How do you know that you are overdriving your speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do you know that you are overdriving your speakers?

edlchiang62
11-26-2005, 07:32 AM
The manual for my Paradigm speakers says that you must not overdrive your speakers and that if you are you will have excess visible cone excursion. How do you know that you have excess visible cone excursion? Note I am not talking about sending a clipped signal to the speaker, but rather sending too much clean watts to the speaker. Would you be able to hear that you have excess visible cone excursion? The reason I ask is that I came home one day and my wife was really playing the stereo loudly. It did not sound distorted, but I guess I need to know how loud is too loud even if the amp is not clipping? Thanks for your responses.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 07:46 AM
You would hear distortion. Even though you are sending clean power to the speakers, if they are over driven you will hear it. You would be able to hear it best from another room.

If it sounded good then they should be OK.

edlchiang62
11-26-2005, 07:50 AM
You would hear distortion. Even though you are sending clean power to the speakers, if they are over driven you will hear it. You would be able to hear it best from another room.

If it sounded good then they should be OK.

Thanks!!

ruadmaa
11-26-2005, 08:31 AM
The manual for my Paradigm speakers says that you must not overdrive your speakers and that if you are you will have excess visible cone excursion. How do you know that you have excess visible cone excursion? Note I am not talking about sending a clipped signal to the speaker, but rather sending too much clean watts to the speaker. Would you be able to hear that you have excess visible cone excursion? The reason I ask is that I came home one day and my wife was really playing the stereo loudly. It did not sound distorted, but I guess I need to know how loud is too loud even if the amp is not clipping? Thanks for your responses.

The basic rule of thumb for all audio equipment is simply this: If it sounds bad, turn it down.