Paradigm Monitor 11 vs. Polk Rti-12 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor 11 vs. Polk Rti-12

Hermie
11-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Hi Guys! Can you help me choose which one is better. Just want to have your opinion about the Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Polk Rti-12. I am planning to buy a set of speakers but i don't have the opportunity to test the Monitor 11 because the store doesn't have the 11's for testing. I've heard the Polk rti-12 and it's not bad. I've read some comments about the Monitor 11 and all are Good! Some sez that Paradigm is "Better" than the Polks but i'm torn between two P's. Thank You very much in advance for your advice.

Pat
11-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Hi Hermie,

The specifications to both of them are online, hard to say without hearing them.

Jimmy C
11-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys! Can you help me choose which one is better. Just want to have your opinion about the Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Polk Rti-12. I am planning to buy a set of speakers but i don't have the opportunity to test the Monitor 11 because the store doesn't have the 11's for testing. I've heard the Polk rti-12 and it's not bad. I've read some comments about the Monitor 11 and all are Good! Some sez that Paradigm is "Better" than the Polks but i'm torn between two P's. Thank You very much in advance for your advice.

...(it's raining here in N.Y.) I decided to take a quick trip to P.C. Richards after I read your post... we have one almost next door to our condo complex.

They didn't have the 12 (sorry), but the 18 was there. Close? It looked like a 2.5-way 6.5 inch, tall and slim. My firend has the Monitor 11s, so I'm quite familiar with that speaker.

This comparison is really meaningless, due to the fact my friend has better gear than what the Polk was hooked up to, as well as much better positioning. Not to mention I was listening to a different Polk than what you have in mind :^) I was just havin' a little fun...

The 11s are a decent transducer, albeit with some problems. George has them hooked up to Dynaco tubes, a Rotel pre, and a V.P.I. Scout, as well as using the occasional Sony CDP. This set-up is fairly resolving, pretty good bass (much tighter than the lower Monitors, as well as having less box noise), and easy to listen to. Doesn't do anything offensive, doesn't do anything great, IMO. A well-built, good all-round speaker (and system!) I would go for a "better" (more resolving and refined) monitor, but that's another story.

The Polks (along with everything else) sounded horrendous in the store. Again, this isn't a fair (nor direct) comparison. I tried, though! It would be almost impossible to hear what the Polks are capable of inside that store. The 11s are built better (as long as the speaker I heard was similar to the 12)

What did YOU think? Have you heard them both? Let us know...

Eric Z
11-22-2005, 11:17 AM
What do you mean the store doesn't have the 11s for testing? If they have them in stock somewhere, they should have them for testing- if they really want your business. I can't imagine a store selling speakers where you can't listen to them. It's like buying a car without test driving.

To really get an idea of which you like better, buy both on credit and return the inferior ones- just be sure to be familiar with the return policy.

Hermie
11-22-2005, 03:11 PM
...(it's raining here in N.Y.) I decided to take a quick trip to P.C. Richards after I read your post... we have one almost next door to our condo complex.

They didn't have the 12 (sorry), but the 18 was there. Close? It looked like a 2.5-way 6.5 inch, tall and slim. My firend has the Monitor 11s, so I'm quite familiar with that speaker.

This comparison is really meaningless, due to the fact my friend has better gear than what the Polk was hooked up to, as well as much better positioning. Not to mention I was listening to a different Polk than what you have in mind :^) I was just havin' a little fun...

The 11s are a decent transducer, albeit with some problems. George has them hooked up to Dynaco tubes, a Rotel pre, and a V.P.I. Scout, as well as using the occasional Sony CDP. This set-up is fairly resolving, pretty good bass (much tighter than the lower Monitors, as well as having less box noise), and easy to listen to. Doesn't do anything offensive, doesn't do anything great, IMO. A well-built, good all-round speaker (and system!) I would go for a "better" (more resolving and refined) monitor, but that's another story.

The Polks (along with everything else) sounded horrendous in the store. Again, this isn't a fair (nor direct) comparison. I tried, though! It would be almost impossible to hear what the Polks are capable of inside that store. The 11s are built better (as long as the speaker I heard was similar to the 12)

What did YOU think? Have you heard them both? Let us know...
Thanks Jim!

calegrant
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Luckily my uncle is an audio guru and has a set of the moniter 11's and my dad got a set of polks Rti12's through a home theater packaged deal at futureshop. I've heard both playing movies and the monitor's deffinetely have the upper hand for that set-up. They are much more accurate with bass while the polks seem to be a tad weak without a good subwoofer.

I found that the polks really shine when played loudly, they provide a lot of volume without distortion. It's really all about personl preference. I'd go with the monitors because they produce crisper sound and I'd much rather deal with paradigm for a warrenty issue than mexican built polks.

I can't really give you advice like some guys on here who can pump out charts for what the sound is doing when messured with their fancy flux capacitors. I'm just telling you what I've heard with my own ears, not what some machine tells you.

Hermie
11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Luckily my uncle is an audio guru and has a set of the moniter 11's and my dad got a set of polks Rti12's through a home theater packaged deal at futureshop. I've heard both playing movies and the monitor's deffinetely have the upper hand for that set-up. They are much more accurate with bass while the polks seem to be a tad weak without a good subwoofer.

I found that the polks really shine when played loudly, they provide a lot of volume without distortion. It's really all about personl preference. I'd go with the monitors because they produce crisper sound and I'd much rather deal with paradigm for a warrenty issue than mexican built polks.

I can't really give you advice like some guys on here who can pump out charts for what the sound is doing when messured with their fancy flux capacitors. I'm just telling you what I've heard with my own ears, not what some machine tells you.
Thank's calegrant!

kexodusc
11-23-2005, 05:56 AM
What's your goal for music? I would recommend the Paradigm Studio 40's or Polk LSi 9's over either model. They'll give up some bass slam, but the fidelity the rest of the way is quite a step up. And don't kid yourself, the bass on these models is more refined, and accurate, if not as low and powerful. You'd need to buy or build stands, something you can do for under $100, but for what you're looking at spending, I think you should at least consider it. Lots of good speakers in the $1000 range.

Pat
11-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Hermie,
Are you going to use a seperate amp or receiver or....?

evil__betty
11-23-2005, 11:09 AM
What's your goal for music? I would recommend the Paradigm Studio 40's or Polk LSi 9's over either model. They'll give up some bass slam, but the fidelity the rest of the way is quite a step up. And don't kid yourself, the bass on these models is more refined, and accurate, if not as low and powerful. You'd need to buy or build stands, something you can do for under $100, but for what you're looking at spending, I think you should at least consider it. Lots of good speakers in the $1000 range.I second this motion! The LSi9's are by far better than the RTi12's. Leave the RTi's at Best Buy and Future Shop and go to a smaller A/V dealer and give the LSi9's a listen. You'll be very surprised at the sound that comes out of those things!

Hermie
11-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Hermie,
Are you going to use a seperate amp or receiver or....?
Hi Pat! Sad to say that i don't have any amp. or recievers right now...I'm still in process of which Machines should i get. I have two choices right now, The Denon avr-3805 or Rotel rsx-1056. Denon is much cheaper than Rotel here in Taipei. any suggestions...Thanks!