$1k for a/v recv, which one? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $1k for a/v recv, which one?

AZ101
11-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Ok, lately I have been pretty busy with work and have had no time to research what a/v receiver I should buy so thats where you all come in. I have 1k to spend but would like to make it less if possible without sacrificing much in terms of sound. I currently have a harman kardon avr7000 that has decided to quit amplifying my sound. I would get it fixed but I was never that happy with it in the 1st place particularly the center channel output and sound quality. So now im thinking for the money how about a pioneer elite or something similar. It will be delivering both musical and movie audio to an infinity il36 center channel, a set of infinity overtures for left and right, a set of infinity il10's for rear, and a svs 16-46sub. Any ideas.

Thanks Steve

GMichael
11-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to AR.

For 1k I would look into the Yamaha RX-V1600. Here is a link to Yamaha's RX-V line. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV_series.htm

I am not sure what means the most to you but there are plenty to choose from there.

I have heard good things about the newer Pioneer line. My only experience is with a much older 2 channel receiver. It still works great for the $300 it cost me in the early 80's.

Onkyo & Denon also make good units. Take a look at as many as you can to see who has all the options you like. Then go listen. My guess is that they will all sound pretty close. Pick the one that has the most of what means the most to you.

L.J.
11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
If you have or plan on getting any products in the future with HDMI out you may want to look at a few AVR's that support HDMI. Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo(I think) have AVR's that support HDMI. They start at about that $1000 mark. You may want to consider this.

Like GM said, shop around, take some products home and see what you like.

Have fun!

Lexmark3200
11-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Onkyo & Denon also make good units.

Indeed true and the only two brands I would consider in receivers today (of course, talking in terms of a cost-IS-an-object perspective).

Chief Wiggum
11-25-2005, 09:11 AM
I was recently in the same boat as you Steve. I purchased some Paradigm Monitor speakers and needed a good AV reciever for around 1000 to run them. I have a Denon 2802 that I was using to run them but the sound was disappointing. So I did my research, checked out different recievers from brands like Yamaha, Denon, HK and found that these weren't going to make my speakers sound as good as they could.

So I went to the high end dealer where I purchased my speakers and auditioned some upper tier brands like Rotel, Sunfire, B & K, Arcam, NAD, and Anthem. I ended up going with a NADT753. It cost me exactly $999.99 retail and it is rated at 70 X 6 watts RMS.

Let me tell you Steve..... the sound coming from my speakers now is so much better it almost makes me wana cry.

I don't know what type of speakers you have as that is always something to take into consideration when purchasing recievers or amps because different combos will sound different and everyone has different tastes.

The NAD T753 may be kind of boring to look at when compared to units by Denon, HK, Pioneer Elite, etc... But after having listened to many different AV reciervs in the $800 - $1200 range I can honestly say that I feel that this is the best reciever in the price range as it has a sound that is so much superior to all the other units that I have heard in that price range.

So my advice to you would be to go listen to the T753. Many dealers that carry NAD will be higher end dealers and they would probably be happy to let you bring your own speakers into their shop so you can see how your speakers will sound with the products they have to offer. It is important that you listen to an AV reciever with your speakers or a pair of the same exact model as yours before you buty Steve as this is the best way to see what the reciever will really sound like when you get it home. then you have to get into all that other junk like room acoustics, but that conversation is for another day.

So take a look at the NAD T753. I think you will like it.

PS: NAD has a dealer locator on thier website so you can find the nearest dealer to you.

musicman1999
11-25-2005, 04:16 PM
i was also where you are about a year ago.I had bought new jm labs speakers and wanted better sound than my marantz sr4200 could give me.I listened to harman kardon,pioneer,onkyo,yamaha and denon.I dont remember all the model numbers but all were in the $600-800 cdn price range.The conclusion i reached was that none were better than the $450 marantz.Not good news.Something new then arrived at my dealer,the cambridge audio 540r.It did not do video upconversion,no auto set up,no on screen display,no vast library of dsp modes(like yamaha)or no system remote.My dealer told me to take it home and try it and that i would like it.Needless to say he was right,this unit has wonderful sound that is far above any of the above units that i tried.Very strong stereo and also strong for dvd.It is british designed and far east built and not well known in north america but if you have a dealer close by check it out.
Keep in mind that everyone will recomend what we bought,so take all advice with a grain of salt and trust your our ears,after all its your money.
good luck
bill

AZ101
11-28-2005, 05:43 AM
thanks for all the great advice so far.. so much to think about but it should be fun. Ok keep it coming

steve