PS Audio Powerplant vs Shunyata Hydra [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS Audio Powerplant vs Shunyata Hydra

Cincy2
11-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Can anyone provide any comparison between these two units for power conditioning / regeneration? I have been satisfied with a PSA Powerplant but can't use the Multi-wave inputs any longer. My new front end uses a switching power supply that hates anything but plain old sine wave. Looking to make a change and have read good things about the Hydras.

Resident Loser
11-28-2005, 11:00 AM
...one would have to question the need to veer from the plain ol' industry standard 60Hz(50Hz outside the US) line freq since certain electronic devices "lock-on" to that frequency as a part of their operating specs...but, be that as it may...

Way back when, Shunyata marketed their wares as being filled with their proprietary "Stardust"...that may have proven to be a bit much, and now it has morphed(or at least been renamed) into the proprietary and patented FeSi 1002 noise-reduction compound...

They seem to be completely passive devices(as opposed to the obviously very active PS Audio unit you currently have). They use MOVs(metal oxide varistors) for surge suppression...just like the way-cheaper "SurgeMaster"s and the like...Basically a simple buss with heavy internal "wiring" and cryo-treated whatzis, etc. and loaded with Stard...er, excuse me...FeSi 1002...

A few other things. As I recall from HS chemistry Fe=iron and Si is silicon...what 1002 indicates is anyone's guess...what it may actually do is yet another...

Also, the Chinese word shunyata means nothingness or emptiness, that sort of thing...Depending on one's viewpoint, it could signify the nothingness of a silent background or from another POV, that is an expensive box of nothing in particular, which, save for "pride of ownership", does abso-lute-ly zip!

You'll have to make your own assessment on that...

jimHJJ(...me, I think the glass is half-empty...)

topspeed
11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
The MOV's Jim mentioned are the biggest difference. Paul recently outlined the differences in his monthly newsletter, so you might check over at the psaudio.com website and go through the recent letters. Either that or simply ask Paul on the PSA forums. Yes, he'll be biased towards his own products, but he also won't give out misinformation. My experience has been that Paul's a straight shooter.

BTW, congrats on the Halcro's. I didn't realize they utilized switching power. Is the topology ICEpower based or TI?

E-Stat
11-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Can anyone provide any comparison between these two units for power conditioning / regeneration?
With the caliber of your gear, have you tried aftermarket PCs as well?

rw

musicoverall
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
With the caliber of your gear, have you tried aftermarket PCs as well?

rw

I got no sonic change of any kind during a recent PC shootout using my PSA Powerplant. But the 'plant isn't going anywhere! I think I was one of the first couple of dozen owners when they first came out and my system will not be without it again.

Cincy2
12-01-2005, 04:50 PM
E-Stat,

I'm using Nordost Valhalla's on the Halcro monoblocks. I intend to use Shunyata Anacondas on the dCS equipment once I have a positive bank account balance again some day.

Cincy2

Cincy2
12-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Topspeed,

The Halcro's do indeed have a superb switcher for a power supply. While I have enough information on their design to be dangerous, I have no clue on what component technology is used. The Alpha Geek who designed them does not do much talking. Considering how good they sound, I don't blame him.

Cincy2

E-Stat
12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm using Nordost Valhalla's on the Halcro monoblocks. I intend to use Shunyata Anacondas on the dCS equipment once I have a positive bank account balance again some day.
I see you have that aspect well covered. :)

rw

hermanv
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Considering the power and reputation of the Halcro monoblocks it's very possible that anything put between them and the wall socket could limit or choke their capabilities.

Someone must make a power conditioner that can handle that kind of peak load but it would have to be a large and expensive unit.

At the price point I think we are discussing, I would think that it is reasonable to ask Halcro for a recommendation.