HT don't use a center intentionally. If you want to add that, I'd wait till the end of the road. Just my opinion, but that seems to about the price level where you start to get into stuff that's good enough to keep.

On the other hand, you may be happy with less, the only real way to tell is to go to some store and do some listening....

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am going to return the sony, maybe even just not accept the package from UPS. I definately am in this for the long haul. I am in college, so the 1600-2000 range was what I planned to be able to spend total over the next 3-4 months. I can deal with a receiver plus 2 good speakers (and a sub of course) to start out. I will do a little more shopping around for receivers. That pioneer looks nice to me, but I am going to check into the Yamahas as well.

I am going to go ahead and search around and see what I can find by way of Local audio stores. My first concern is def finding the right receiver. I appreciate all this input, and hopefully can hang around long enought to contribute to this community. I am a big fan of well discussed hobbie forums (I have a 99 SVT Cobra and I am an active member of SVTPerformance.com)

Thanks again guys, I am going to so some more research!

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 08:59 AM
I have done a little reading in the last hour, and I really like the Yamaha RX-V1500, but it is around $550. I also have read good things about the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. It is much more moderately priced at around $380. The Yamaha YPAO system seems very useful. Now I just have to convince myself to use about 1/3 of my budget for my reciever. I do start a new job saturday, so money should be flowing nicely by the new year.

GMichael
11-30-2005, 09:13 AM
I have done a little reading in the last hour, and I really like the Yamaha RX-V1500, but it is around $550. I also have read good things about the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. It is much more moderately priced at around $380. The Yamaha YPAO system seems very useful. Now I just have to convince myself to use about 1/3 of my budget for my reciever. I do start a new job saturday, so money should be flowing nicely by the new year.

Hmmmmmmm.... A new job? More cash? Maybe you should hold off on buying anything right now. Do some listening and start a wish list while the budget grows.

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Hmmmmmmm.... A new job? More cash? Maybe you should hold off on buying anything right now. Do some listening and start a wish list while the budget grows.

Haha, problem is, as I get the cash, there are going to be other things I want (DLP or Plasma TV, Car Mods, etc) So if I can go ahead and get a good receiver and then after funds really get rolling some good speakers, then I will be in good shape. I will keep my options open.

Any opinions on either receiver I listed?

GMichael
11-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Haha, problem is, as I get the cash, there are going to be other things I want (DLP or Plasma TV, Car Mods, etc) So if I can go ahead and get a good receiver and then after funds really get rolling some good speakers, then I will be in good shape. I will keep my options open.

Any opinions on either receiver I listed?

I am partial to Yamaha, but Pioneer has been making good receivers lately also. Good bang for the buck as they say. Look for the options you want most, go listen.

topspeed
11-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Wait until you are a little more settled before you buy anything. For one, this will give you time to build up your reserves and secondly, it will allow more time for auditioning and education. This is a hobby after all so consider it a marathon and not a sprint.

FWIW, I always suggest you find your speakers first and then find amplification to properly drive the load. There are many speakers, such as Dynaudio, that present 4 ohm nominal loads. 5 Danes all driven concurrently will present a heckuva challenge for some receivers. Besides, the difference in sound between speakers is far more dramatic than the difference between most mid-fi avr's. Figure out what speakers sound best to you first and then find something to drive it. My .02 cents.

Hope this helps.

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks top speed, I have to see if I can locate a phone book around my house, my roomates have a way of losing things

topspeed
11-30-2005, 11:55 AM
my roomates have a way of losing things
I know the feeling. When I started 'SC, I had all of my belongings stuffed into my Bronco and my Dad's S Class. 4 years later, I moved out with everything fitting nicely into the back of an Acura Integra.

BTW, kudos on your ride. It's nice to see another gearhead on board. Tons of mods for that motor. It's tough to choose between the car and the HT, eh?

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Haha, you have no idea! I am 20, have had 8 cars, including a 2000 GT Stang (3.73 gears, springs, shifter, long tubes) a 2000 SS Convertible (Catback) a 1999 GSR Integra (Intake, wieght reduction) and now on my cobra. I just sold an ATI procharger kit I had for the car, to make a quick $500 profit. It is very hard to balance al my interest, I am also an Aquarium Junkie. I have a 40 gallon and a 10 gallon going right now. Did I mention I wake board and play basketball? ( not lately, tore my ACL beginning of Oct, surgery in 2 weeks.)

I found a place called Tweeters (used to be Now Audio Video) I am going to ride out there in a few minutes and see some things

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Just got back from tweeters. That Yamaha RX-V1500 is def the reciever I want now. they have it on sale for 648, so its going to end up being like close to 700 with tax. As far as speakers, I listened to some polk book shelfs that were absolutely amazing. I think for starters, I am going to go with that receiver and a sub-sat system (learned some lingo) I understand this to be a good set of book shelfs and a sub.

The other speakers were some whose name escapes me right now. Their logo is a little blue squiggly line. Their floor models I listened to were nice, but not as good as the Polk floor models. Unfortunately, those were the only two I really got to hear.

I think i am going to wait on speakers just a little longer, but polk seems like a very smart decision.

L.J.
11-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I am also an Aquarium Junkie. I have a 40 gallon and a 10 gallon going right now.

I'm into aquariums also. Are you into fresh or saltwater fish?

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Freshwater, I have one Powder Blue Cichlid in the 40 gallon, he owns the thing, and a Crayfish in the 10 gallon for now. I want to get more for the 40 gallon, but my Powder Blue is a mean mother....

L.J.
11-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Freshwater, I have one Powder Blue Cichlid in the 40 gallon, he owns the thing, and a Crayfish in the 10 gallon for now. I want to get more for the 40 gallon, but my Powder Blue is a mean mother....

I've been into freshwater since I was a kid. I currently have 3 135gal, a 30gal and a 10gal. My Oak 135gal has a colony of Eletric Yellow and various African Cichlids, a colony of Clown Loaches, a colony of Gurami's and a Orange Parrot fish. My Black 135gal has a Tiger and 2 Albino Oscars, a Silver Arowana and a Nigerion Bicher. My 10gal is currently empty. I use it as a tank for treating sick or hurt fish to recovery. My 30gal has 3 Red Ear Slider Turtles. My 3rd 135 is at my brothers house because I can't fit it in my messy garage at the moment. He's also keeping my best fish for me in his 300gal tank. My baby Motoro stingray.

Here's a few pics:

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 06:35 PM
How do the oscars get along with the Arowana. I really want to get some larger fish, but a 40 gallon is not really suited for man big fish. Let me finish eating and I will attach some pics of my 40 gallon.

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 06:46 PM
How do the oscars get along with the Arowana. I really want to get some larger fish, but a 40 gallon is not really suited for man big fish. Let me finish eating and I will attach some pics of my 40 gallon.

here ya go

L.J.
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM

They fight all day everyday. I've had em together for about a year now. I really don't care for oscars but someone gave me them for free since I had a empty 135gal. I'm about to pull the oscar tank apart so I can make room for my stingray. Oscars get really big, aggressive and they eat too much. I'm putting a pond in my backyard soon and I'm wondering if they could survive out there. My arowana has tripled in size over the last year. They are fast growing fish. He can hold his own against the oscars. What kinda filtration you using?

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I have an eheim 2213 canister. If I ever add any more fish, i will throw my penguin hang on back back on there with the biowheel.

L.J.
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I have an eheim 2213 canister. If I ever add any more fish, i will throw my penguin hang on back back on there with the biowheel.

I'm in love with Fluval filters. Yeah there expensive, but if you add up how much the penguin cartridges will cost year after year, the Fluval makes more since to me. Have you tried to intoduce new fish with your cichlid?

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 08:06 PM
When i got him in January, i had a bumble bee cichlid with him, nice black and yellow stripes. He did not survive through the cycling of the tank. Not to mention he was 1.5 times bigger than the poweder and the powder use to beat the crap out of him. i would like to get another bumble bee, they are suppose to turn soild black when they get mad. I may try to rearrange and add a few convicts or something.

L.J.
11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
they are suppose to turn soild black when they get mad.

Hmm..I didn't know that. I've had a few of those. With cichlids you always gotta expect a few casualties. Yeah your right, throw a few convicts or red devils in there and it should calm him down a bit. It's hard to get a balanced community going with aggressive fish. I usually buy them all at once when they're very small and raise em together.

I will post pictures of my stingray in a few weeks. I was stupid enough to put cichlids in the tank with em and they almost killed em. I had to take em to my brothers house. He's into HT and aquariums as well. His tanks are bigger than mine though. 300 and 185 gallons, and a few smaller ones.

Crackerballer
11-30-2005, 09:35 PM
If it is not bumble bee's, then there was some cichlid I read about turning solid black when they are angered. I am going to try and go get some fish this weekend if I have time.

evil__betty
11-30-2005, 10:39 PM
WOW! I wouldn't even go so far as to say that this is off on a tangent! This is more like someone cut and pasted a discussion from a fish forum into the AR forums! Not even close to where this thread started. Maybe we can get a "Fish" category to go along with "Home Theater" and "Speakers".

Hey, I love fish too, and I know that it is an expensive hobby, so I am not raggin' on you guys. Just surprised because I have never seen 'fish' come up as a conversation. Except here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14676) (I think that most of you were in on this conversation too!).

accastil
12-01-2005, 03:31 AM
crackerballer, youll never go wrong with Marantz SR5500 paired with mordaunt short THX 502 floor standers. give it a time for auditioning and tell me if you dont like the sound. ive been to denon and yamaha before and believe me, they sound the same...they lack punching bass. pioneer will give you the bass you wanted but the reliability of pioneer's are questionable. they may not last long

Crackerballer
12-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Oh yea sorry about the tangent. I was wondering if anyone else would come in and offer more home theater advice! Anyway, I really like the Yamahas I have heard. I am going to hold out a little while, and try to visit a sound store in raleigh in order to listen to some Paradigm Speakers and a few others, along with a couple other recievers.

Crackerballer
12-01-2005, 07:01 AM
OK, So after much reading, I have boiled it down to basically the Yamaha RX-V2500 (which I can get for $547 plus shipping). This seems like a steal of a reciever to do exactly what I want. It is THX certified, 130watts a channel, and I can actually find it cheaper than I can the RX-V1500. YPAO, Zone 2, and video up conversion. I figure with this reciever, and some nice speakers like Paradigm Studio 40's and a sub, or something similar, I will have exactly what I need to start a nice system.

L.J.
12-01-2005, 07:03 AM
WOW! I wouldn't even go so far as to say that this is off on a tangent! This is more like someone cut and pasted a discussion from a fish forum into the AR forums! Not even close to where this thread started. Maybe we can get a "Fish" category to go along with "Home Theater" and "Speakers".

Hey, I love fish too, and I know that it is an expensive hobby, so I am not raggin' on you guys. Just surprised because I have never seen 'fish' come up as a conversation. Except here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14676) (I think that most of you were in on this conversation too!).

Well Excuuuuuse Meeee. I will bow down and pray to the great and all powerful Home Theater GODS!!!! Home Theater GODS, I beg you please, please forgive me. Forgive me O great and mighty ones..... :rolleyes:

GMichael
12-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Well Excuuuuuse Meeee. I will bow down and pray to the great and all powerful Home Theater GODS!!!! Home Theater GODS, I beg you please, please forgive me. Forgive me O great and mighty ones..... :rolleyes:

My guess is that the HT G.ds like fish too. :p

Yum yum....

GMichael
12-01-2005, 07:50 AM
ssssssssshhhhhhhh......They're listening............always listening...........

The G.ds or the fish?

L.J.
12-01-2005, 07:50 AM
My guess is that the HT G.ds like fish too. :p

Yum yum....

ssssssssshhhhhhhh......They're listening............always listening...........

Crackerballer
12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
DAMNIT SOMEONE TELL ME IF I AM GONNA BE HAPPY WITH THIS YAMAHA AND SOME PARADIGMS! I am going to go feed my fish.

L.J.
12-01-2005, 08:01 AM
DAMNIT SOMEONE TELL ME IF I AM GONNA BE HAPPY WITH THIS YAMAHA AND SOME PARADIGMS! I am going to go feed my fish.

Follow the advice in the earlier posts and you should be OK. Take the time to research, make a decision based on YOUR needs and likes. Try some stuff out at home and take advantage of that return policy.

L.J.
12-01-2005, 08:11 AM
The G.ds or the fish?

BOTH!!!!! :eek:

agtpunx40
12-01-2005, 08:19 AM
I love my Paradigm studio 20s, if you listened to em and liked em, I'm sure they'll do the job. Interestingly, when I was getting mine (they were on v2, the ones they are selling now are v3 which I haven't listened to) I actually liked the 20s better than the 40s when using a sub. The 40s do have a little more bass, but seemed to lose some of the imaging, and since I liked the cheaper ones, why spend more? Not to say that you won't have a different experience, maybe it was just the room they were in when I was listening. Anyway, lots of people run a Paradigm Studio/Yamaha combo, I do, and would definatly recommend it in this price range. The best way to make sure you'll be happy with it is to listen to lots of stuff and see what you like.

Crackerballer
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks agtpunx and LJ, I am going to continue to shop and listen past the christmas season, and hopefully ring in the new year (haha, ring, like my ears ringing. Bad I know) with a new system. I will listen to both sets of studios, and which ever ones mate up best with a sub I am going to buy. I am going to try and burn a test CD soon. Problem is finding the edited versions on all the songs I listen to.

Crackerballer
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
UPDATE* Sold my Cobra, guy is suppose to come and get it beginning of the week, so this means a large increase in funding. Most likely I will order my receiver very soon, and then drop about $2200- $2400 on a DLP or Plasma.