Whether you are for the war or not... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Whether you are for the war or not...

Audio Girl
11-26-2005, 10:17 PM
What song would you send with someone you love who is going over to the war in Iraq?

For me, in my heart I'll always have Neil Young's "My Boy" from his "Old Ways" Lp engraved on my heart. It will be included on a comp that I am putting together for my son.

Would love to hear your heartsongs you'd include with those you love or care about....

Davey
11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Whether you are for the war or not...
Well, I'm clearly in the "not" camp, but that doesn't really matter (although it may prompt me to sneak in a couple of the many anti-war songs that are on some of my favorite albums this year ;)). But right now I'm listening to one of my favorites of the year by The National, and just decided that the beautiful "Daughters of the Soho Riots" is one of the songs going on this year's edition of Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer, along with the also beautiful "The Geese of Beverly Road" that supplies my signature line. So ... I'd be inclined to put "Daughters of the Soho Riots" on my comp to my loved one, but he or she would probably think the music I like sucked since I'm so old and out of touch, so on second thought I'd try to think of something they like :)

How can anybody know
how they got to be this way
You must have known I'd do this someday
Break my arms around the one I love
And be forgiven by the time my lover comes
Break my arms around my love

BTW, you can watch the video for it at http://mathieu.saura.free.fr/site/nuit/little%20icons%20little%20index/daughtersindex.html

Hyfi
11-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Artist: Ten Years After Lyrics
Song: I'd Love to Change the World

http://members.tripod.com/tenyearsafter0/HTMLobj-3033/I_D_LOVE_TO_CHANGE_THE_WORLD.wma

Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more?

I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you

Population keeps on breeding
Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy
Life is funny, skies are sunny
Bees make honey, who needs money, Monopoly

World pollution, there's no solution
Institution, electrocution
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war

Mary, my prayers are with you both,

Hyfi

Davey
11-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Ten Years After
Ya know, Ten Years After and Alvin Lee don't really get the recognition they deserve anymore, at least it doesn't seem like they do. There are a ton of lesser bands from the early 70s that get a lot more praise for doing a lot less. Maybe it's just that the British blues-rock music has fallen a bit out of favor as of late, I think. Or maybe I'm just biased because Alvin Lee has the same birthday as me, although a decade earlier ;)

Anyway, cool song, even if kind of worn out by radio play and a bit on the naive side for us oldtimers that lived it the first time around.

richmon
11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Warren Zevon's Envoy ..not much change in over 20 years since he wrote it:

Nuclear arms in the Middle East
Israel is attacking the Iraqis
The Syrians are mad at the Lebanese
And Baghdad does whatever she please
Looks like another threat to world peace
For the envoy

Things got hot in El Salvador
CIA got caught and couldn't do no more
He's got diplomatic immunity
He's got a lethal weapon that nobody sees
For the envoy
Send the envoy
Send the envoy

Whenever there's a crisis
The President sends his envoy in
Guns in Damascus
Woa, Jerusalem

Nuclear arms in the Middle East
Israel is attacking the Iraqis
The Syrians are mad at the Lebanese
And Baghdad do whatever she please
For the envoy
Send the envoy . . .
Send for me

Swish
11-27-2005, 04:47 PM
What song would you send with someone you love who is going over to the war in Iraq?

For me, in my heart I'll always have Neil Young's "My Boy" from his "Old Ways" Lp engraved on my heart. It will be included on a comp that I am putting together for my son.

Would love to hear your heartsongs you'd include with those you love or care about....

a year or so ago, around the time you dropped out of sight for many moons. It's the title track from Death Cab For Cutie's "Transatlanticism". You do remember that comp, don't you AG? And we still need to have that phone conversation.

Swish