What happened??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What happened???

SpankingVanillaice
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Were did my topics go??? Did someone moved them somewere else???? :confused: I hope no one deleted them since I will be very upset if they deleted them. :mad: :mad:

SpankingVanillaice
11-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Well heres some more details about why I am getting the MA-15D in the future when I get enough money.

I know that it doesn't go as high as my monitors but maybe the highs will sound more clean and clear and more precise. The MA-15D has a Bass Enhancer that makes only the lows like at 70hz to boost up so it sounds like a bigger speaker. Plus you can hook a sub to the MA-15D. The MA-10D can't hook a sub up. Only the MA-15D can be connected to a sub since it has a sub output. The tweeters on the MA-15D uses silk dome type unlike Polycarbonate dome tweeter that are used in the MA-10D. Another thing is that the MA-15D goes 30 watts mine only goes 20 watts.

But if you guys think I should stick with my MA-10D since it goes 35kHz then I will keep them but I wont be able to hook a sub on to it. as you see that MA-10D goes from 45hz to 35kHz since these monitors can't hook a sub up that's why it goes low as 45hz. But the MA-15D only goes 70hz to 20kHz since you can hook a sub to it to make the bass go down more. Plus it has that Bass Enhancer switch 1 and 2 and 2 having the most bass out of the speakers without sub. You can turn the switch to number 2 on the Bass Enhancer even if the sub is connected too to add more bass if you want. As you see in the specs the Bass Enhancer doesn't over-drive the woofers so that's cool.

PAT.P
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Were did my topics go??? Did someone moved them somewere else???? :confused: I hope no one deleted them since I will be very upset if they deleted them. :mad: :mad:There not deleted ,they are moved to off topic or steel cage.You are starting to sound like a broken record. :rolleyes:

noddin0ff
11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
I think you need to go outside more and meet real people. Go to a coffeeshop, read a book, hang out. Get a grip on reality. Listen to some live music, at a bar perhaps. Learn to live life and to move on. It's just plain unhealthy what you do here. Do your parents keep you locked in your room with that cat? Does your window open?

Florian
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I hope that they got erased same as i hope that this one will get erased.

ericl
11-29-2005, 01:48 PM
chill out you guys, take it easy on SVI.

Your thread was moved to the "Steel Cage" because of the nasty posts people were making.

SpankingVanillaice
11-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Ok well at least they were not deleted. Anyways I have decided that I will use my JBL HLS410 for the mains and my JBL SUB135 with my Pioneer VSX-405 receiver since right now I am not able to hook a sub to my MA-10D so there is not lot's of bass just the MA-10D it self. But I am still thinking if I should get the Sony SS-MB150H speakers since they really did sound good to me and they were cheap too. Plus they go up to 50kHz. Of cource I will need my JBL sub with this since it only goes low as 80hz. :)

PAT.P
11-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok well at least they were not deleted. Anyways I have decided that I will use my JBL HLS410 for the mains and my JBL SUB135 with my Pioneer VSX-405 receiver since right now I am not able to hook a sub to my MA-10D so there is not lot's of bass just the MA-10D it self. But I am still thinking if I should get the Sony SS-MB150H speakers since they really did sound good to me and they were cheap too. Plus they go up to 50kHz. Of cource I will need my JBL sub with this since it only goes low as 80hz. :) You change your mind more than your underwear :D

N. Abstentia
11-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Buying a speaker just because the spec sheet says it can reproduce up to 50khz is quite asanine.

Why don't you get a job and save up some money so you can buy some real speakers and upgrade instead of constantly buying these crap speakers which are a sidegrade?

Or maybe get your boyfriend to send you some money?

GMichael
11-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Don't buy new speakers until you have had a chance to hear them. Go out and listen. Don't make up your mind before you've had a chance to hear them and think about it for a while.

Do you have a budget?

Florian
11-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Like i said, sell all your stuff and start over. Go out and listen, buy some good speaker stands and some good electronics., What do you work?

SlumpBuster
11-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Man, you need to get a test tone CD so you can hear what 35hz and 20khz actually sounds like. Not a whole lotta music going on at those extremes.

BEETLEMAN
11-30-2005, 11:00 AM
why not get a pair of the small minimus 7 speakers from ebay, 15-20 dollars a set and a small reciever, about 20-30 watts. for under 100 dollars you can get a system that has some history to it. i did this for my niece and she is very happy with her system. they will more than kick the ass off those MD pieces of crap you want to purchase.
and as for specs, you will never hear the upper range anyway. your hearing drops off at about 16khz unless you are part dog. for bass you will never achieve what you want until you do an upgrade, but as said before be happy with a small system for now, dispense with the bass and when you are ready to upgrade. get a job, put money in bank and then get something decent.

SpankingVanillaice
11-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Well I guess I can only noticeable hear up to 18kHz so I guess if a speaker goes more than 20kHz it's probley not worth it since I can't hear it. I can say I can barely hear 19kHz that's for sure. :)

SpankingVanillaice
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
I do have to say I do have better ears than average people do so that's very cool. Means I can hear more out of my music better than others. :cool:

GMichael
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
I do have to say I do have better ears than average people do so that's very cool. Means I can hear more out of my music better than others. :cool:

Time will change that. Enjoy it while you can.

N. Abstentia
11-30-2005, 12:57 PM

Not really. How much music do you think is is the 20khz range?

And if you're listening on a pair of crappy 10 watt computer speakers, you're actually hearing less than you think. You're probably hearing more distortion than music.

BEETLEMAN
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
thats right i dont know exactly what the vocal range is but usually around 1500-8000 hz? but most speakers are crossed over in this area anyway. except for bass the upper octives are negotiable at best.

Florian
11-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Spanky,

do you really believe the stuff you write?

BEETLEMAN
11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
sounds like hes bored as all.......

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Not really. How much music do you think is is the 20khz range?

And if you're listening on a pair of crappy 10 watt computer speakers, you're actually hearing less than you think. You're probably hearing more distortion than music.Maybe so but still my Edirol MA-10D goes from 45hz to 35kHz. Anyways my JBL HLS410 sounds very clean and precise to me and I really think they are the best compac and small speakers ever. I mean I have heard other speakers that have 4in woofers and they sound like crap compaired to the JBL HLS410's.I really think that the HLS410's sounds ALOT better than the N24 or the E10's. Of cource the best speakers I ever owned and the best speakers I ever heard in that size meaning 6in woofers is the JBL S26 that I have. I have heard other 6in speakers and they do not give the deep punchy bass and the clear precise highs as the S26 that's for sure. The S26 sounds really close to the LSR6328P studio monitors too. How do I know is since I have heard all of the LSR series.

GMichael
12-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Maybe so but still my Edirol MA-10D goes from 45hz to 35kHz. Anyways my JBL HLS410 sounds very clean and precise to me and I really think they are the best compac and small speakers ever. I mean I have heard other speakers that have 4in woofers and they sound like crap compaired to the JBL HLS410's.I really think that the HLS410's sounds ALOT better than the N24 or the E10's. Of cource the best speakers I ever owned and the best speakers I ever heard in that size meaning 6in woofers is the JBL S26 that I have. I have heard other 6in speakers and they do not give the deep punchy bass and the clear precise highs as the S26 that's for sure. The S26 sounds really close to the LSR6328P studio monitors too. How do I know is since I have heard all of the LSR series.

Then I think you should keep these and forget about upgrading. Why change them if you like them? Hang on to what you have. I'm sure you'll have other uses for the money.

Resident Loser
12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
...how will you be using these things? Are you actually using them as computer speakers with your listening position within 2-3 feet?

If that is the case, they may well sound reasonably good. At that distance room interaction is virtually non-existent, so bass response should be OK and the highs should be reasonably well dispersed...proximity means a lot.

However...da-dum...any FR spec you read no matter how impressive it may seem is relatively meaningless unless accompanied by a tolerance...for example 45Hz-35kHz +/- 3dB would be impressive...the spec of 45Hz-35Khz really isn't. Since I couldn't find your model number at the Roland site, I haven't a clue. Even properly loaded 4-inch "woofers" may measure down to 45Hz, but if that figure is 10dB down it's really a moot point, same with the high-end(FR-wise).

Also take into consideration the Edirols are powered AND contain a DAC...not much left over in the budget for really quality drivers...that doesn't mean they aren't satisfactory for your use, but it is a point to consider, particularly when pro studio monitors can cost thousands...

The upshot is, while specs can be important there is more to them than meets the eye...you really have to get out and give things a listen.

jimHJJ(...just my two cents...)

BRANDONH
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Maybe so but still my Edirol MA-10D goes from 45hz to 35kHz. Anyways my JBL HLS410 sounds very clean and precise to me and I really think they are the best compac and small speakers ever. I mean I have heard other speakers that have 4in woofers and they sound like crap compaired to the JBL HLS410's.I really think that the HLS410's sounds ALOT better than the N24 or the E10's. Of cource the best speakers I ever owned and the best speakers I ever heard in that size meaning 6in woofers is the JBL S26 that I have. I have heard other 6in speakers and they do not give the deep punchy bass and the clear precise highs as the S26 that's for sure. The S26 sounds really close to the LSR6328P studio monitors too. How do I know is since I have heard all of the LSR series.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/600910/

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/3/9/6/322396.jpg

Compact, surprisingly powerful, and very versatile.

The MSR100 fills many sound reinforcement and stage monitor needs in one inexpensive, lightweight package. As a mixer, power amplifier, and speaker system combined in a single, compact unit, it's perfect for small events and club gigs. Mix in a CD player, rhythm machine, and/or keyboard with your voice -- all without the need of a separate mixer or power amplifier. And since it's made by Yamaha, the MSR100 provides the high-quality performance you need with exceptional ease-of-use and reliability.

Yamaha MSR100 8" Powered Speaker Specifications:

* Speaker type: 2-way bass reflex powered speaker
* LF: 8" cone
* HF: 1" compression driver
* Frequency response: 55Hz-20kHz (-10dB)
* Maximum SPL: 112dB (1m)
* Dispersion 90 deg. H x 40 deg. V
* Maximum Output Power 100W at 1kHz. THD=1%, RL=6
* Crossover Frequency 4kHz
* Input Sensitivity INPUT 1: -50dB*/+4dB* (with select SW)
* INPUT 2 & 3: -10dB*
* Input Impedance LINE 1 & 2 & 3: 10k
* Link Out -10dB*/ 10k
* Controls Level Control INPUT 1 & 2 & 3, Master Level
* EQ LOW: +/-3dB at 60Hz, HIGH: +/-6dB at 10kHz
* Power Switch ON/OFF
* Connectors INPUT 1:
* INPUT 2&3:
* LINK OUT: XLR-3-31 (balanced)
* Phone (unbalanced)
* Phone (unbalanced)
* Indicator Green LED: Power on, Red LED: Clip
* Dimensions
* (W x D x H) 10-7/8"W x 10"H x 18"D
* Weight 24 lbs

MANUAL (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_600910.pdf)

N. Abstentia
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM

That's quite scary.

GMichael
12-01-2005, 01:52 PM

That's quite scary.

That narrows it down to making sounds at some unknown frequency.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2005, 10:07 PM

That's quite scary.Ya I did notice that most Yamaha speakers are -10db. Even studio monitors are -10db too. But I think that the Yamaha MSR100 speakers mean that at 55hz its -10db. Even other studio monitors like the MSP10 are 40hz to 40kHz -10db. So of cource that means that at 40hz its -10db. Other monitors like the MSP3 are even -10db at 65hz too.

N. Abstentia
12-01-2005, 10:42 PM
No that actually means that it produces 55hz - 20khz with UP TO -10 db variation. Yes it could be (and probably is) -10 at 55 hz, but it could also be -10 anywhere else too. That's pi$$ poor. If you want something meaningful, look for +/- 2db measured across the entire spectrum.

If it is indeed -10db at 55hz, then if rated like a good speaker it would probably be something like 200hz-14khz +/- 3db. That's Bose territory. Sheesh.

SpankingVanillaice
12-02-2005, 08:09 AM
No that actually means that it produces 55hz - 20khz with UP TO -10 db variation. Yes it could be (and probably is) -10 at 55 hz, but it could also be -10 anywhere else too. That's pi$$ poor. If you want something meaningful, look for +/- 2db measured across the entire spectrum.

If it is indeed -10db at 55hz, then if rated like a good speaker it would probably be something like 200hz-14khz +/- 3db. That's Bose territory. Sheesh.How do you know that Bose is +/- 3db around those freq? Since I look at there site they don't barely tell any specs on there speakers and I did call the tech support and they said that Mr. Bose doesn't like telling specs about his speakers he wants people to listen to them and the decide if they like it or not.

GMichael
12-02-2005, 08:34 AM
How do you know that Bose is +/- 3db around those freq? Since I look at there site they don't barely tell any specs on there speakers and I did call the tech support and they said that Mr. Bose doesn't like telling specs about his speakers he wants people to listen to them and the decide if they like it or not.

That's because their specs are so bad. They don't want you to compair them.
Some people have simply tested their speakers and got numbers close to what Nab is saying. I don't have the links but someone else might. Really not worth it. Too many better speakers out there for less.

Florian
12-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Buy a microphone and download the Audionet software and run a fullrange signal on your speakers. If you dont have one i can send one to you and then you set it at 75db and run the test and you will see the frequency repsonce on your laptop. But be warned the results will crush your world and open your eyes to the truth. And that truth is that your speakers will have huge holes in the spectrum, will never reach anything below maybe 200Hz in that room no matter what you try. Sorry, but please understand that i am trying to help you.