Speaker Cabinet and Chasis Dampening.....BIG IMPROVEMENT ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cabinet and Chasis Dampening.....BIG IMPROVEMENT !

Soundideas
11-24-2005, 10:42 AM
This is a very cheap way to get that big improvement and you really have to hear this to believe it! I put a five pound weight on my satellite receiver and two five pound weights on my stereo receiver and three sand pebbles ceramic tiles on top of each speaker (I stacked the tiles on top of each other) You can now fine tune the sound of your stereo system to your liking now! Just start my moving the weights and tiles around in different spots until you get the sound you like best......this does take a lot of time to get the sound to your liking. It's better if you have one person moving the weights around while your listening to your music......believe me, your going to know it when you find those magic spots! When you get it right....it's like listening to LIVE MUSIC! Now the magic weight may not be five pounds for everybody....it might be more or less, it's the same with the tiles too.....you might like the sound with only two tiles or some will like it with more.....but when you get it right your going to be AMAZED at the improvement! THIS IS THE REAL DEAL ! :cool:

3db
11-24-2005, 10:53 AM
This is a very cheap way to get that big improvement and you really have to hear this to believe it! I put a five pound weight on my satellite receiver and two five pound weights on my stereo receiver and three sand pebbles ceramic tiles on top of each speaker (I stacked the tiles on top of each other) You can now fine tune the sound of your stereo system to your liking now! Just start my moving the weights and tiles around in different spots until you get the sound you like best......this does take a lot of time to get the sound to your liking. It's better if you have one person moving the weights around while your listening to your music......believe me, your going to know it when you find those magic spots! When you get it right....it's like listening to LIVE MUSIC! Now the magic weight may not be five pounds for everybody....it might be more or less, it's the same with the tiles too.....you might like the sound with only two tiles or some will like it with more.....but when you get it right your going to be AMAZED at the improvement! THIS IS THE REAL DEAL ! :cool:

snakeoil BS clearly put here to waste server space .

Soundideas
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
snakeoil BS clearly put here to waste server space . This is no SNAKE OIL ! This really works! TRY IT AND FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT ON ALL THIS TIME ! I WOULD BET THE FARM ON THIS ONE ! :cool:

GMichael
11-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh my! This was great reading. You sure know how to make a guy laugh. Now who are you, really? Come on. Do I need to break out my dead cat again?

Soundideas
11-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh my! This was great reading. You sure know how to make a guy laugh. Now who are you, really? Come on. Do I need to break out my dead cat again?
This so good that it will have that dead cat of your's speaking in tongues! :eek: :D The size of these sand pebbles tiles are about 8 inches by 8 inches and are about 1/4 of of inch thick and are outdoor tiles......they are rustic like in color.......I already had people E-mailing me saying that they can not find these sand pebbles tiles anywhere ( I have this on other forums too) so your have contact Alex from www.mihorn.com and find out where he got his at....I had some left over from 13 years ago.....they might be hard to find today

calegrant
11-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Isn't this the same moron who buys speakers out of the back of the famous "white vans"?

GMichael
11-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Isn't this the same moron who buys speakers out of the back of the famous "white vans"?

He has got to be one of the regulars posting under this name to stir things up. Gotta be it. Gottabe!

N. Abstentia
11-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Gotta be. Nobody is really that stupid.

So give yourself up...who are you?!!?!?

Pat
11-25-2005, 07:56 AM
He is a salesman that much is clear.

If you would like to try some tile on the cheap go to your local Home Store and find ceramic, vinyl, or porcelein tile very cheap for anywhere from $1.00 to $10.00 per tile.

I guess the tweak he has mentioned has to do with simple isolation, coupling, de-coupling which can be done with very inexpensive material available at the local hardware store.

GMichael
11-25-2005, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=Pat] He is a salesman that much is clear.

/QUOTE]

That's what I thought at first too. Try this, try that. But now he's basicly saying that if we go out and get pet rocks and place them on our amps and speakers everything will sound so much better.

He's got to be a regular who's bored and want's to stir us up. Kinda like a fireman who starts fires to be in on the action. We had a couple of those in this area a few years back. The thing that got them cought was that they always showed up at the fires before anyone else.

So let's go back and see who is the first reply to each of his threads. My money says that's who the culprit is. Most likely, they are the hardest on him as well.

GMichael
11-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Ut oh, it looks like it's me. But it's not. Really.

JohnMichael
11-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Some of his ideas sound like they are out of the Mapleshade catalog. They advocate weights on components and check out their free tweaks, interesting. They also recomend placing small speakers close to the floor and angled up to the listener. Of course that will reinforce the bass.

By the way GMichael I would think your avatar would be missing its head the day after Thanksgiving.

GMichael
11-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Some of his ideas sound like they are out of the Mapleshade catalog. They advocate weights on components and check out their free tweaks, interesting. They also recomend placing small speakers close to the floor and angled up to the listener. Of course that will reinforce the bass.

By the way GMichael I would think your avatar would be missing its head the day after Thanksgiving.

Uhg. He got a pardon. I like his long neck.

N. Abstentia
11-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.chuckamuck.com/photos/misc/turk.jpg

GMichael
11-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.chuckamuck.com/photos/misc/turk.jpg

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! What did you do to Fred?

Fred! Speak to me! Are you OK?

GMichael
11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Oh the horror! You raise a pet from a baby egg to be a part of your family for what? A few drum sticks?

Who wants sandwiches?

Soundideas
11-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Just talking about this tweak is NOT going to get you anywhere :rolleyes: You people are missing out on something BBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

GMichael
11-25-2005, 01:08 PM
He's right. I put my bowling bag (complete with 2 16lb balls) on top of my sub. Now it shakes the whole house like no one's business. Now I'm going to try a bucket of water on top of my receiver. Hope this thing doesn't leak.

BEETLEMAN
11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
When my relatives come for a visit i get each one of them to sit on a speaker and the nephew to sit on the dvd player and it does sound alot better. if only i could get them to shut up during movies....

Pat
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey Soundideas,
I bet my tile from the homestore is a lot cheaper than your "sand pebble" tile.......... :p

Soundideas
11-25-2005, 02:19 PM
He's right. I put my bowling bag (complete with 2 16lb balls) on top of my sub. Now it shakes the whole house like no one's business. Now I'm going to try a bucket of water on top of my receiver. Hope this thing doesn't leak. Someone on another forum told me that he tried this tweak on his sub woofer and his bass is very smooth with better depth now .......he used 40 pounds of weight on his sub :cool: I BET that after you tried this tweak you will NOT make FUN of it THEN ! :rolleyes:

GMichael
11-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Someone on another forum told me that he tried this tweak on his sub woofer and his bass is very smooth with better depth now .......he used 40 pounds of weight on his sub :cool: I BET that after you tried this tweak you will NOT make FUN of it THEN ! :rolleyes:

Who's making fun? :confused: This is great. :D But now I'll have to watch all my DVD's over again. :( I put cinder blocks on each tower too. :p I even tought my cat to sleep on the DVD player. :cool: Now the colors are so much brighter that you wouldn't believe it. :cool: You've got to try this. And the best part is that it's all free.

calegrant
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
How bout we just chop Soundideas up into little pieces, put him in plastic bags and put him onto ours speakers. Then we wouldn't have to pay for those stones.

Pat
11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Some pushy salesmen deserve that kind of treatment.

Hey SI,
I bet you would have better luck if you came to a forum and talked like a human being, nice to people and helped them with their problems. Then as time goes on let people know what products you sell and you could build a relationship with the members. If you jump into a forum with both feet shouting "buy this" "buy this" you will drive everyone away and actually create enemies just by being too pushy.

..........I love the headless Turkey :D

Florian
11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Or buy a speaker that doesnt have a box in the first place. :p

polkymon
11-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Adding weights DOES work.

I improved my system by adding 4x26lb weights on top of my existing speakers and had DRAMATIC results.

Positioning of the weights is important as stated. Also running the speaker wires to the weights first, proved most beneficial.

Stereophile had a review of these weights awhile ago here;

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/204bw/
:D

N. Abstentia
11-25-2005, 11:14 PM
He's right. I put my bowling bag (complete with 2 16lb balls) on top of my sub. Now it shakes the whole house like no one's business.

Yeah I sit my balls on my speakers all the time. Makes my system sound GREAT!

Pat
11-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Polkymon,
Were your weights bought from SI or is this a tweak you tried on your own?

Pushy salesmen $uck.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Or buy a speaker that doesnt have a box in the first place. :p

A speaker without a box? How did they ship it to you? How will you return them if there's a problem? Dude, your speaker is naked. :o

GMichael
11-26-2005, 05:32 AM
Yeah I sit my balls on my speakers all the time. Makes my system sound GREAT!

Bet it tickles too.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Pushy salesmen $uck.

I feel the same way. In fact, when it's time for me to go to a car dealer, I always use the same method. I will have a friend put on his best suit & tie, while I wear old jeans. By time the salesperson figures out that he's been up the wrong butt, I have already seen what I wanted and am ready to move on to the next dealer.

polkymon
11-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Polkymon,
Were your weights bought from SI or is this a tweak you tried on your own?

Pushy salesmen $uck.

Is joke :D . You see the 26lb weights were B&W 705's and ....aww gee Pat if I gotta explain it!

;)

And as far as comparing to car sales, I wish I could walk into a high line A/V store armed with all their costs and demand to buy everything at invoice. So stop the whining about car salesmen, it's older than dirt.

Pat
11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
We're cool,
SI's short brief replies led me to believe he was a salesman......Anyway, I went on the offensive....

My dvd player does vibrate lightly when it starts up and runs. Maybe I'll put some heavy iron weights on it sometime to see if it makes a difference.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Is joke :D . You see the 26lb weights were B&W 705's and ....aww gee Pat if I gotta explain it!

;)

And as far as comparing to car sales, I wish I could walk into a high line A/V store armed with all their costs and demand to buy everything at invoice. So stop the whining about car salesmen, it's older than dirt.

A/V stores wish they got the kickbacks car dealerships get. Car dealers could sell at their so called cost all day and still stay in business.

polkymon
11-26-2005, 06:05 PM
A/V stores get "kickbacks" too but they don't publish them like the auto industry does. and % wise do much better than any car dealer.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 06:15 PM
A/V stores get "kickbacks" too but they don't publish them like the auto industry does. and % wise do much better than any car dealer.

Would you rather have 2% of a $20,000 sale or 10% of a $1000 sale?

polkymon
11-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Would you rather have a $500,000 a month nut or a $50,000 a month nut.

We couild do this all day.

GMichael
11-26-2005, 06:29 PM
You can do it all day. It's not worth my time.

Florian
11-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Vibration control, resonance absorbtion, tube silences etc.. all work. But do you have to pay some moron 500$ for a set of magic stones? No! Will you hear it on a 200$ Toshiba DVD player? No! But there are many things that help and i wish that just once there would be a serious person recommending these things instead of a moron and 10 other people joining in considering everything voodoo.

GMichael
11-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Vibration control, resonance absorbtion, tube silences etc.. all work. But do you have to pay some moron 500$ for a set of magic stones? No! Will you hear it on a 200$ Toshiba DVD player? No! But there are many things that help and i wish that just once there would be a serious person recommending these things instead of a moron and 10 other people joining in considering everything voodoo.

Sorry, this guy is just so much fun to poke fun at.

I'll try to be good.