Audio dropouts...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio dropouts......

MCH
11-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I recently stepped up to a projector. The setup required the DVD player to be moved closer to the projector. Would rather have short component video cables and a long audio cable than vice versa. I made a audio coax cable from a RG6. I used RCA connectors (Radio Shack) that I don't think are 75ohm rated and solder for the connections. I get a few audio dropouts now with DVDs and also if I try CDs. At first I thought it could be my aging DVD player. I tried two new players with the same result. So I'm thinking it has to be my long audio coax cable (25 feet). But before I go out and spend about $100 CAD for some Belden 1695A coax (seems to be highly rated) and Canare RCAP connectors (75 ohm rated, crimped not soldered) I would like to know if I'm on the right track. Any similar experiences out there?
I don't think it's my receiver. I play most of my CDs through a CD player that is connected with a 3' toslink. I don't get dropouts. Unless the circuitry is different using the CD mode compared to the DVD mode on the receiver.
Any thoughts?

markw
11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Where they are connected to the cable, possibly. ...but not the connectors themselves. The need for 75 ohm connectors for an analog audio run is an old wive's tale.

Mr Peabody
12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been told consistently that coaxial digital is better on shorter runs but the optical (toslink) is the way to go on longer runs.