Uncut Albums of the Year - 2005 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uncut Albums of the Year - 2005

Davey
11-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey, haven't seen the mag yet, but was just talking about the National album Alligator, which is one of my favorites this year, and was at their site and noticed they have the Uncut page up there and they were named #5 on the yearend list. But it doesn't have the whole list so I did a quick search and got the rest and have it linked below. Kinda surprised to see another favorite by Black Mountain at #4. Wow! Their magazine staff is really getting old ;)

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/ijkidd/uncut_albums_of_the_year_2005/

http://www.americanmary.com/press/uncutalbumsofyear2005.jpg

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Too bad that Anniemal album is 2004, otherwise it'd be on my list as well.

Davey
11-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Too bad that Anniemal album is 2004, otherwise it'd be on my list as well.
Yeah, but you probably bought the Norwegian import last year because you're such a hip and cool young scenester ;) It didn't come out here or in Uncut's own UK until the middle of this year. And of course the Arcade Fire was so last year in their own North America, but the English didn't hear the Montreal beat until this year. Did you really have Annie on your list last year? I didn't hear about it until the year end lists came out. Didn't you say that it wasn't all that great? I only listened to some crappy sounding mp3 but it wasn't really my thing, you know, that Kylie type of thing you like so much. Quality stuff though. Kylie's a charmer. And so is this Annie. The Lennox gal, not so much anymore from what I've seen on all the recent appearances coinciding with the big Eurythmics remaster series. Wish she would ditch that manly suit and tie outfit once in a while. Just a sexist comment, I know, but I liked her more back in the less androgynous days. Speaking of Annie and Dave, the music industry is such a big load of crap. Did you see any of that UK Hall of Fame thing over the holiday? Loved the Kinks part (even though I didn't think Chrissie and her current gang did a great job on Waterloo Sunset) but most of the rest I saw was pretty painful.

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but you probably bought the Norwegian import last year because you're such a hip and cool young scenester ;)Flattery will get you nowhere.

Alright, yes it will.
Did you really have Annie on your list last year?Actually, I didn't think it was that great at the time, but it has grown on me. And yes, it is kind of poppy for you.

When was she (other Annie) not androgynous? She's always been so striking, visually. As far as I remember, she's been androgynous from the beginning. I don't mind androgynous women, especially one who can sing as well as Annie does. She must have taken a pretty sharp turn -- the last time I saw her (A&E By Request, I think), she/they were still pretty sharp/on/whathaveyou.

Did I miss something? What were nos. 1 & 2?

Davey
11-27-2005, 02:11 PM
When was she (other Annie) not androgynous? She's always been so striking, visually. As far as I remember, she's been androgynous from the beginning.
Hmm, well when I saw them in concert many moons ago she was quite the showgirl, soon stripping off her top and performing mostly in just her bra and shorts, or whatever was down below. But yeah, she's always been kind of that way, but she just seems so Broadway or something now. Maybe I just haven't noticed because I haven't really followed her since the original Eurythmic days. I bought one of her solo albums and hated it. 1984 has always been a favorite, though. What a great album, partly because it wasn't the typical Eurythmics fare.

Did I miss something? What were nos. 1 & 2?
Ya gotta click the link for the full list. Wasn't it you just making fun of others because of their reading comprehension skills in another thread?

;)

audiobill
11-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the year-end Uncut list, Dave.

Several of my faves are on there and several are missing.

Guess you'll have to wait, until the RaveRecs' year-end members' list to find out.

Bet ya can't wait!

Cheers,
audiobill

P.S., that Lightning Bolt album is getting plenty of play around here

Stone
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
I think that Dungen album was a 2004 release, too. They (he) has already released another album (EP?) since.

Davey
11-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I think that Dungen album was a 2004 release, too.
You do realize that this post does nothing to undermine the anal retentive image we have of you, right?

;)

Hehehe, I'm gonna put the Micah Hinson album on my list. 2004 in the UK, but 2005 in my homeland. Haven't heard it myself, but looks like they reissued that Dungen CD this year with an extra disc. Have you heard it? I know it got a lot of press from the indie mags last year and I did have it on my wishlist to check out, but it's all sung in Swedish, right?

NP: The Day Texas Sank to the Bottom of the Sea, the closer on Micah's CD and also the closer on my Holiday Mixer. Man, this is some good stuff. Eight plus epic minutes. Beautifully bittersweet. Maybe even monumental. Definitely gives me a feeling that salvation is waiting in that choir of voices that bring it to its swelling conclusion.