Guitar buying advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar buying advice

Jim Clark
11-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Mason (soon to be 14) has finally found something that he's pretty good at and likes to practice - guitar. So far he's been learning on an accoustic guitar but for his birthday/Christmas he'd really like an electric. He has a number of buddies learning guitar too which is part of my dilemma. My goal isn't to get him the best, but one that's suitable for a new player and at the same time won't make him owner of the crappiest axe among his peers. Several of his friends families have much more money than we do so having the "best" ain't going to happen.

His guitar teacher gave us three options that he thought would be good:

An Ibaneez starter pack

Epihone SG or Les Paul

A cheap Paul Reed Smith (apparently cheap here means 500 bucks)

My brother who has a degree in Classical guitar said that to invert the list would give me his choices from top to bottom as to the best guitars. After an online search I'm leaning towards the Epihone Les Paul 100 which is about 300. Good choice? Any others to add to the list?

I'll also need to be grabbing a practice amp and I'll want to keep that around 100 if possible and if you have "the one" I'd love to hear about it.

j? Swish? Rick? Nobody? Anybody???

Regards,
jc

GMichael
11-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey Jim,

That's great. The Epihone SG or Les Paul are probably your best bet in that price range. I have an Epiphone Genisses and have always liked it. My Steinberger is much nicer but would cost much more. I'm not sure if they have an entry model. But if the do, it wouldn't really be "entry level." They make exceptional instruments. Here is their link. http://www.gibson.com/products/steinberger/

They used to be here in Newburgh before Gibson bought them out and moved them to Nashville.

Happy hunting.

Swish
11-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Mason (soon to be 14) has finally found something that he's pretty good at and likes to practice - guitar. So far he's been learning on an accoustic guitar but for his birthday/Christmas he'd really like an electric. He has a number of buddies learning guitar too which is part of my dilemma. My goal isn't to get him the best, but one that's suitable for a new player and at the same time won't make him owner of the crappiest axe among his peers. Several of his friends families have much more money than we do so having the "best" ain't going to happen.

His guitar teacher gave us three options that he thought would be good:

An Ibaneez starter pack

Epihone SG or Les Paul

A cheap Paul Reed Smith (apparently cheap here means 500 bucks)

My brother who has a degree in Classical guitar said that to invert the list would give me his choices from top to bottom as to the best guitars. After an online search I'm leaning towards the Epihone Les Paul 100 which is about 300. Good choice? Any others to add to the list?

I'll also need to be grabbing a practice amp and I'll want to keep that around 100 if possible and if you have "the one" I'd love to hear about it.

j? Swish? Rick? Nobody? Anybody???

Regards,
jc

I will tell you that crappy guitars are probably the main reason many give up trying. They're hard enough to learn without having to take your first lessons on a POS that would hard to play for an experienced guitarist.

What's really funny is that my neighbor asked me to hide a guitar a my house that she bought her son for Christmas, and it happens to be an Epiphone Les Paul. Really! I can assure you that, for $300, it's not a bad buy at all. I was just tuning it up and played it for a few minutes, and assure you it handles just fine, with nice action and feel. I didn't plug it in, but would bet the electronics are going to be average, but fine for a young lad who is just starting out. I say go for it if you don't want to spend $500 on the PRS.

As for the amp, I'm not sure what $100 will get you, but it won't be very pleasant in my opinion. I would try to stetch that a little bit and get a nice Fender practice amp that will run you about $200, may $250. I'll hafta do some research, because I haven't shopped for something like that in many moons.

Good luck!

Swish

Jim Clark
11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-i27928.music

As I've learned, there are about 100 different Les Paul Epiphone guitars of varying prices. If it's not too much trouble Swish could you tell me if this particular model is cool? Apparently one of the differences that account for price is a bolt on neck vs. a built through (or whatever it's called). This model has a bolt on neck which is why it's 150 less than the one I saw at the store today. Personally I think that this may be the one in terms of value but if I was sure I wouldn't have posted!

Thanks for all of the respones so far, much appreciated. Gmicheal, thanks to you too. I've started poking around your link but as you suspected, I think it's going to cost a lot more than I am really looking to spend. I guess I could cancel my Anthem AVM 30 order. Nah...

Regards,
jc

GMichael
11-26-2005, 03:26 PM

As I've learned, there are about 100 different Les Paul Epiphone guitars of varying prices. If it's not too much trouble Swish could you tell me if this particular model is cool? Apparently one of the differences that account for price is a bolt on neck vs. a built through (or whatever it's called). This model has a bolt on neck which is why it's 150 less than the one I saw at the store today. Personally I think that this may be the one in terms of value but if I was sure I wouldn't have posted!

Thanks for all of the respones so far, much appreciated. Gmicheal, thanks to you too. I've started poking around your link but as you suspected, I think it's going to cost a lot more than I am really looking to spend. I guess I could cancel my Anthem AVM 30 order. Nah...

Regards,
jc

Noooooooooooo Don't cancel your Anthem AVM 30 order. The Epiphone will be a great starter. But I would opt for the model without the bolt on neck. Maybe they have changed over the years. But what I remember about these was that you would end up needing to tune it more often because of possible movement of the neck/head. I'm sure it's still a good model for a starter. And with such a good name it shouldn't be hard to sell when it's time to upgrade. Warning: musicians tend to keep all of their instruments through the years. Even when the upgrade bug hits you may have to pry that old one out of his hands.

N. Abstentia
11-26-2005, 05:14 PM
$100 Won't get you much of an amp, I would get this one at a bare minimum:
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-VOX-AD30VT.html

I have the 50 watt version which is $359. It's seriously scary how good these amps are. It comes way to close for comfort to my $2500 Soldano amp. Honestly.

For a guitar, here's a good alternative to Epiphone, which I don't care for:
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ESP-EC50-TTM--brand-89.html
Plus it's $100 cheaper so you can get the better amp with it.

Plus..let's face it. ESP is a much cooler guitar and he will get mucho points from his friends. Having an Epiphone is kinda like having a Fisher stereo.

kexodusc
11-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I bought one of those ESP's N. Abstentia mentioned for my wife just a few weeks ago...Nice piece.
There's a lot of really good, cheap knock-off brands from China, Korea, etc that are just as good for pretty cheap too. For amps, I'd just go with those $200 Fender amps...You pretty much get what you pay for there. Tons of kids are getting by with those cheap 8" Peavey units, which do the trick nicely for next to no money. I'd hit a pawn shop and buy a used amp myself.

Geoffcin
11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
I bought one of those ESP's N. Abstentia mentioned for my wife just a few weeks ago...Nice piece.
There's a lot of really good, cheap knock-off brands from China, Korea, etc that are just as good for pretty cheap too. For amps, I'd just go with those $200 Fender amps...You pretty much get what you pay for there. Tons of kids are getting by with those cheap 8" Peavey units, which do the trick nicely for next to no money. I'd hit a pawn shop and buy a used amp myself.

It's a pretty whacky amp. You need to be a programmer to get the best out of it, but it does some seriously cool things like laying down a rythm track, and sounding like lots of different amps. About the only think hurting about it is that it doesn't have much power, but that can be a godsend when your little Angus Young wants to blow the windows out!

Mike Anderson
11-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Jim,

Long-time guitar player here. Over the years I've patronized Gibson and PRS mostly, so I know quite a bit about these guitars.

First, you should know there are many, many forums out there geared towards guitarists and related gear, and you'll probably get more feedback there.

When you say "cheap PRS" for $500, what you're talking about are the imports; good luck finding a genuine USA PRS for $500! The first one I bought was $3k, and I paid $8k for a customized one-off PRS. I don't know how good the imports are, but I can tell you they're nowhere near a USA made PRS, so make sure you keep that in mind when shopping.

My advice: Your son needs to figure out what kind of guitar he wants. It depends a lot on what kind of music he plays, and what feels comfortable to him. Generally, Gibson-style guitars (usually with humbucker pickups) get better high-gain (distortion) sounds. Fender-style guitars (usually with single-coil pickups) get better clean sounds.

That's a generalization though, and there are many ways to process a guitar signal so as to get a good sound no matter what.

However, having a comfortable instrument is important. When I first started playing, my fretboard hand used to cramp up all the time -- I didn't know it at the time, but my hands were too large for the skinny little neck on the guitar I had. Also, guitars that are too heavy or poorly balanced can make it a lot less fun to play.

Finally, there is a real art to matching guitars with amps so as to get a certain type of sound.

So your son should really get out there and play a large variety of guitars running into a large variety of amps, so he can figure out just what he likes. The bottom line in the whole process should be: Does he really like playing that guitar through that amp.

That's all that matters at this stage. And this is important, because if he doesn't enjoy playing right off, he's a lot less likely to continue playing in the long run.

Good luck, and if you have any specific questions or more information about what your son is looking for, I'd be glad to help.

Dusty Chalk
11-27-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't have anything to add here, but this small piece of advice: a friend of mine who plays a pretty standard guitar plays through something called a "VG-8", and he can make it sound like pretty much anything else, including bass and acoustic. Something to keep in mind for later on down the road.

Jim Clark
11-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Aye Carumba, lot's of people in the know here and it's very helpful, thanks a million.

Some things I've learned and will follow-

Amp will now most likely be bought at a pawn shop. This won't bother my son in the least especially if he gets a better amp out of the deal. My hundred dollar plan wasn't very bright but hopefully used I can keep it kind of close and still get a more substantial amp. I'm going to look really hard for something from Vox Valvetronix with Fender as a back up. I'm not going to work really hard at matching at this point. If I get a poor match (I doubt he'd know for quite a while) Mason has over a grand in the bank saved up and he can buy whatever he wants.

The amp will be bigger than I planned but it will most definetly have a CD input and most importantly a headphone output. That should cover the Angus Young contingency. BTW, Geoffcin, how'd you know? Mason has my old ACDC records framed and on his wall.

I'm very surprised to learn about the ESP and Epiphone/Fischer thing. I'd have thought it was the other way around. I'll see if there's any in town to take him to look at. I'm sure there are places here that have them.

And finally, Mr. Anderson thanks for your great primer especially related to the PRS. I do have one question you could probably address: What is the reason/advantage of a semi-hollow electric guitar? Going through pages upon pages online I saw an Epiphone Dot semi hollow guitar (I'm sure there are other brands). The reason I'm asking is that for not much more than 300, this guitar had a set neck. Since the majority of guitars don't seem to be like this, it may not be suitable for rock but I figured I'd ask.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-EPI-EDTS-WB--brand-87.html

Thanks again for all of the replies.

jc

Mike Anderson
11-27-2005, 08:45 AM
A semi-hollow guitar is designed to give a more acoustic dynamic to the electric sound.

It's quite possible to use them for rock (the Beatles did), but if your son is going to be playing high-gain/distorted at high volumes in a band, he will have a bigger problem with feedback.

So it isn't necessarily optimal for rock (depending on how you define rock), but it's possible. It's better for jazz.

Is that what your son is interested in? He should definitely try one out first, if so.

BTW, I don't know if this is something you want to put under the X-Mas tree, but this isn't the kind of thing you want to surprise your son with.

Don't rule out bolt-on necks, BTW. Tuning most likely isn't going to be a huge problem. In fact a lot of people explicitly prefer the bolt-on sound; it's usually associated with Fender-type guitars.

What kind of music is your son going to be playing? If it's AC/DC type rock, look into getting an SG. My first guitar was a 1963 Gibson SG Junior with the P-90 pickup in the bridge, and it ROCKED. (I still have it in fact.)

Here's the PRS import version:

http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/sesoapbar2.html

Those black soapbar-shaped pickups are P-90s, and they get a GREAT crunchy rock sound. Think "Mississippi Queen".

BTW, that's a guitar your son might look at. I haven't played one of those, but I bet they're pretty good for the money. You could probably get a used one for $300 or so.

Plus, it's a PRS so it'll carry the prestige factor, if your son is interested in impressing his friends (and what 14-yr-old isn't!)

Mike Anderson
11-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Here's a PRS SE (that's the Korean import) with the two soapbar P-90 pickups, on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRS-PAUL-REED-SMITH-SOAPBAR-II-2-2005-GUITAR-P-90_W0QQitemZ7369911028QQcategoryZ33045QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

The buy-it-now price is $350; it will probably go for less than that.

That guitar will get a great rock sound. It will also be light, well-balanced, and fairly easy to play. So will this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRS-Santana-SE-Vintage-Cherry-Like-New-condition_W0QQitemZ7369262171QQcategoryZ33045QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

If you wanted to try one out, Guitar Center carries PRS guitars, so if there's one near you your son could try them out there. Just keep in mind the difference between the Korean ones, and the U.S. ones, because the latter will be waaaaay too expensive!

Mike Anderson
11-27-2005, 09:04 AM
This shot has a good close-up of P-90 pickups:

http://nvo.com/cd/nss-folder/pictures/shinytop.jpg

That's my custom one-off PRS; designed it myself.

MindGoneHaywire
11-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Jim, don't have much time at the moment, but I'd say don't rule out a Fender comparable to Gibson's Epiphones, like a Squire. Don't know how much they are these days but for a starter...it's certainly not a Gibson, but a lot of people prefer Fenders for their versatility. I'm not big on Strats, but they seem to work for most people, and there are Squire Teles too. And I do think that in some ways only a collector or a longtime pro is going to be able to tell the difference. In fact, I've known a couple of extremely accomplished players who use Squires on stage unless it's a special occasion. Regardless of that, though, I do think that it's easier to try to get a Gibson-type sound out of a Fender than it is to get a Fender-type sound out of a Gibson. And I'm big on single-coil, I just think it's more versatile...Johnny Ramone got something I'd say is a humbucker sound, if not a Gibson tone, with a single-coil guitar not all that far off from a Fender. Same guitar the Ventures used, if that gives you an idea...it's going to depend on what it is he wants to do. I'll try to get back on this later...

N. Abstentia
11-27-2005, 09:49 AM
No matter what guitar you decide on, I still think the Vox Valvetronix amp is the way to go for sure. It pretty much negates the 'guitar must match the amp' thing because it's an actual tube amp emulator that emulates 11 different amps. There are 3 Fender amps, 3 Marshall amps, 2 Vox amps, Mesa, Soldano, and Dumble. Will a $239 amp sound exactly like a $4000 Soldano or Dumble? Of course not, but it's mighty close and it's the most versatile amp I've ever seen for the price. It also has built in effects which themselves can lead to endless hours of just noodling.

N. Abstentia
11-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Sweet PRS Mike! Hang onto that Singlecut like your life depends on it!

Gibson's bullying tactics and lawsuits against PRS have turned me against any Gibson/Epiphone product forever...like subpar quality and overpricing wasn't enough reason :)

Here's my PRS CE24, custom ordered in 1994. Cost me $1500 back then! That price ain't gonna happen these days!

http://www.chuckamuck.com/guitars/prs/pages/DSCF0079.htm

Swish
11-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Regards,
jc

in cherry sunburst. I do like Les Paul's and all, but I don't own one at present. They're among the heaviest guitars you can buy, and having one slung over your should for an hour or so gets kinda nasty. This Epiphone model is a different story though, as it's slimmer and much lighter than the Gibby, and I think it's a good choice for your son.

I did read J's reply about the Squire Strat and have to agree, although the Japanese version were much better than the latter Korean and Mexican made models. I owned a red Jap and it was excellent, and I could kick myself for selling the thing some 12 years or so ago. I paid about $230 for it at Sam Ash, with the case, and it was untouchable in that price range. I've played the Korean and Mexican versions and I think they really are a step down in quality, espcially in the electronics. They look and feel ok and are prolly fine or a beginner, but I still say the Epiphone is a good choice, so why muddy the waters any further.

I think N.Abstentia's recommend on the Vox is also a fine choice if you're ok with the price. There just aren't too many amps that are worth buying for less than that, unless you can find a good used one, but you have to know what you're buying.

Good luck,
Swish

Mike Anderson
11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Sweet PRS Mike! Hang onto that Singlecut like your life depends on it!

Sweet, isn't it? That's the first Singlecut w/P-90s that PRS ever made. It also has a rosewood neck. It could be worth a fortune some day, but I'll never sell it.

I've only seen one other PRS Singlecut w/P-90s (not counting the Korean models), although there may be a few more out there.

3-LockBox
11-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Amp will now most likely be bought at a pawn shop. This won't bother my son in the least especially if he gets a better amp out of the deal.

jc

I was just about to type this very thing. No, most male kids aren't going to quibble over whether or not something is used, as long as it works and advances their goal, and especially since he's getting a new guitar in the process anyway.

Sounds like he'll have a great Christmas. And a noisy New Year ;)

3-LockBox
11-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Mason (soon to be 14) has finally found something that he's pretty good at and likes to practice - guitar. So far he's been learning on an accoustic guitar but for his birthday/Christmas he'd really like an electric.

jc

What day is his birthday? I was born in late December and I always got the combo gift (you know: Happy B'day/Merry X-mas) and I thought it *SUCKED!!!

*(note the lack of smiley? I'm still haunted by this.....:()

Jim Clark
11-28-2005, 05:34 AM
What day is his birthday? I was born in late December and I always got the combo gift (you know: Happy B'day/Merry X-mas) and I thought it *SUCKED!!!

December 24. Not really ideal, but what are you going to do? We work pretty hard to avoid the combo thing though.

The trip to Guitar Center was eye opening and disappointing. We had a chance to play the Les Paul 100. the sales man plugged it into a 1,300 dollar Marshall amp to "show you what the guitar was capable of". Then, without our asking he brought in a 1,300 Gibson, "just to show the difference". It's goes without saying that even I could tell a major difference in tone. Then as salesmen do, he brought in a different epihphone, this time 200 dollars more to show how for "just a little bit more money" you could come awfully close to the Gibson sound. At this point, the damage was done. We are still considering our options. I'm going to Sam's Loan Office tomorrow to check out amps. We did try some amps yesterday and that Vox was pretty cool although the sales guy was pushing an Epiphone 10 watt tube amp for a mere 119. He pretty much didn't like the vox at all and I'm not sure why. Is that Vox a SS piece? I thought it was tubed too with a name like Valvetronic.

Regards,
jc

GMichael
11-28-2005, 06:24 AM

My mom's birthday is December 23rd. One year when I was still very young, I thought, hey, instead of buying mom two $20 - 25 gifts, why not get her one $40 - 50. This way she can get one nice gift instead of two crappy ones.

Big mistake! I still have tire marks on my back from when she went up one side of me and down the other.

Combo gifts do not work. They feel ripped off. Even if you spend twice as much, it doesn't matter.

3-LockBox
11-28-2005, 08:02 AM
The trip to Guitar Center was eye opening and disappointing. We had a chance to play the Les Paul 100. the sales man plugged it into a 1,300 dollar Marshall amp to "show you what the guitar was capable of". Then, without our asking he brought in a 1,300 Gibson, "just to show the difference". It's goes without saying that even I could tell a major difference in tone. Then as salesmen do, he brought in a different epihphone, this time 200 dollars more to show how for "just a little bit more money" you could come awfully close to the Gibson sound. At this point, the damage was done. We are still considering our options. I'm going to Sam's Loan Office tomorrow to check out amps. We did try some amps yesterday and that Vox was pretty cool although the sales guy was pushing an Epiphone 10 watt tube amp for a mere 119. He pretty much didn't like the vox at all and I'm not sure why. Is that Vox a SS piece? I thought it was tubed too with a name like Valvetronic.

Regards,
jc

Yikes Jim, you wouldn't take a girlfriend to the jewelry store would you?

I always snoop around first and tell the salesperson my expectations first, and I always try to control the shopping experience. I know he's trying to make a living but what he did was sleazy.

LeoFenderBender
11-28-2005, 08:25 AM
I have two suggestions: (1) get a name-brand guitar that (2) plays well. Keep in mind that electric guitars are easier to play than acoustics but electrics also need an amp. Acoustics are also more difficult to resell unless you buy much higher quality. When choosing an amp, determine whether he will need it to be loud enough just for practicing or for playing with others - there are plenty of solid-state amps with enough features to keep his interest.

The best way to keep your son’s interest is by getting a guitar that plays well. If he already has the discipline to practice, get him something nice. If you (later) find he doesn’t have the discipline, getting a name brand will guarantee you will get more money back from the purchase when you resell it. Lesser makes will resell at significant discounts. Name brands are more readily snapped up in the used market.

Some good quality electrics:
Fender MIM (Made in Mexico) electrics – the Stratocaster is the best for resale - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED; Anything made by Godin will be ready to play and are excellent value guitars - RECOMMENDED; The Yamaha Pacifica is also a good value but will be difficult to resell.

Be prepared to spend around $50 on a setup – that will enhance playability and make the guitar play as well as it is capable of playing.

Good luck!

Mike Anderson
11-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Screw the GC salesmen. (Sorry, I should have warned you about them.)

I wouldn't buy a guitar at Guitar Center to save my life. Should you go there again, just make it clear that you only want to try out a specific guitar or amp, and leave your wallet at home. You're not there to buy, only to get a sense of what it is you want.

Believe it or not, it's quite possible to get a fairly inexpensive rig that sounds good and plays well. You have to be smart about it, and try out lots of guitars, but it can be done. Ignore whatever the salesman tells you and go with your ears and hands (or your son's ears and hands, since he's the one who knows how it should sound and whether it's comfortable.)

dean_martin
11-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I've seen the cheap Vox amps and I was not impressed. They're certainly not the same quality of Vox that Hendrix played through.

For a decent practice amp with ok built-in digital effects (overdrive/distortion, delay, reverb,flange) give the small Marshall amps a try. I bought my son one 2 or 3 Christmases ago. He uses it with his Epiphone LP100 (the same model you mentioned) and his Ibanez acoustic-electric. The amp has a cd player input. We use it to mic vocals when my other son, the drummer, gets his band together for practice. It's a handy-dandy device that sounds good for the money. Here's a link from Musician's Friend - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/483187/

You can get a model without the effects for less money, but you might spend more money on effects boxes later. IMO, the bigger, nicer amp with add-on effects pedals, etc. comes later when he has an idea of the tone he wants. (Also, Peavy amps seem to be popular for practice amps, but I haven't tried one.)

Finally, I'm a Fender man (Jazzmaster, Mustang, Princeton Reverb tube amp), but I was intrigued with the Epiphone Dot Arch Top semi-hollowbody. I tried one, but didn't like the feel of the neck - I thought the fretboard had sharp edges that were uncomfortable. As far as Fender goes, I'm surprised by the number of working musicians who use Strat copies from other manufacturers - they must be doing something right for much less money. The Strat and Strat copies are popular because of the variety of tones you can get without any fuss. I can't recommend a manufacturer for a Strat copy, but that might be something to look in to. You might be able to get better quality with another manufacturer as opposed to going with a Squier or even a Mexican Fender. In the heirarchy of Fender, US-made and Japan-made are a close 1, 2 with Mexico and Korea at the bottom. You'll pay through the nose for a US made Fender. IMO, the Japan-made Fenders represent the best value - my Jazzmaster is an MIJ.

ToddL
11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Jim
I think you mentioned you are near the TO area, if so go to Long and Mquade (this may be spelt wrong) we don't have the music superstores that the American's have but this is close. Also you can find some really nice Mexican Strats that are a lot cheaper than the US one's, the nice ones are about a 1 in 20 but they are out there because of inconsistancies in Mexican production that sometimes works out well.

Jim Clark
11-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Jim
I think you mentioned you are near the TO area, if so go to Long and Mquade (this may be spelt wrong) we don't have the music superstores that the American's have but this is close. Also you can find some really nice Mexican Strats that are a lot cheaper than the US one's, the nice ones are about a 1 in 20 but they are out there because of inconsistancies in Mexican production that sometimes works out well.

Thanks for the replies, one and all. Not much time right now but wanted to acknowledge the continued replies.

Todd, you lost me which really isn't all that hard to do. I live in Lenexa, a suburb of Kansas City. Not really sure what the TO area is, unless that's Topeka? If so I'll see what I can do to check out that store. Maybe they have an online presence. Thanks much.

Regards,
jc

ToddL
11-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry I had you mixed up with another member, in that case check guitar center.

MindGoneHaywire
11-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Jim...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519633/?c_tid=topseller

I own a Japanese Jazzmaster myself & while most people will insist that the American-mades are better, only the truest of snobs will insist that the Japanese issues are not as good. Yes, they're a cut above the Mexican & Korean models. But that's something that I'm not sure is going to matter all that much to a beginner. Really.

Fender may not be what yr kid wants in terms of tone, playability, etc. But I can't see what good spending more than this is going to accomplish for a beginner. I disagree with the notion of thinking about resale value, or that whether or not interest will be retained has anything to do with how good the gear is. If you want to play, you'll play on a jail guitar, on a guitar that looks like Willie Nelson's with the hole in it. My first acoustic was a no-name pos that I played into the ground for 10 years until I got an Ovation that I still own; my first electric was a no-name pos that I played the crap out of for 6 years until I picked up my first name guitar, a Rickenbacker I later traded for my Jazzmaster. And my first bass was a Univox sort of made to look like a Hofner violin bass, with the body made out of plastic. And the Precision I've been using for nearly a decade? Korean.

Unless you get unlucky & end up with a complete pos I don't think he'll notice much. When you're learning how to play an instrument is not the time when a true player is going to get caught up in the quality of the instrument, so long as it's above the relatively low level required for learning & early-stage playing. As for the amp...a tube amp for a beginner? I don't see why. A kid is going to be more concerned with portability than sound quality, in my estimation. If it doesn't sound like complete poopy, why get tubes that insure that the amp has to be treated better than one would reasonably expect a 14-year old to treat this? Someone might counter that even a beginner should learn how to treat gear properly, but I know plenty of long-time players who didn't necessarily follow this as beginners & may not have grown into it if they hadn't had the flexibility to knock the thing around--or at least not feel like they've trashed a valuable antique if it accidentally falls on the floor.

I struggled with inferior gear for years when I was learning because I knew that if I stuck with it that one day it'd warrant acquiring the better gear that so many insisted I should be learning on. I didn't get their all-knowing tone then, and I don't get it now, either. I'm not saying you shouldn't spend a few hundred dollars & get a more credible match, but I will say that unless you think this is going to be a lifelong passion, I'm not sure I see the point. You could pick him up a better gtr in a year, a better amp the year after that. There's plenty of birthdays & Xmas's in the future, right? If he wants to be a player, really wants to be a player, he'll do what he has to do. The one area where I wouldn't skimp at this stage of the game is not the electronics, but the ability of the thing to stay in tune. I believe you'll do better in that area at this price point with a Fender or Squire than with a Gibson or Epiphone, but others may see it differently. My recommendation in this area is because, if the kid has an ear. he'll hear it if the thing can't stay in tune, and that's a #1 frustration-builder, way more so than an inferior tone. And even on a practice amp you can work to improve the tone with a pedal or two down the road. But one of the reasons I was able to stick with my inferior learning instruments was that they stayed in tune. Which was something I didn't realize the importance of until I started using my Rickenbacker, which never did, and was therefore unplayable in spite of how cool it looked & even sounded. So...it's going to be a matter of priorities. If getting something like a PRS makes more sense, go for it...but I'd never have thought of one of those as a guitar for a beginner.

GMichael
11-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Jim...
Fender may not be what yr kid wants in terms of tone, playability, etc. .

Wow, back in the 70's, if you didn't own a Straticaster you weren't cool. I got my Epiphone because I couldn't aford a Fender. Even when I got the Steinburger there were a few who would ask me why I didn't get a Strat.

Mike Anderson
11-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Jim...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519633/?c_tid=topseller

Jim, just so you know, I think Musician's Friend is now owned by Guitar Center.

But that's something that I'm not sure is going to matter all that much to a beginner. Really.

Fender may not be what yr kid wants in terms of tone, playability, etc. But I can't see what good spending more than this is going to accomplish for a beginner.

I have to disagree. If you want your kid to keep it up, it seems to me you'd want to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. This doesn't mean you need to spend a lot of money, but it means you should spend the time to find a guitar that's comfortable to play and sounds good to him.

Now maybe he's so driven that he'll play a string on a log, but why set up obstacles if you don't have to.

If getting something like a PRS makes more sense, go for it...but I'd never have thought of one of those as a guitar for a beginner.

The Korean PRS's most certainly are beginner's guitars. The U.S. models most certainly are not!

MindGoneHaywire
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, I think Jim was looking for a range of opinions, looks like he got a pretty wide range. I haven't had anything but positive experiences with Guitar Center, so I'm not going to agree with those bashing them. After years with little alternative to West 48th St., they were a breath of fresh air in these parts. In Guitar Center I made it clear I wasn't interested in sales talk OR 48th St. attitude. That's something that may be unique to NYC, LA, Nashville, I don't know. All I know is it was always annoying as hell, and at GC I was able to just go in & get what I wanted. But then I've never been the type to spend much time in a store. I've never had to take much time with an instrument to know whether or not it's what I want. Either it's playable, or it's not. Either it's comfortable, or it's not. It's going to sound a lot better through whatever amp they're going to plug it into, so you ask them to plug it into something that's as close to what you'll be hearing it through as possible. Most players will probably disagree with me on this stuff, but that's been my experience. I loathe being in the stores anyway, surrounded by hackers who can't find a captive audience any other way. But I've never had to return a guitar, so I've never found it necessary to test-drive it any more than I was comfortable with. Most people will probably want to take more time then me. I think letting someone know you just don't want to hear any sales talk will work as well as anything else. If a hard sell is the main complaint against GC, it's something that's never affected me. And since outfits like Sam Ash have had their in-store selection reportedly shaped at various times by personal disputes between company execs & vendors...well, outside of vintage gear, which is of course extremely expensive, I haven't seen too many mom'n'pops that have the selection of twangers GC can put out on their walls.

I maintain that if the kid really wants to be a player, he'll play on anything. If he started on an acoustic, moving to electric makes a much bigger difference than the difference between a mediocre approximation of a Les Paul vs. a mediocre approximation of a Fender. However, a Squire is probably going to be more comfortable to play sitting down, than a Les Paul. The guitars these things are based on were designed for the comfort of the player more than anything Les Paul ever put his name on, in my estimation. And I have this weird thing where, if you're going to play a Les Paul, it should be the heavy guitar he intended it to be, not some facsimile intended for beginners. I don't think of this guitar as being something geared towards beginners. But hey, that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Les Pauls for what they are. But they're serious pieces of wood for serious players, in my book--and they're heavy as lead. Leo Fender took quite a bit of scorn 50 years ago, but he did the world a big favor by putting something out there that bridged the gap between the great Les Paul (and other) guitars, and the cheap junk sold in department stores, like the Airlines, Harmony Rockets, Kay, stuff like that. As inferior as the Mexican & Korean models may be, I think there's a playability on those instruments that make them beginner-friendly. I guess someone else might see an obstacle there, but to me they're just not likely to dissuade anybody from becoming a player if they have the ability & the desire, and not necessarily in that order. But hey, if the kid wants the Epiphone Les Paul, or if it makes more sense, go for it! But, assuming that at least some practice time is going to be spent sitting down, I think most would disagree that a Les Paul-type instrument is going to be more comfortable than a Fender. Not all, of course. Everyone is different. But I hardly think a Squire constitutes putting an unnecessary obstacle in the way of a beginner.

A more arguable point is the issue of identity: an Ibanez--you mentioned a starter pack--is considered to be a heavy metal guitar, for the most part. Les Pauls, if not used for jazz, are closely associated with people like Ace Frehley, Slash, etc. Fenders are more neutral; if yr kid is very specific about what he likes & what style he wants to play, then you know which direction to go in. If he likes to play a lot of different kinds of things, I do think it's easier to get there with a more versatile instrument like a Strat, which I've never liked personally but always viewed as a good option for a starter. I do think it allows players to grow into an identity more so than the other types, since you can add effects that can approximate those, and it works better than, say, using a Les Paul to play surf music. That's not to say that you can't, of course, but I do think this is something to keep in mind, and another reason why I mention it as a good all-around choice for yr situation. But then I'm a big fan of single-coil versatility. I like the idea of a more advanced player getting his sound with as little processing as possible, and most of the players I've played with have been sticklers in this regard. Personally I love the sound of a single-coil guitar with an overdrive pedal. But...some like distortion instead! Others prefer those DOD "Grunge" pedals; then of course some people are partial to chorus...or a flanger...or a particular flavor of reverb. And then there are zoom units, and all other sorts of MIDI contraptions. I recall being at a party some years ago where someone had a zoom unit, and they were having a good time making the thing sound like all sorts of things. Eventually the guitar made its way into the hands of a friend of mine, who asked, 'can you make this sound like...a guitar?

Much like the idea of learning on an acoustic before moving on to an electric, I say that even a kid who's hell-bent on making one heck of a racket with a guitar that's shaped like an ornate medieval weapon is liable to benefit from the ability to achieve a reasonably decent clean tone while acquiring some fundamentals. And outside of a specialty item like a Rickenbacker, you can get a much better result dirtying up a good clean sound than you can cleaning up a good dirty sound...in other words, maybe one can't make a Fender going through a Fender sound like a Gibson going through a Marshall...but they can come a lot closer, with the right tools, than one can trying to make a Gibson through a Marshall, sound anything like a Fender...but all this is just player bias. It may not have any bearing on what you're going for here.

As for PRS...don't know much about them, didn't know they made beginner models. This could be appealing in being somewhere between the Gibsons & the Fenders in terms of some of the aspects I'm thinking about. When are you going to pull the trigger on this purchase, anyway? Couple weeks?

Mike Anderson
11-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I haven't had anything but positive experiences with Guitar Center, so I'm not going to agree with those bashing them.

Apparently Jim didn't share your experience! :)

I've never had to take much time with an instrument to know whether or not it's what I want. Either it's playable, or it's not. Either it's comfortable, or it's not.

As an experienced player, I can pick up a guitar and size up the instrument in less than a minute. A less experienced player will need to spend more time with it.

As I mentioned earlier, when I first started playing electric, I had a guitar with a very thin neck. Because I had large hands, I would cramp up - but only after playing for 30 minutes or so. This is a common problem.

Because of my experience, I know now that I need a large, thick neck. But there's no way I would have known the guitar wasn't right for me after picking it up and playing it for a minute or two.

outside of vintage gear, which is of course extremely expensive, I haven't seen too many mom'n'pops that have the selection of twangers GC can put out on their walls.

Where I live, that's just not true. For example, a place like Subway guitars:

http://www.fatdawg.com/

They have more guitars than you could shake a stick at, and they aren't all big $$ axes, not by a long shot.

And I have this weird thing where, if you're going to play a Les Paul, it should be the heavy guitar he intended it to be, not some facsimile intended for beginners.

Depends. If what you want is the sound of a Les Paul, you do NOT necessarily need to hang a brick around your neck. The same sound can be had in a lighter, more comfortable guitar.

I do think it's easier to get there with a more versatile instrument like a Strat

Again, I have to disagree. I have never, but never been able to get a good fat Les Paul-type sound out of a single coil Fender-type guitar. But I can routinely get a shimmering clean Fender-type sound out of a Les Paul type guitar (usually using split coil or P-90 style pickups).

Much like the idea of learning on an acoustic before moving on to an electric

I agree with this. I learned on acoustic, and played it for several years before I bought an electric.

As for PRS...don't know much about them, didn't know they made beginner models. This could be appealing in being somewhere between the Gibsons & the Fenders in terms of some of the aspects I'm thinking about.

This is definitely true of the US models, but I don't know enough about the Koreans to say so for them.

Jim Clark
11-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Being a non musical sort, this has been an interesting experience. My younger brother is a professional musician but he lives 200 miles away and hasn't been much help. One thing I've learned for certain is that guitars are a very personal item for the musicians that play them. I suspect that's true in just about every endeavor be it golf clubs for the serious player or motorcycle for an experienced rider. I was not necessarily prepared for such a wide array of opinions with guitars but that comes only from my own ignorance, which has faded only the smallest bit. You guys do have some really cool looking guitars and the pride in ownership is obvious and probably well deserved.

This thread has been a trip. In the beginning I was really hoping for replies from J and Swish since I've "known" them for many, many years now. It's been great to get such thoughtful replies from Mike, Nabstentia, GMicheal, Kex, and anyone else I'm temporarily spacing as well, I consider those as an unexpected bonus.

J- Whatever I end up with will be purchased in time for Christmas. It's way more than we spend for birthdays and truthfully, more than we will want to spend for Christmas at this point. If he was an only child it would be a different story, but he's not. We have to preserve some semblance of fairness here. He will get some other things as well, but this is the big one. As of right now, he's not excited about Fender product. I honestly don't know why but before it's all said and done, he will sit down and play the model you suggested. I don't want to be too pushy here, it's kind of like him telling me what kind of speakers to buy, it just won't work.

As things stand right now we are really still deciding what road to take and we're going to let Mason make the decision. For the guitar we are willing to spend 300.00 which will cover the Epiphone Les Paul 100 (or Fender, or whatever). He does have interest in the 500 Les Paul Standard he played at Guitar Center. Basically he's needing to decide if he wants to kick in 200 bucks for the difference. Not really very Christmasy of us but if it gets him the guitar he wants it seems to me to be our best option. He still wants to play the import PRS at the local Guitar Source where he takes lessons. He figures if 500 guitars are in play, he wants to try those as well since his teacher made the recomendation. I tend to agree. My best guess is that he'll take the 100 and be thrilled despite the fact that the GC guy implied gently that it was a POS. He's not the greedy sort at all which is why his mother and I really want him to be happy with whatever he ends up with.

Regards,
jc

Mike Anderson
11-30-2005, 08:41 AM
^^^ Sounds like a great kid.

Keep in mind that for any given price, you can always optimize the quality of your buy -- even if you've already selected a particular model.

Your son needs to understand that there is a great deal of variation from guitar to guitar, even if they're the same model. There are variances that come about in the construction process. The wood varies in density and makeup. One Les Paul might weigh 11 lbs, while another of the exact some model weighs only 8 lbs.

All these things affect the sound and playability of the guitar. This is especially true of cheaper guitars.

That's why it's important to try a large number. Even if he knows he wants Model X, he should pick up a whole bunch of X's and play them each before selecting one. Play them without plugging them into the amp. A good electric will resonate and ring out in tone, vaguely resembling an acoustic.

Also, he should play all notes on the fretboard and let them ring as long as possible. Many cheaper guitars have "dead notes". Certain notes will not sustain; once you pluck the string, the note will die out in a second or two no matter how hard you try to sustain it. Obviously, you want to avoid this.

Finally, keep in mind that a place like Guitar Center will often set up the guitar with very low action (the strings close to the fretboard). That makes it easier to play since you don't have to press down as hard on the strings. However, it also affects the tone of the guitar. Higher action will give you better sustain and clarity in the notes, and fret buzz is not a problem. Since he already plays an acoustic, this should not be a problem for him. Thus it would be preferable if he could go somewhere where he can try out the guitars when they are properly set up.

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I should also mention that the reviews on Harmony Central are what turned me towards my Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro.

You may want to look over there.

MindGoneHaywire
11-30-2005, 06:03 PM
>My best guess is that he'll take the 100 and be thrilled despite the fact that the GC guy implied gently that it was a POS.

Probably the best move. While I find that a budget Fender is a closer approximation to the real thing than a budget Gibson...if he has no interest in it, then that's probably the option that makes the most sense. If he doesn't like it he can always pick up something else down the road, and he certainly will if he sticks with it. The PRS may offer better value, but unless he's sure he's going to stick with it, he may want to hold off putting any money down at this point, at all. One way or another, it looks like you're going about this soundly.

I enjoy guitar discussions every once in awhile, & I wouldn't mind continuing this one, but it'll have to be later. There is one point that Mike made I'd like to respond to, though:

>All these things affect the sound and playability of the guitar. This is especially true of cheaper guitars.

The things referred to, weight, variances in construction, etc...this is all true. Quality controls only go so far. But I put things in a slightly different perspective with stuff like this: unless the kid is into jazz or maybe stuff like Steely Dan, some--a lot--of those differences may only be of minimal importance. Most 14-year-olds like to make a racket in the garage. Instruments like PRS have always struck me as being for players who've gotten that sort of thing out of their system (and some people never do). Of course, the marketplace changes all the time, so it may well be in vogue for kids to play gtrs like those, and I wouldn't know. But my point is that while it is of course good to keep that sort of advice in mind, its importance is going to vary at least as much depending on what type of player you're talking about, and what he or she is going to be doing.

Some of the other stuff I'll try to get back to later...best of luck, in any case, of course!

pelly3s
11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
what i would do is take him to a music store and put a ton of different guitars into his hands and see what he is more comfortable with.... and definately think of going used. I took my cousin to buy a new guitar and i had him play over 50 different ones before making his mind up

Mike Anderson
11-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Most 14-year-olds like to make a racket in the garage.

Perhaps. But he won't be 14 for long.

Believe it or not, I bought my first electric guitar when I was 14 too. In fact I paid $300 for it.

I still have it. By now it's worth well over $1,000; but I'll never sell it! :cool:

3-LockBox
11-30-2005, 09:58 PM
My son Dylan is a very practical 11 year old who likes to keep his room clean, mow our lawn (push mower) and work with his Papa, doing landscaping on a small scale (He can operate a small Kabota tractor). He worked all summer long and saved his money to buy an X-Box. You and I are lucky. But I do know a little about what you're going through.

When my currently useless step-son was around that age (12), he wanted an acoustic guitar. My wife will never go into a music store again without me. Not that I know jack about guitars, but the salesdude pulled the same crap with her. We wound up spending a few hundred dollars on a youth-sized acoustic guitar (I know I could spend much more than that) that he got bored with in about two months. Never touched it again. But when we were shopping for it, no way in hell was he going to accept anything under 100 bucks. (and he's still like that)

Its ok to buy down for now. If he really wants to learn to play, he'll tear-it-up with anything he gets his hands on. If he really 'shines' on the thing, then maybe you guys can spend the better part of a year or two saving-up and then step up to a better guitar. But if the guitar doesn't remain a pashion of his, and he tires of it, then you don't have a $500 or $600 doorstop setting in his bedroom.

Lots and lots of luck, Jim. You're a good dad.

3LB

Jim Clark
12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
FWIW, I bought an amp. I went with this one - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/483187/ that Dean Martin recomended. Discounted new is 169.00 I found it used for 84.00 and other than a nick on the lower right front of the cabinet it looks new. Oh, yeah, it works! Went with this because of all the amps I saw, it was the only one recomended that I found used and was portable enough for my son. He will crate this thing over to his friend's house since that's where the drum set is. I really liked the Vox, but in the end it was too big to be really all that portable unless I drive him all the time, and I'd rather not. I think it will be more than adequate for a starter amp.

Got a line on a guitar that I'm off to see now. It's one of those things that despite all of the advice, I'm thinking I'm going to take a chance on :o

Regards,
jc

Mike Anderson
12-06-2005, 08:10 AM
^^^ I had one of those amps, used it for a practice amp. It's got a cool little sound, good score.

I don't know whether it'll put out enough volume to cover a drum set though. Definitely not if you throw a bass and vocals into the mix.

Jim Clark
12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Now that I've finally figured out how to get pics from the camera into the PC I figured I'd upload pics of the final result. In the end I found a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a hard case for 400.00 at a pawn shop. No nicks, no scratches, no nothing. It was a tough call but for the money, it's hands down the best looking guitar we saw through the whole ordeal. It's actually quite beautiful and the pics don't really do it justice. I'm not so good at taking them and I probably crunched the jpegs too small but you'll get the ideal. The guys at the guitar shop where we took it to have it restrung and polished gushed over it. The over the top comments made us feel very confident in our choice. Nobody could believe that we only paid 400.00 for it. A bit more than we had planned to spend but the grandparents are going in on it and Mason loved it, so what the L. It'll be a keeper first guitar and should get them by nicely over the next couple of years.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

jc

Mike Anderson
12-18-2005, 10:16 AM
That's a beautiful guitar, congratulations! That deep cherry red with a flame top has always been one of my favorite looks.

Your son is lucky to have such a thoughtful father.

Swish
12-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Now that I've finally figured out how to get pics from the camera into the PC I figured I'd upload pics of the final result. In the end I found a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a hard case for 400.00 at a pawn shop. No nicks, no scratches, no nothing. It was a tough call but for the money, it's hands down the best looking guitar we saw through the whole ordeal. It's actually quite beautiful and the pics don't really do it justice. I'm not so good at taking them and I probably crunched the jpegs too small but you'll get the ideal. The guys at the guitar shop where we took it to have it restrung and polished gushed over it. The over the top comments made us feel very confident in our choice. Nobody could believe that we only paid 400.00 for it. A bit more than we had planned to spend but the grandparents are going in on it and Mason loved it, so what the L. It'll be a keeper first guitar and should get them by nicely over the next couple of years.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions.

jc

What amp did you settle on by the way?

Swish

Jim Clark
12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
What amp did you settle on by the way?

Swish

This one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/483187/

84.00 at another pawn shop. I know it's not going to be loud enough for gigs but I figure he really should learn how to play before we worry about that. Wish all guitarist's had the same philosphy.

And BTW, what's a flame top? I couldn't google an answer.

jc

Swish
12-18-2005, 03:54 PM
This one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/483187/

84.00 at another pawn shop. I know it's not going to be loud enough for gigs but I figure he really should learn how to play before we worry about that. Wish all guitarist's had the same philosphy.

And BTW, what's a flame top? I couldn't google an answer.

jc

You can see the stripes in the wood finish...hence the term "flame" top, which I believe is always maple, but I could be wrong. Many guitars are one solid color and you can't see any grain in the wood. Flame tops usually command a higher price as well, or are found in better quality guitars, or at least near the top of the line for that particular model. Not always, but usually. My Strat is a "Special Edition", with higher quality hardware, pickups, and it's a flame top as well, so it cost more than a standard Strat, ditto your son's Epiphone.

As for the Marshall amp, 15 watts is plenty loud and should serve him very well, and it's enough power to drive you batty if he plays it cranked up. You did a good job with your purchases, and I hope your son respects the equipment and takes good care of it. I would spend a few bucks on a book or care manual so he can learn how to keep it in good condition, how to clean it and change the strings properly. I've seen so many abused guitars and it's really a shame. A good teacher should be able to help him with that too.

Oh yeah, spend another $15-20 on a guitar stand so he doesn't resort to leaning it against a wall or the furniture. That's a recipe for disaster.

Good luck to him.

Swish

Jim Clark
12-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Well that explains it nicely, thanks for that. Since that's the case, I'm a flamer all the way. I didn't really like too many without wood grain but I'm a wood grain kinda guy.

Good advice on the other things and to be sure, many other family members are getting him guitar related accessories as their gifts to him and I know for a fact that a stand in among them. The book on care isn't overlooked either since I want him replacing his own strings from here on out.

Regards,
jc

Audio Girl
12-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Well that explains it nicely, thanks for that. Since that's the case, I'm a flamer all the way. I didn't really like too many without wood grain but I'm a wood grain kinda guy.

Good advice on the other things and to be sure, many other family members are getting him guitar related accessories as their gifts to him and I know for a fact that a stand in among them. The book on care isn't overlooked either since I want him replacing his own strings from here on out.

Regards,
jc

Jim,

You are such a kind and thoughtful Dad. Through your posts through the years (and our emails), I have always felt you were the epitome of what a father should be. You sealed the deal with this thread. God bless you, and I just hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you.

Merry Christmas!
Ag

Jim Clark
12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Jim,

You are such a kind and thoughtful Dad. Through your posts through the years (and our emails), I have always felt you were the epitome of what a father should be. You sealed the deal with this thread. God bless you, and I just hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you.

Merry Christmas!
Ag

Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be. Little smarmy tale, but one that I'm proud to relate and it's even kind of music related. Condensed version: Every year Mason saves some money in an envelope labeled for poor children and uses it to buy Christmas gifts for the less fortunate. Yesterday we were stunned to learn that he had saved 130.00. 130.00 may not sound like a lot but he only gets 10 bucks a week from us. He called the City Mission and they said they could use watches and personal CD players. We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but we were considering asking Mason to kick in a little towards his guitar since it was more than we originally planned to spend. After yesterday there's no way on God's green earth that this kid is going to pay for squat!

Merry Christmas and the best to you and your family too Mary. It's good to have you back around.

Regards,
jc

PDK
12-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be...We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread, but we were considering asking Mason to kick in a little towards his guitar since it was more than we originally planned to spend. After yesterday there's no way on God's green earth that this kid is going to pay for squat!

I've long believed that a man is ultimately measured by the character of his children. Bless you and yours!

My experience and two cents on the thread:

I've found that my first guitar was tremendously important. My first guitar: a "Grande" Les Paul copy. I got exactly what I paid for: Not much. However, it just whet my appetite to improve my playing and my equipment. Decades later, I've got a brother that is an Epiphone and Gibson dealer so I own several custom shop pieces from each but wish dearly that I still had that cheap, warped-neck, lightweight, tune-resistant piece of junk that suffered innumerable attempts at "Barracuda" on it. Tell your son to hold onto whatever you get him...

Swish
12-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for that, but the reality is that this one in particular is a better person than I will ever be. Little smarmy tale, but one that I'm proud to relate and it's even kind of music related. Condensed version: Every year Mason saves some money in an envelope labeled for poor children and uses it to buy Christmas gifts for the less fortunate. Yesterday we were stunned to learn that he had saved 130.00. 130.00 may not sound like a lot but he only gets 10 bucks a week from us. He called the City Mission and they said they could use watches and personal CD players. We went to BB and he asked for a price break so he could maximize his dollars and he bought 10 cd players and batteries to go with them and then he delivered it to the Family Christmas Store at the City Union Mission.

Merry Christmas and the best to you and your family too Mary. It's good to have you back around.

Regards,
jc

to help pay for his guitar or to add to his "City Union Mission" fund. If I'm too late, make sure you ask me next year. I'm not kidding. What a great kid.

Swish

Mike Anderson
12-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I've long believed that a man is ultimately measured by the character of his children.

What ever you do, don't tell this to my father!!! :D

Mike Anderson
12-22-2005, 06:56 PM

OK... IMHO the kid deserves a better amp! Get 'em a Marshall stack or something, alright already?

Merry Christmas JIm, you've a fine son and you're a fantastic father. There's nothing more precious in life than that (assuming mothers go in there somewhere too).

Audio Girl
12-26-2005, 03:29 PM

Regards,
jc

Hi, Jim:

Just wanted to share with you an ironic story that occurred on Christmas Eve. My best friend, a single mom, called me late morning and said she had been able to put the money together and wanted to purchase an electric guitar for her 14-year-old son (who is her youngest...her oldest boy is in Iraq with the USMC at the moment). Rhett received an old, beat up guitar this past summer and had taught himself how to play. His primary request for Christmas had been an electric guitar, he had shown her numerous guitars on the internet but she hadn't paid much attention because she didn't think the funds were going to be available. Could I help? As a matter of fact, I might...but only because of this thread.

To make a very long story short, we were able to locate an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in ebony at the Guitar Center (this guitar was actually a little over her budget, but GC was out of the Les Paul 100). Here is the amp package she purchased:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/products/images/pdl_103406674.jpg

The salesman threw in a case & guitar stand, and we were on our way at about 4:45 P.M. The store closed at 5:00 p.m.

Needless to say, Rhett loved his guitar and amp (I wasn't sure about the amp but Rhett felt like it would serve him well at this point in time). When she called me last night to report the success on this purchase, I could hear Rhett playing away in the background. It really made my Christmas to know this young man had been able to receive something that he truly deserved. Like Mason, Rhett is a thoughtful and caring young man, always trying to help others rather than seeking out things for himself.

Thank heavens for this thread...otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue nor would my friend! Thought you would enjoy the story...

Happy New Year, Jim!
Ag

Audio Girl
12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
FYI ~ Rhett's guitar looked exactly like this one:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=44&CollectionID=6

Cheers!

Jim Clark
12-27-2005, 12:55 PM
FYI ~ Rhett's guitar looked exactly like this one:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=44&CollectionID=6

Cheers!

That is absolutely awesome. What a good looking guitar, no wonder the young man is happy. I really didn't know that there were so many knowledgeable guitar people around here but with hindsight, I guess I should have known. This little joint is packed with information, some of it a bit more useful than other but that's one of the reasons this has remained my internet home over so many years.

Let's hope that somewhere along the line that some of these young people end up making some music that we all will enjoy. Mainly though, let's hope that those Americans still in Iraq can get out both safely and quickly.

Regards,
jc