Looking for DVD player to play 6.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DVD player to play 6.1

PmR
01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a progressive scan dvd player that excels in video quality while also supporting playback of dvds with various 6.1 formats. I'm also interested in getting a pretty good deal.

The one I keep on hearing about in the budget price range (~200 USD) is the Pioneer DV563A. I know that it supports SACD and DVD-audio but I have no software at this point in time so I see that as a nice feature to test out this area but I don't view this feature as essential. I do think compatibility with 6.1 sources is important (my receiver is Yamaha RX-V1300 which does support these modes - bought based on advice from this board ($500 US), so I do listen to you guys)

Are there any other DVD players in the budget range that I should be considering.

Thanks for your help.

recoveryone
01-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a progressive scan dvd player that excels in video quality while also supporting playback of dvds with various 6.1 formats. I'm also interested in getting a pretty good deal.

The one I keep on hearing about in the budget price range (~200 USD) is the Pioneer DV563A. I know that it supports SACD and DVD-audio but I have no software at this point in time so I see that as a nice feature to test out this area but I don't view this feature as essential. I do think compatibility with 6.1 sources is important (my receiver is Yamaha RX-V1300 which does support these modes - bought based on advice from this board ($500 US), so I do listen to you guys)

Are there any other DVD players in the budget range that I should be considering.

Thanks for your help.

The 563a is a good choice or you could step up to its bigger brother the Pioneer Elite 45a for around $300 it has its own built in DAC's Burr Brown or go all out and get the 47i

recoveryone
01-14-2004, 06:13 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
I forgot to add, its not the DVD player that gives you the 6.1 format its your reciever. As long as you run it through the digital feed (coax or toslink). Your reciever does all the work in the 6.1/7.1 format

PmR
01-14-2004, 07:09 AM
The 563a is a good choice or you could step up to its bigger brother the Pioneer Elite 45a for around $300 it has its own built in DAC's Burr Brown or go all out and get the 47i

Thanks for clarifying the audio output on these players. I figured as much but I wasn't entirely sure.

Looking at the reviews section of this website, one author complained about the lack of bass management on the DV-45A for audio software. Have you found this to be a problem?

JSE
01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
I'll go against the grain and suggest the Panasonic F85. It's a 5 disc. player that will play everything except SACD. It will play DVD-A. I have had it for a couple months now and I have been very happy with it. It also has built in digital decoders, if thats important to you. Once feature I like is the shuffle mode. You can put 5 CDs in and it will play random songs off of random CDs. This only work for CDs though. Cool feature if you do any entertaining. Oh, and it's about $130 to $140.

JSE

recoveryone
01-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying the audio output on these players. I figured as much but I wasn't entirely sure.

Looking at the reviews section of this website, one author complained about the lack of bass management on the DV-45A for audio software. Have you found this to be a problem?
With the SACD disk the Bass management is lacking, but I heard that is the same on most players. The DVD-A disk sound real nice in 5.1 which kicks in the BM, 2.0 the sound is thin. That my be cuz I have sats as my fronts, maybe with large fronts the sound my differ.