New War Of The Worlds DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New War Of The Worlds DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray77099
11-27-2005, 09:30 AM
All I can say is WOW!!!!
That DTS track really blew me away. It's just Awesome!!! Subs had a great work out during the entire movie. Anybody want to add comments ?

GMichael
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Can't yet. Bought it, wrapped it, put it under the tree. I get me the best gifts.

eisforelectronic
11-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Can't yet. Bought it, wrapped it, put it under the tree. I get me the best gifts.

I would have opened it right after I wrapped it!! :D

GMichael
11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
I would have opened it right after I wrapped it!! :D

Willpower my friend. That and the fact that I picked up Star Wars III the same day. :D

recoveryone
11-28-2005, 10:00 AM
The DTS sound track is nice. This SicFi flick sent my wife and lil ones to bed quick, But I think it was the surround sound that made them more scared than the movie itself. Hearing the horn blowing from the machines was the icing on the cake. Over all very nice film, the pace was good through out the whole film and the quality of the transfer was very very good.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-29-2005, 04:56 AM
There was two things about this movie that I didn't like. The characters annoyed the hell outa me(I don't like irrational adults and bad mouthed disrespectful bratty kids), and the overwhelming LFE.

The LFE channel is supposed to give the mix punch and emphasis. In this movie it just overwhelms the other channels. Can't fix the character problem, but the LFE problem is fixable. Once I directed the LFE to my front L/R mains, everything snap right into place. I guess the combination of the overwhelming LFE+two high powered subs in two corners was adding to the problem.

I loved the premise of this movie alot. I think Stephen did an excellent job remaking and adding his spin to it. Once the balance problem was taken care of I really enjoyed the soundtrack alot. Alot visual wow moments, the usual Spielberg film grain, and a fairly decent ending. I'll give it a 7.

agidol
12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
why is it that the aliens had their shield down so the army can blow them up with bazookas? I know they were dying but does that mean their shield is going down too?

Kam
12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
why is it that the aliens had their shield down so the army can blow them up with bazookas? I know they were dying but does that mean their shield is going down too?

yeah, i think that's exactly what it meant. i think because they were not immune to the bacteria of our planet, that when they got infected, it knocked out their defense mechanisms and made their shields drop so our weapons could knock 'em down.

GMichael
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
yeah, i think that's exactly what it meant. i think because they were not immune to the bacteria of our planet, that when they got infected, it knocked out their defense mechanisms and made their shields drop so our weapons could knock 'em down.

So maybe their shields were bionics of some type?

Kam
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
So maybe their shields were bionics of some type?

yeah it seemed that way, that their whole process was to make earth a second "red planet" even though these guys aren't exactly said to be from mars (as in the book) they keep the 'red planet' theme going. i think their whole technology had a whole organic feel to it, since they were three legged, so were their machines, and their weapons for feeding on the humans were very organically created out of the machines too, so maybe their shields were driven organically as well? OR.... maybe the alien dude manning the shields sneezed and turned the button off.

noddin0ff
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
They had to drop their sheilds to discharge all that goo and got blasted with their pants down?

I was kind of annoyed by the addition of the sheilds. Why not just have armor that's tough? The one at the end was the only one shot down. I would have much rather seen it just topple when the pilots died. The machines would have seemed that much more fearsome even in death, the human plight more hopeless, and the luck of having germs that much more lucky. Instead, it was kind of a "Yay, we shot a dead one!" scene. Probably there was just a bunch of money left for a another sub-blasting special effect.

noddin0ff
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
They were kindof organic with that big sphincter thing Cruise got pulled through with the grenades.

Speaking of organic Sci-Fi. I watched Aeon Flux last night (I stumbled across a free download). Not a great movie really, but that's not Theron's fault. It was kind of cool in that much of the future tech was very organically derived. Private information was communicated with flowers and pollens, potions and pills. Flowers shooting poison barbs, deady grass, lots of weird fleshy botanicals. Very cool imaginative ideas, fairly well executed visually. Definate points for style. To bad there wasn't a better movie behind it.

Kam
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
They had to drop their sheilds to discharge all that goo and got blasted with their pants down?

I was kind of annoyed by the addition of the sheilds. Why not just have armor that's tough? The one at the end was the only one shot down. I would have much rather seen it just topple when the pilots died. The machines would have seemed that much more fearsome even in death, the human plight more hopeless, and the luck of having germs that much more lucky. Instead, it was kind of a "Yay, we shot a dead one!" scene. Probably there was just a bunch of money left for a another sub-blasting special effect.

from what i remember, that's how the book ended, without any success on the part of the humans other than our resilience to the bacteria of our planet. that was the cool thing of the book too, that the humans "won" by their right of having evolved on this planet, by having survived on this planet versus some alien/foreign power who thinks they're all high and mighty, doesn't realize what it really takes to live on planet Earth. i think the narrator comes across a fallen machine and sees the aliens dead inside already, having fallen victim to our bacteria. also, from what i remember, the humans had zero success against the aliens in battle in the book, at least as far as the narrator knew. interesting concepts in the book at least.

noddin0ff
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
from what i remember, that's how the book ended, without any success on the part of the humans other than our resilience to the bacteria of our planet.

And that's why I think the story stands out as a 'classic'. The ultimate fear is to know you are powerless to save yourself.... that and that you're very unlikely to win round 2 now that they know about germs.

agidol
12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, like aliens were so technically evolved and yet they can't determine whether earth is hostile to their existence. plus they had their machines buried million years ago and yet they attacked just now....why wait? there would have been even less resistence in the stone age.

noddin0ff
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
yeah, I don'y know why Speilberg buried them here. They originally fell from the sky. That way you can accept that they didn't know about germs. Why, why mess with the fundamentals of a good story? It was cool hearing them come up from below though.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-14-2005, 04:34 AM
yeah, I don'y know why Speilberg buried them here. They originally fell from the sky. That way you can accept that they didn't know about germs. Why, why mess with the fundamentals of a good story? It was cool hearing them come up from below though.

It was only the ships that were buried, the aliens themselves got into the ships via the lightening discharges. So I can still accept that they were not accustom to our germs.

GMichael
12-14-2005, 06:27 AM
A race that is smart enough for space travel? Smart enough to burry ships here millions of years ago? But not smart enough to know that there are these little organisms that live on making the rest of us sick? Earth is the only planet that has them? Lucky us, or stupid them.

It's just a movie though right? We've been force fed worse.

L.J.
12-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Finally gotta chance to see this on DVD last night. It was better than what I remembered from the theater. NICE soundtrack! When those horns go off........you guys that haven't seen it yet are in for a treat.