westend [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : westend

westend
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
I have just purchased an NAD receiver to play though Boston CR77's. I want to play my old and not so old LP records by connecting to the auxiliary input. The salesman says that I need an NAD pre-amp for optimum use.Is that true and necessary

PAT.P
11-23-2005, 11:21 AM
I have just purchased an NAD receiver to play though Boston CR77's. I want to play my old and not so old LP records by connecting to the auxiliary input. The salesman says that I need an NAD pre-amp for optimum use.Is that true and necessaryYou need a phono- pre amplifier ,Radio Shack as them.Bought mine like 15 years ago and still works.The one I have is around 5"x4".

westend
11-23-2005, 12:30 PM
You need a phono- pre amplifier ,Radio Shack as them.Bought mine like 15 years ago and still works.The one I have is around 5"x4".
Why is the phono-pre-amp necessary? What happens if I plug directly into the aux input?

Resident Loser
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
...no volume(to speak of) and no RIAA playback EQ...If you don't have a genuine, authentic "phono in" jack, you need one...

jimHJJ(...period...)

hifitommy
11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
phono records are cut with a large rolloff below 500hz. playing one back that way will result in an extremely THIN sound. it is done so that the low freqs can be engraved and then re-equalized to normal in the phono preamp.

if this isnt done, the lows would require so much real estate on the vinyl that playing times would be VERY short. there are numerous phono preamps for affordable money:

http://www.audioreplay.net/indexg.html

that should suffice until you get serious about ultimate sound quality. then its time to start reading the absolute sound and stereophile reviews of phono preamps. perusing the archives of the audioasylum.com would also give more insight.

westend
11-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. The salesman at Harvey Sound says the NAD pre-amp is about $135, Sounds like a lot of money but if it is most compatible with the NAD receiver, I'll get it. Does it make that difference?

hifitommy
11-24-2005, 12:29 PM
the nad is no more compatible than any of the others. its a good unit but no more compatible. it really makes no difference until you start getting fussy about ultimate sound quality. then you will be considering more costly units without worry.

get started cheeeep, and keep the cheeeep unit even after you get a better one, it may come in handy someday.