CBC National Playlist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CBC National Playlist

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Check out this link. You can listen to the songs being considered for the national playlist.

I was so wrong about Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine is fantastic!

http://www.cbc.ca/nationalplaylist/

Gotta run, lunch is waiting!

Snowie

Davey
11-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey, that looks like fun. Do you follow the voting every week? That Weakerthans album got some exposure around here with my Overflow comp and the second Song of the Day comp and probably some others. Nice album. Don't know those people at 6 and 7. Are they from your side of the tracks? I like what I've heard from that Fiona Apple too, although most of what I've heard was the previously leaked version before she rerecorded it. That title track is one of the two songs she kept from the Jon Brion sessions and it's a lot of fun.

Hope you aren't working too hard today! Hahahaha ;)

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey, that looks like fun. Do you follow the voting every week? That Weakerthans album got some exposure around here with my Overflow comp and the second Song of the Day comp and probably some others. Nice album. Don't know those people at 6 and 7. Are they from your side of the tracks? I like what I've heard from that Fiona Apple too, although most of what I've heard was the previously leaked version before she rerecorded it. That title track is one of the two songs she kept from the Jon Brion sessions and it's a lot of fun.

Hope you aren't working too hard today! Hahahaha ;)

You didn't have to try so hard, Davey. I can smell a pity click from a million miles away. :o

I don't know number 6 or 7 either. Don't be lazy. Look em up for me! I'm at work today. :mad:

Ooh... Edith Frost - Lucky Charm playing on CBC as I type. Don't you wish you were in Canada? :)

Do you hear much of Bedouin Soundclash down there?

Snowbuns

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 03:47 PM
NP: Littlest Birds - Be Good Tanyas

CBC just phoned a pay phone number they found on www.phoneswarm.com and talked to Scott Matheson of Almeda? He's visiting Alcatraz with his family today and he answered the phone.

Said he loves us (Canada) we said we love you, too. Of course, we also said we celebrate Thanksgiving in July. :p

I'm so bored!!! Can you tell?

SB

Davey
11-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I can smell a pity click from a million miles away. :o
One good turn deserves another, and you've always been a good turn. And no, sense makes not to me either.

Ooh... Edith Frost - Lucky Charm playing on CBC as I type. Don't you wish you were in Canada? :)
Always. Do you think they'd let me move there? How long could I visit before the welcome mat was retracted?

Do you hear much of Bedouin Soundclash down there?
Who? Guess I shoulda said 6, 7 & 10, although I think I've heard the name. Isn't that someone FA talks about? I really should pay more attention but as you know I often PUI, not that anyone would notice (I mean, anyone besides that dustchoker guy ;))

NP: The Recital - Colour Up (This little CD has really been getting a lot of play time around here, and I don't mean that little game I showed you how to play with all those leftover comps from Sloshy, I mean real play time in the CD player. Good stuff. No turkey parts :)

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Always. Do you think they'd let me move there? How long could I visit before the welcome mat was retracted?:)

Well, if it were up to me, I'd say about 4 days. :p

I like the Soundclash - kinda reggaeish. See if this link works:

http://www.purevolume.com/bedouinsoundclash

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm going home in 5 minutes!!!

So don't think I'm ignoring you, Davey. Since we seem to have this place all to ourselfs.

:rolleyes:

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Who? Guess I shoulda said 6, 7 & 10, although I think I've heard the name. Isn't that someone FA talks about? I really should pay more attention

Ahem. Yes you should. Pay more attention that is. Just because I'm not as cute as fluffy as Snowy doesn't mean that I don't have feelings. And if you don't know why I'm so upset...I'm not going to tell you! :mad:

You haven't heard about Bedouin Soundclash from me. I actually haven't heard much of their music, although they are all the buzz 'round these parts. Kinda like Arcade Fire was six months ago.

Snowbunny, do you cross country ski? Looks like some good skiing on my street tonight. About 10 centimetres of snow so far and still coming down. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Good thing our Thanksgiving is early or you woudn't be able to tell Thanksgiving and Christmas apart. :eek:

Snowbunny
11-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Snowbunny, do you cross country ski? Looks like some good skiing on my street tonight. About 10 centimetres of snow so far and still coming down. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Good thing our Thanksgiving is early or you woudn't be able to tell Thanksgiving and Christmas apart. :eek:

I'm so jealous. It snowed in the hills here, but not down in the valley where I live. For some reason we've been having above normal temps out west, and today the kids were walking to school in shorts and t-shirts.

I do cross country ski, but I usually get a season's pass at Sun Peaks so I don't get to do the trails often. This year I'm going to alternate between downhill and cross country, if the butt muscle I pulled on the hill last week co-operates. :o

Did you go out and set some tracks tonight???

Holy mother of god, my dog reeks! Must...put...outside.....

Davey
11-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Who? Guess I shoulda said 6, 7 & 10, although I think I've heard the name. Isn't that someone FA talks about? I really should pay more attention
Ahem. Yes you should. Pay more attention that is. Just because I'm not as cute as fluffy as Snowy doesn't mean that I don't have feelings. And if you don't know why I'm so upset...I'm not going to tell you!Ahem.
Uh oh. I am kind of insensitive, aren't I? I should mention that the reason Bedouin Soundclash sounded familiar is because I have that CD, courtesy the always respectable Mike. Hehehe. I actually just listened to it a couple weeks ago too. What an idiot. But a loveable idiot, right? Anyone? :p

But back to your problem - what was your problem again? Oh yeah, you're not gonna tell me. Have we talked about Andy Stochansky or Elliott Brood before? Sorry, no bells are ringing for me right now.Or is it just another of my jokes gone awry? Ya know, I do say things occasionally that aren't meant to be taken serious ;)

Just for the record, I don't think Snowy is really all that fluffy. She is pretty cute, though ;)

Dusty Chalk
11-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Get a room, you three.

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2005, 05:26 AM
I'm so jealous. For some reason we've been having above normal temps out west, and today the kids were walking to school in shorts and t-shirts.

Now I'm jealous. I'm not a big fan of winter. Not since I had to give up skiing. Never cross-countried though. I'm a speed demon...downhill all the way. We've been having unseasonal warm temps here too. Until yesterday that is. But it's supposed to warm up to 7 on Sunday and 13 on Monday :cool: , so the snow won't be sticking around too much....this time.

Ya know, I do say things occasionally that aren't meant to be taken serious

No worries. I never take you seriously. ;)

So tell me about Andy Stochansky and Elliott Brood? Are these gems like that Andrew Bird album that I've fallen so in love with?

Davey
11-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Don't know those people at 6 and 7. Are they from your side of the tracks?
So tell me about Andy Stochansky and Elliott Brood? Are these gems like that Andrew Bird album that I've fallen so in love with?
They are the ones at 6 and 7 on the list that I don't know. I thought that's why you were so upset? Or was it because I'd rather eat cookies than listen to proggified Christmas classics? Hehehe, that review was a chuckle when he used the word "proggify". We've created many prog descriptors around here like "progilicious", but until then I hadn't considered that lots of others probably do the same silly thing :)

Hey, speaking of the Birdman, did you figure out something else to fill out that order you were making? Do you love everything about The Mysterious Production of Eggs, like me? The way the whole package is weaved together so expertly with Jay Ryan's cool artwork and Nora O'Connor's wonderful and playful vocal backing. Or are there aspects of the music or vocals or lyrics that you don't like? There does seem to be a lot of consistently positive reaction to this one, although I have seen complaints that the quality trails off in the second half (something that I kind of felt in the beginning as well, but not now at all), and that Bird tries too hard after the first few songs and loses his vision? Of course, you and I are huge fans of that "Tables and Chairs" song that comes right before the sweet birthday song closer, so it keeps me interested the whole time since that is really the big payoff. And that wonderful "The Naming of Things" also comes along in that "weak" second half. Not to mention the two great songs right before that one. Hard to figure since it seems strong all the way through.

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2005, 09:43 AM
They are the ones at 6 and 7 on the list that I don't know.

Uh oh. Now's who's guilty of not paying attention. :eek:

Hey, speaking of the Birdman, did you figure out something else to fill out that order you were making? Do you love everything about The Mysterious Production of Eggs, like me?

Okay, now you're just feigning interest to butter me up. But I'm shallow...I'll bite. :D

The order will be filled with a book that will be a Christmas gift for my Brother-in-Law. As for Mr. Bird's eggs...I'm with you. I don't find a lot of weak moments in this disk. The Birthday Song would be the weakest for me. You call it sweet, but I'm not so crazy about that one. What amazes me most about this album is that the songs probably break every rule of songwriting, yet they work so well. And although I do love Tables and Chairs, I have had a serious earworm over the last week or so from A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left. And it's not the Tic part that's earwormed it's way into my brain either, it's the opening lines...

Over prescribed
under the mister
we had survived to
turn on the history channel
and ask our esteemed panel
why are we alive?
and here's how they replied
you're what happens when two substances collide
and by all accounts you really should have died.

And some of lyrics on this disk are just a great use of words..."swapping your blood with formaldehyde". Although some of them are pretty silly too. Masterfade comes to mind.

Overall, this is my number one pick of 2005 so far. This has been a great year in music for me. I've discovered so many new (to me) bands. And my preferences have changed immensely. But I can't imagine hearing anything over the next month that could knock this one out of first place. Although, I'd love to find something else...imagine what a spectacular CD it would be!!!

Snowbunny
11-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey, speaking of the Birdman, did you figure out something else to fill out that order you were making? Do you love everything about The Mysterious Production of Eggs, like me? The way the whole package is weaved together so expertly with Jay Ryan's cool artwork and Nora O'Connor's wonderful and playful vocal backing. Or are there aspects of the music or vocals or lyrics that you don't like? There does seem to be a lot of consistently positive reaction to this one, although I have seen complaints that the quality trails off in the second half (something that I kind of felt in the beginning as well, but not now at all), and that Bird tries too hard after the first few songs and loses his vision? Of course, you and I are huge fans of that "Tables and Chairs" song that comes right before the sweet birthday song closer, so it keeps me interested the whole time since that is really the big payoff. And that wonderful "The Naming of Things" also comes along in that "weak" second half. Not to mention the two great songs right before that one. Hard to figure since it seems strong all the way through.

I'm a sucker for A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left. I love the line

And when he goes boom boom boom....

Also love the beginning of Fake Palindromes. Sounds so reminiscent of The Swimming Hour.

What happened to Bowl of Fire in the name?

Indie SnoB

Davey
11-25-2005, 12:49 PM
And although I do love Tables and Chairs, I have had a serious earworm over the last week or so from A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left. And it's not the Tic part that's earwormed it's way into my brain either, it's the opening lines...

Over prescribed
under the mister
we had survived to
turn on the history channel
and ask our esteemed panel
why are we alive?
and here's how they replied

And some of lyrics on this disk are just a great use of words..."swapping your blood with formaldehyde". Although some of them are pretty silly too. Masterfade comes to mind.

Yeah, I agree that a couple lines do come up a little silly. And that did bother me a little bit at first, but I came to realize that it's a lot more dangerous working without a net, and if he didn't take those chances and miss the mark occasionally, he probably wouldn't come up with those lines that are pure brilliance either. In just about every song there's at least one line that makes me smile wide, like in the Fake Palindromes you mention when he says, "run you hot and cold like a rheostat, I mean a thermostat", I just get a kick. Always so lyrically playful, even when he's being serious. Fun stuff and a big extra dimension for me since those kind of word games have always appealed to me.

I wrote my little review for the album at my little site way back when it first came out in March I guess, and I couldn't find any lyrics online yet. And I just had a CD-R at the time. And I also loved that opening to "Nervous Tic", and wanted to use the lines you quoted in my review, but wasn't sure of that second line "under the mister" even after listening to it over and over, so decided to use the closing set instead. Cause I hate to get the lyrics wrong. Still don't quite know what that line means, do you?

I'm a sucker for A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left. I love the line

And when he goes boom boom boom....

Also love the beginning of Fake Palindromes. Sounds so reminiscent of The Swimming Hour.

What happened to Bowl of Fire in the name?
He's got a couple of the performers from the Bowl of Fire days, especially the angel girl Nora O'Connor shading his vocals, but not that whole band. And she says "I like long walks and sci-fi movies, you're six foot tall and east coast bred, some lonely night we can get together, and I'm gonna tie your wrists with leather, and drill a tiny hole into your head." :)

He's got a pretty cool interview on NPR that I pulled those images from for my silly "there will be snacks" thread a few days ago where he explains some of those lyrics..

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2005, 01:25 PM
"under the mister"...... Still don't quite know what that line means, do you?

Nope. That's one of the "silly" lines. But the rest of that song is great. The best on the disk IMO. I love how he transitions from that first part into the Nervous Tic Motion part and then back again and it's all sooooo smooth that you almost don't even realize that you're someplace different or remember how you got there.

Even the lyrics have a nervous tic. "It's a nervous tic motion of the...of the...to the left". Just brilliant.

Davey
11-25-2005, 02:40 PM
...but wasn't sure of that second line "under the mister" even after listening to it over and over, so decided to use the closing set instead. Cause I hate to get the lyrics wrong. Still don't quite know what that line means, do you?
Nope. That's one of the "silly" lines. But the rest of that song is great. The best on the disk IMO. I love how he transitions from that first part into the Nervous Tic Motion part and then back again and it's all sooooo smooth that you almost don't even realize that you're someplace different or remember how you got there.

Even the lyrics have a nervous tic. "It's a nervous tic motion of the...of the...to the left". Just brilliant.
Yeah, it is an amazing song. That's not one of the lines think of as silly, I just don't know for sure the proper context to think of it in. If you've ever been to very hot climates, like when I lived down in Arizona, you've probably been "under the mister" because they use them at a lot of outdoor restaurants to spray a light water mist in the air to keep it a little cooler when it gets up around 115 degrees. And I think he's maybe referring to use in that aftermath from the radiation or something because of the subsequent line, "under the mister, barely alive we cover the blisters in flannel". The whole album seems to revolve around our misuse of the planet, pollution and global warming, etc, and ultimately the aftermath of that apocalyptic event (you're what happens when two substances collide), and metaphors for the same, and maybe a rebirth at the end. Like it says in the title, kind of mysterious :)

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah, it is an amazing song. That's not one of the lines think of as silly, I just don't know for sure the proper context to think of it in. If you've ever been to very hot climates, like when I lived down in Arizona, you've probably been "under the mister" because they use them at a lot of outdoor restaurants to spray a light water mist in the air to keep it a little cooler when it gets up around 115 degrees. And I think he's maybe referring to use in that aftermath from the radiation or something because of the subsequent line, "under the mister, barely alive we cover the blisters in flannel". The whole album seems to revolve around our misuse of the planet, pollution and global warming, etc, and ultimately the aftermath of that apocalyptic event (you're what happens when two substances collide), and metaphors for the same, and maybe a rebirth at the end. Like it says in the title, kind of mysterious :)

Huh. You're right. Maybe not such a silly line then. I never thought of "mister" in that context. Not a lot of need for those where I come from. :rolleyes:

audiobill
11-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Ahem.
You haven't heard about Bedouin Soundclash from me. I actually haven't heard much of their music, although they are all the buzz 'round these parts. Kinda like Arcade Fire was six months ago.
:

For those of us close to Oshawa, Ontario...
Bedouin Sound Clash are playing December 8th.

I'll be there,
Bill

Davey
11-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah, it is an amazing song. That's not one of the lines think of as silly, I just don't know for sure the proper context to think of it in. If you've ever been to very hot climates, like when I lived down in Arizona, you've probably been "under the mister" because they use them at a lot of outdoor restaurants to spray a light water mist in the air to keep it a little cooler when it gets up around 115 degrees.
Huh. You're right. Maybe not such a silly line then. I never thought of "mister" in that context. Not a lot of need for those where I come from. :rolleyes:
Hey FA, just happened to come across a little review of Eggs that kind of confirms what I was thinking about that line. Check the part in red below. Guess he was hanging with one of my other big music favorites down in the Tuscon area, probably tipping a few cold ones, and ... ;)

PUBLISHED ON FEBRUARY 10, 2005:

Rhythm & Views

By LINDA RAY

ANDREW BIRD
The Mysterious Production of Eggs (Righteous Babe)
Andrew Bird is a motherlode of charisma, enigmatic with a winking streak of anachronism. A violin virtuoso with a presence that would humble Bono, the boy is a wizard of electronic effects and a brilliant compiler of lyric metaphors. He's a sui generis rocker with an aesthetic compelling enough to carry it off.

Take, for instance, the aggressive gypsy violin rock of "Fake Palindromes." It opens with what Phil Spector's "wall of sound" might be had he hailed from Eastern Europe. The ensuing pop melody and its punchy chorus are impelled by a driven bassline. A cautionary love song, its lyrics reference blood, knee socks, monsters, lipstick and a rheostat.

Bird borrows the name of an old English folk tune, "Sovay," for a lilting ditty contemplating warmongering: "They're playing 'Ride of the Valkyries' / with no semblance of grace or ease ... acting on vagaries / with their violent proclivities." He tweaks his vocal timbre with the same dexterity he applies to the violin.

"A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left" features a lyric inspired by an afternoon under Howe Gelb's backyard mister, with passing mention of 16 tons of HAZMAT. A clangorous electric guitar leads into a pizzicato violin overdubbed with another violin tuned like a cello. Incredibly, Bird is able to embellish on all this live and solo, thanks to the wonders of modern technology. It's not to be missed.