Bookshelf speakers for a college kid [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf speakers for a college kid

AShannon04
11-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, I've been kinda cruising speaker reviews for awhile now, and I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions on the following speakers was:

B&W DM600 S3
Bose 301 V
Klipsch SB-3

Basically, I'm looking for a set of decent bookshelf speakers in the $300-$400 range to put in my room up at college. I'm living in my fraternity house with two pretty small connecting rooms (each about the size of an average college dorm room). I listen to a lot of rock/punk music and I'm looking for a good set of speakers that will sound good at mid to loud volumes. So yeah, what do people think of the above speakers, and what, if any, are the differences between them? Also, are there any other speakers I should be looking at?

I really apologize if this is a common topic, and if its been dealt with previously, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: For my receiver, I have a Technics SA-EX140 (100 watts per channel, I believe) in case this makes any difference.

N. Abstentia
11-27-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd leave the Bose out for sure, mainly because they are junk.

I'd leave the B&W's out because frankly playing loudly is not their strong point, and personally I feel they are way overpriced.

Which leaves the Klipsch...sounds like they are right up your alley. Those babies will crank all night long without a problem :)

Mark111867
11-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Sounds like Klipsch would fit the bill.

Invader3k
11-28-2005, 05:23 AM
301s might not be bad, actually. I personally think that the 301 is the best all around speaker Bose makes (maybe that's not saying a lot, though). They have pretty good midrange and hit the "upper lower" bass well, though I found my pair sounded best when coupled with a decent subwoofer (but how many bookshelf speakers don't?).

Does sound like the Klipsch would be worth considering for the music you listen too.

Pierce
11-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Don't overlook JBL. Right price. Great sound. http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=E30&cat=NRE&ser=NRE

Mtbrider
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
You should also look at the Axiom line. The M3Ti is a solid choice at the low end of your budget, and the M22Ti is also good, but might be over your budget. Other considerations would be: PSB Alpha B, Epos ELS-3, and Infinity Primus 150.

kexodusc
11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
My M3Ti's are light years ahead of my old PSB Alphas...I'll 2nd the M3Ti's by Axiom.

But the BR-1 speaker kit from Parts Express is better still

Eric Z
11-29-2005, 07:08 PM
If your fraternity house is similar to the ones I hung out in, get something that can take a beating and that's not too expensive- especially if they'll be played loud by people who don't care for them properly- one too many beers equals some idiot turning up music as loud as it goes! Ahhhh, the college years; never thought I'd miss it that much.

Enjoy!