DVD player for bedroom. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD player for bedroom.

Invader3k
11-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey all. I've kind of been out of the HT loop for a while, so I could use some help. My dad wants a DVD player for his bedroom. I'm looking at getting him one for Christmas. This will be used probably only once in a while, with an APEX LCD HD-ready set. This won't be part of a home theater or anything, just something so he can watch movies in bed once in a while. Can anyone recommend some good reliable models at $100 or under that would work? I'm sure I could just go to the local Best Buy or REX and get something, but I'd appreciate some input in advance. Thanks.

edtyct
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
At $129 or less, the Pioneer 588A-S can't be beat. The only thing that it doesn't have is a digital video output, but component looks terrific. If your dad ever gets ambitious, this thing also carries SA-CD and DVD-A, both of which it handles with aplomb. You have to go up to a list price of $300 or so to get something that looks and sounds better than this deck, and it's definitely not night and day.

N. Abstentia
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah just go to Best Buy and get a Panasonic or Pioneer and you'll be fine.

s dog
11-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey all. I've kind of been out of the HT loop for a while, so I could use some help. My dad wants a DVD player for his bedroom. I'm looking at getting him one for Christmas. This will be used probably only once in a while, with an APEX LCD HD-ready set. This won't be part of a home theater or anything, just something so he can watch movies in bed once in a while. Can anyone recommend some good reliable models at $100 or under that would work? I'm sure I could just go to the local Best Buy or REX and get something, but I'd appreciate some input in advance. Thanks. I got a panasonic dvd-vcr combo at wal-mart for around a $100.00 bucks, I use it in my bedroom system it is nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

paul_pci
11-22-2005, 11:25 PM
There's really no trick to buying cheap dvd players, except maybe to stay away from off brands, you know, from that guy in the alley, saying "psst", he opens up his trench coat and says … "need a dvd player?" Other than that, you should be fine.

markw
11-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Simple. I just procured a $37 Magnavox at WalMart for a friend. She's happy as a clam at high tide. It's small, it' simple and it gives her all she needs.

Invader3k
11-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, I really don't feel like going overboard on this, since my dad isn't a videophile or anything like that. I figure just a decent model with a good remote hooked up with a component video cable should suit him fine.