Stop the vibrations......... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stop the vibrations.........

Pat
11-27-2005, 10:23 AM
My subwoofer in our smallish living room is capable of some serious BASS, too much in fact. Our house is on a crawlspace and wood floor with carpet. I came up with the following idea that stops all but the airborne vibrations and let's me crank the gain up even higher. It is a simple and yet very slick almost elegant looking fix.

1. Three spikes on the bottom of the sub.
2. One round concrete low dollar stepping stone pad from Home Depot
just underneath the spiked sub.
3. Twelve squash balls (similar to tennis balls without the fur) hotmelt
glued to the underneath side of the concrete pad.
4. Total cost is under $15.00

The Spikes, Concrete, and Squash Balls are spray painted flat black
to blend in with the black color of the sub. No Power tools were necessary except for the drill to attach the spikes to the sub. Of course the painting needs to be done outside or in a garage for obvious reasons.

My guess is the vibrations from the sub now are absorbed by the concrete pad and prevents the violent shaking of the floors and walls.

Pat
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Well..........Now the sub is sitting on the floor with spikes only and the chair shaking bass isnt so bad after all........ :D

gjpham
12-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Have pix?

JohnMichael
12-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Did you ever think of bracing the floor from below. Using cement blocks and wood shims to make the floor more stable. Also short floor jacks might also help. The more stable the floor the better the bass. It sounds like your floor is vibrating and producing extra bass like a big soundboard.