RIP: Chris Whitley [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Chris Whitley

Davey
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Many of you probably know that Chris Whitley was reported very ill of lung cancer recently and it sounded pretty dire, like there was not anything that could be done. And the official site now reports Chris passed away on Sunday. Very sad news. I don't usually get involved in these rock person eulogies because people are dying everyday and all of them are significant and missed, but I just felt like saying a few words and passing on the comments below from his family since his music has meant a lot to me, and I'm sure some of you as well.

Chris Whitley 1960-2005

Words from Trixie Whitley:
My father took his last breath last night the 20th of November. I would like to make it clear that the people he needed and loved the most were with him while and when he left in peace. Those were Dan, Susanne, me and Chorinne. I would also like to ask you guys to understand there is a very fine line between Chris Whitley the legendary musician and Chris Whitley the Father, Brother, and Lover.

This was my Dad's favorite line from the first song I ever wrote, this is for you Daddy:

"Like the feather we blow away, in the thoughtlessness of words others say."

All faith and peace,
Trixie Whitley

Words from Dan Whitley:
I just wanted to add Chris passed over surrounded by lots of love. The time we spent with Chris in these last days were something I'll never forget and these woman whom I shared Chris's last moments with were just amazing.

Susann Buerger who was by his side nonstop (Chris planned to marry Susann) held him in his arms the moment he passed in absolute and total peace, the reason I mentioned this is I always felt being held by someone you love while you passed over was a truly special thing. Trixie my niece is one of the strongest young woman I have ever met and Chris was always so proud of her whenever we spoke, Im also incredibly proud to be her uncle and love her beyond words.

Chorinne gave her home to Chris and the rest of us in this time of need and didnt stop taking care of things that needed to be taken care of the entire time, she gave us all a sanctuary to take care of Chris in and went way out of her way to help from the beginning and is still helping.
Me, I pretty much just cried my *** off when I wasn't helping Susanne with Chris....still crying.

I hope you all will mourn my brothers death but more important celebrate his life as Chris was all about life and living... I started the celebration by cranking up Dirt floor in his honor...crying still.

Chris Whitley's Legacy will no doubt transcend all time.

Love and Light,
Daniel

Swish
11-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Many of you probably know that Chris Whitley was reported very ill of lung cancer recently and it sounded pretty dire, like there was not anything that could be done. And the official site now reports Chris passed away on Sunday. Very sad news. I don't usually get involved in these rock person eulogies because people are dying everyday and all of them are significant and missed, but I just felt like saying a few words and passing on the comments below from his family since his music has meant a lot to me, and I'm sure some of you as well.

Chris Whitley 1960-2005

I saw him as the opening act for Warren Zevon about 10 yaers ago in the booming metropolis of Scranton, PA, and now both are dead from lung cancer. It's well documented that Warren was a heavy smoker, but I don't know if the same could be said for Chris. You can't always assume it, although that usually the case. I lost a sister-in-law to lung cancer this past August year. She was only 43 but smoked since she was about 15 or 16 as I recall.

Swish