Pioneer 1015... other alternative recomendations? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 1015... other alternative recomendations?

lithnights
11-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Hello all,
I am looking to replace a Kenwood KR-V7080 (100W per channel, Dolby Pro Logic) that I bought in 1996. It didn't have Dolby Digital but other than that, it has suited me just fine. But now I want Dolby Digital and am looking to replace it. I am not an audiophile and need to stay within a budget.

I currently have Bose 301s as my front speakers and an Infinity CC-2 center channel. Simple lower budget Pioneers at the rear and an Acoustic Research subwoofer (spent around $300). Lower budget setup but it is great for my needs.. except no Dolby Digital capability.

I use this set up for DVD watching (75%) and CD/radio listening (25%).

Thus, I am looking at a Pioneer VSX-1015TXK I have seen favorable reviews in audioreview.com threads, on epinions.com cnet.com etc. and it is within my price range (I have seen it online for about $400).

1) Are there any other receivers in that price range (around or under $400) that you would recomend?

2) With my current speakers, am I going to notice a big difference between my current Pro Logic Kenwood and any Dolby Digital receiver I'll soon buy?

Thanks in advance!

vxaudio
11-27-2005, 11:28 AM
the 815, and am very happy. no video switching to component, but didnt matter for me. i was looking at the 1015 at bb and they had an open box 815 for $200. for bose 301's, this is way more overhead than you should need.

AVMASTER
11-27-2005, 11:35 AM
there's plenty of choices in your price range and you'll get plenty of opinions, however if you like what you've had before then go with another Kenwood--model vr9050 $350.00 or vr9060 $499.00. Now for my suggestion, scrap it all and go with Onkyo HTS780--at $75.00 over budget you gain more power, sonically matched speakers ( 7.1 ), comparable subwoofer(just a bit more power), receiver with all the latest processing, and a quick-simple setup

lithnights
11-27-2005, 12:21 PM
there's plenty of choices in your price range and you'll get plenty of opinions, however if you like what you've had before then go with another Kenwood--model vr9050 $350.00 or vr9060 $499.00. Now for my suggestion, scrap it all and go with Onkyo HTS780--at $75.00 over budget you gain more power, sonically matched speakers ( 7.1 ), comparable subwoofer(just a bit more power), receiver with all the latest processing, and a quick-simple setup

Great, I am researching your suggestions.

The HTS780... how would that compare to my current set up when listening to music? From what I read and hear, those all in one home theatres may be nice for DVD watching but not as good when it comes to listening to music. Will it's music output match my 301s? If so, why is such a unit priced way below what my receiver, 301s, sub, rear speakers would all cost when added up?

Thanks

AVMASTER
11-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Great, I am researching your suggestions.

The HTS780... how would that compare to my current set up when listening to music? From what I read and hear, those all in one home theatres may be nice for DVD watching but not as good when it comes to listening to music. Will it's music output match my 301s? If so, why is such a unit priced way below what my receiver, 301s, sub, rear speakers would all cost when added up?

Thanks
technically speaking your 301s maybe better but the good thing about the Onkyo system is that its' not your typically HTIB--since it's a separate receiver with traditional speaker connections you could use your Bose speakers with it and make adjustments in the receivers' setup menu. With the Onkyo you're really paying for the receiver and sub; the surrounds are truly lacking but the front L-C-R are decent; you could always but your Bose up front and move the Onkyos' to the rear, either way you still can't beat the price--at least it's something to consider

lithnights
11-27-2005, 02:31 PM
technically speaking your 301s maybe better but the good thing about the Onkyo system is that its' not your typically HTIB--since it's a separate receiver with traditional speaker connections you could use your Bose speakers with it and make adjustments in the receivers' setup menu. With the Onkyo you're really paying for the receiver and sub; the surrounds are truly lacking but the front L-C-R are decent; you could always but your Bose up front and move the Onkyos' to the rear, either way you still can't beat the price--at least it's something to consider

So we're saying that the HTS780 functions just like a regular receiver and that I could (if I chose to), hook up my 301s and CC-2 speakers to it? And that this receiver would give me better sound than me purchasing the Pioneer or similar receiver?

Thanks