Sigur Ros question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sigur Ros question

3-LockBox
11-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Upon listening to a PT comp I made, a couple of youngins aksed me if I ever heard Sigur Ros, and I said that I heard tales about them on a website I frequent (that'd be you guys).

So...what are these guys like? Are they the dreamier side of PT, or are they just some Tangerine Dream knock-off.

-Jar-
11-23-2005, 05:28 AM
They're very difficult to describe.. to me they're truly one of the more original bands to come out in the last 10 years.

I'm not really sure what to compare them to, you really just need to hear them and judge for yourself. They have elements of prog rock, space rock, art rock, dream pop, ambient and classical. Singer sings in a kind of made up language that's a combination of Icelandic, French and English.

Also, I only have their first album Ágætis Byrjun, but I think it's a great place to start.. you'll know if you like them in the first couple of minutes..

from allmusic.com: (ok, this is a pretty gushing review)

Indeed, Ágætis Byrjun pulls no punches from the start. After an introduction just this side of one of the aforementioned Stone Roses' backward beauties, the album pumps in the morning mist with "Sven-G-Englar" — a song of such accomplished gorgeousness that one wonders why such a tiny country as Iceland can musically outperform entire continents in just a few short minutes. The rest of this full-length follows such similar quality. Extremely deep strings underpin falsetto wails from the mournfully epic ("Viðar Vel Tl Loftárasa") to the unreservedly cinematic ("Avalon"). One will constantly be waiting to hear what fascinating turns such complex musicianship will take at a moment's notice. At its best, the album seems to accomplish everything lagging post-shoegazers like Spiritualized or Chapterhouse once promised.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47216DE4BA87220C990304BDB9464F705CA4E FB8050234558C0BB106BA9082EE269E9D8CCAEF876AB7BAFFF 2BE85205D1C2E452FFCC1740&sql=10:hm4zef5k2gf3

-jar

ForeverAutumn
11-23-2005, 06:41 AM
I listened to ( ) once and it bored me to tears. Although it might've been more interesting on a better set-up. Like when I listened to No-Man in my car and hated it, but then listened to it on the good speakers at home and fell in love with it.

Dusty Chalk
11-23-2005, 09:40 AM
So...what are these guys like? Are they the dreamier side of PT, or are they just some Tangerine Dream knock-off.Both, and neither. If you like Lightbulb Sun and the mellower side of PT, then you might like them.

Javier
11-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Upon listening to a PT comp I made, a couple of youngins aksed me if I ever heard Sigur Ros, and I said that I heard tales about them on a website I frequent (that'd be you guys).

So...what are these guys like? Are they the dreamier side of PT, or are they just some Tangerine Dream knock-off.
neither per sure at least for this pair of ears.
They use guitar, wordless vocals ( or icelandic sung words) to create a very strange and original sound best album for me aegetys byjurn.

JDaniel
11-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Todd - you can have my copy of ( ) if you want. It was, to put it mildly, not my cuppatea. I'd post a tracklist, but alas, the tracks don't have names. My copy may be a CDR. Seems like I donated the real thing to my local library. Let me know if you want it.

JD

3-LockBox
11-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Todd - you can have my copy of ( ) if you want. It was, to put it mildly, not my cuppatea. I'd post a tracklist, but alas, the tracks don't have names. My copy may be a CDR. Seems like I donated the real thing to my local library. Let me know if you want it.

JD

Sure. PM me if you don't still have my addy.

OT: Well, its now official. Its a bad season. UT just fell on its face this year. I wonder what will happen to Fulmer now. I'm not sure its all his fault, but I know UT recruits well, and has a wealth of talent. Maybe next year. My other team, Michigan, has also struggled of late. I can't imagine a year were UM, nor UT goes to a bowl.