Who's ready for new Cars? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for new Cars?

Mr Peabody
11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm sure all of you with your pulse on the music scene have heard the Cars are reforming with Todd Rundgren as the front man? Rick Ocasek opted out of this go round and one of the original members died of cancer, I'm thinking Benjamin Orr. This leaves Elliott Easton and the keyboard player, whose name escapes me now, as the only original members.

As most new music I will keep an open mind. I have some Cars but wouldn't call myself a big fan and not very excited about this news. I'm not a Todd Rundgren fan. I have one album with Utopia, I think it's The Road To Utopia. It's on vinyl and I bought it years ago for the song Last Of The New Age Riders. I also like the song Caravan off this album.

Predictions? Thoughts? Opinions?

Dusty Chalk
11-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Greg Hawkes is the keyboardists' name you're forgetting.

And yes, it was Benjamin Orr who died, the "other" lead vocalist (Ric usually did the quirky things, like "Shake It Up", and Ben did the pretty songs, like "Drive" -- sort of David Gilmour to Ric's Roger Waters).

And you forgot David Robinson, drummer (they were a 5-piece).

I think Todd Rundgren can pull off both lead vocal duties, but I'm still in a I'll-believe-it-when-I-hear-it mode.

3-LockBox
11-23-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm sure all of you with your pulse on the music scene have heard the Cars are reforming with Todd Rundgren as the front man?
That's news to me!

Rick Ocasek opted out of this go round
He always seemed like kind of a dick anyway, IMO.

and one of the original members died of cancer, I'm thinking Benjamin Orr That's right

As most new music I will keep an open mind. I have some Cars but wouldn't call myself a big fan and not very excited about this news. I'm not a Todd Rundgren fan. I have one album with Utopia, I think it's The Road To Utopia. It's on vinyl and I bought it years ago for the song Last Of The New Age Riders. I also like the song Caravan off this album.

I guess its better than seeing them on some stoopid reallity show...I stated a few days ago that Rundgren seemed to suffer from ADD as far as his solo career goes, maybe he should collaborate with somebody, but to call the group The Cars? I dunno 'bout that one either. I guess I'd be curious, but my expectations would be low.

Jim Clark
11-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Well Ocasek already has money and the girl, opting out makes sure his legacy survives intact. The Cars are far from the only band trying to make a comeback. Due up shortly are albums from Heaven 17 and Bananarama. I'm not exactly on the edge of my seat for any of these albums.

On a semi related note, A-Ha is due out with another one as well. The main difference is that they've been releasing albums all along. I may have been the only one listening to them, but they've been making them all the same.

Regards,
jc

Dave_G
11-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Todd Rungren?

Frontman for the new "Cars"?

Good lord what is this industry coming to...

That'll bomb bigger than Dallas.

Todd must be broke.

Dave

Mr Peabody
11-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Here's some Todd trivia, he was married to BB, Steven Tyler's ex-wife, and was playing father to Liv Tyler until she learned the truth. Todd and BB are no longer married.

I saw this on the E! True Story, Rock Stars Daughters. It was pretty interesting if you can catch a repeat. They had Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper and their daughter's. Ace Frehley's daughter was on there as well as Moon Unit Zappa and Carney Wilson.

magno@mac.com
11-25-2005, 06:37 PM
....an overproduced semi-masterpiece like Todd's/XTC's "Skylarking" album. But it won't sound like the Cars....which may or may not be a good thing.

I used to own a TR album from the mid 90s called "No World Order" that was rather interesting. I also liked Utopia quite a bit back in my "Progressive" days.

I'm sure all of you with your pulse on the music scene have heard the Cars are reforming with Todd Rundgren as the front man? Rick Ocasek opted out of this go round and one of the original members died of cancer, I'm thinking Benjamin Orr. This leaves Elliott Easton and the keyboard player, whose name escapes me now, as the only original members.

unleasHell
11-25-2005, 08:30 PM
File this under:

WTF?

Bad Company
Thin Lizzy (with no Phil)
Queen (with no Freddie)
Cars
INXS (with no...whatever his name was)

Why not reform the Beatles with Paul and Ringo, heck they could get Sammy Hagger and Ronnie Montrose ....LOL

PS: The Cars sucked on their best days anyway, I applaud Ric for staying home wth Paulina and not further embarrasing himself...

Dusty Chalk
11-26-2005, 12:52 AM
INXS (with no...whatever his name was)Ingmar.

No, not really -- Michael Hutchence.
PS: The Cars sucked on their best days anyway...:shock:

I would have to disagree with you, though you are entitled to your position.

Dave_G
11-27-2005, 06:06 AM
I like the Cars stuff and have all the Ocasek solo stuff. A decent pop band they were. Ric is a techno-geek.

Dave