Choose of Center Channel Speaker (KEF) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Choose of Center Channel Speaker (KEF)

explorer1979
11-22-2005, 09:49 PM
P.S. I am using Denon AVR-3801 for my AV Center ....
I don't know do this inform help or not ...

explorer1979
11-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a pair of KEF Q5 bought from this year Feb, and I like it sound the jazz and vocal with the Uni-Q unit ....

And my 5.1 system is total KEF, just now the center and the surround and the subwoofer is KHT 2005 (Not the KHT 2005.2 series), since I seeking for better bass reproduct with music and movie and under the little budget, so upgrade the two small egg front speaker to Q5 ..

Now, I need find a channel which product best bass and vocal match the Q5 and surround for the SACD and Movie (main watch action movie, so the boss of boom for me and the vocal is important now)

I am wonder choose Q9C or Q10C or new IQ center channel is better? Since I live in Hong Kong, now all AV Shop replace the old Q to IQ series, no chance to listening how different the Q9C and Q10C ....

Who have compare with the Q9C and Q10C which one is louder and better sound quailty? and how about the IQ series?? Do the IQ series will not match with the old gen. Q5's Uni-Q unit???

Or other brand that will better?

Thx for your time.

Woochifer
11-23-2005, 08:16 PM
The point with a center speaker is not to upgrade it to something that sounds better than your mains, but to go with whatever MATCHES best with the mains.

If you're currently using a matched 5.1 speaker set, with a matching center speaker, you should stick with it. If your center speaker is not from the same series as your mains, then your best bet is to go with the recommended center speaker for your mains, or use three identical speakers up front.

Upgrading to a different nonmatching center speaker, even if it subjectively sounds better by itself, is potential trouble because a speaker that has significantly different voicing from the mains will call attention to itself and in the process disrupt the continuity of the front soundfield. Ideally you want the front soundfield to be seamless as possible.