So what's with the new Broken Social Scene? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what's with the new Broken Social Scene?

Davey
11-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Anyone have it? Anyone have it and have any comments? Anyone have it and have any comments and want to share them? I'm curious. Purposely I haven't read too much about it since I figured I'd eventually pick it up, but still like to hear what the Rave Recs crowd thinks since it's been out for almost a couple months now ... hasn't it?

Slosh
11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
We've been waiting for you to pick it up, slacker! :p

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Anyone have it? Anyone have it and have any comments? Anyone have it and have any comments and want to share them? I'm curious. Purposely I haven't read too much about it since I figured I'd eventually pick it up, but still like to hear what the Rave Recs crowd thinks since it's been out for almost a couple months now ... hasn't it?

Oh, I guess I'm a little late to be the first pity click. I'll try harder for your next post, Davey. :p

Davey
11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Oh, I guess I'm a little late to be the first pity click. I'll try harder for your next post, Davey. :p
Thanks, always appreciated your wild kindness. Picked up the new debut by Living Things about a week ago called "Ahead of the Lions" and it's some kick out the jams rock n roll. Recorded by Steve Albini so it coulda should woulda been pretty dynamic, but unfortunately it's on Sony and was mastered by one of the hacks at Bernie Grundman Mastering so is just your typically compressed and in your face modern CD. Still sounds good for hard rock, but coulda been something really special. There's a sticker on the cover by one of the idiot writers at Spin that says, "One of the most ferocious straight ahead rock albums since Nevermind." Yeah, right. I bought it mainly because of the Albini involvement, and it's kind of disappointing from that angle, but I still like it a lot and got it for a good deal of just over $5 since it was a promo. Sounds kind of like Blue Oyster Cult on one song, you know the "don't fear the reaper" guys? Overall kind of dirty and nasty, and a little dangerous, all good things for rock. So I went to the Spin site to look for that quote and guess what it says in the review? Blue Oyster Cult! Hehehe, but it's really just in the 4th song so no foul.

The single Bom Bom Bom is pretty cool and widely available to download.

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks, always appreciated your wild kindness. Picked up the new debut by Living Things about a week ago called "Ahead of the Lions" and it's some kick out the jams rock n roll. Recorded by Steve Albini so it coulda should woulda been pretty dynamic, but unfortunately it's on Sony and was mastered by one of the hacks at Bernie Grundman Mastering so is just your typically compressed and in your face modern CD. Still sounds good for hard rock, but coulda been something really special. There's a sticker on the cover by one of the idiot writers at Spin that says, "One of the most ferocious straight ahead rock albums since Nevermind." Yeah, right. I bought it mainly because of the Albini involvement, and it's kind of disappointing from that angle, but I still like it a lot and got it for a good deal of just over $5 since it was a promo. Sounds kind of like Blue Oyster Cult on one song, you know the "don't fear the reaper" guys? Overall kind of dirty and nasty, and a little dangerous, all good things for rock. So I went to the Spin site to look for that quote and guess what it says in the review? Blue Oyster Cult! Hehehe, but it's really just in the 4th song so no foul.

The single Bom Bom Bom is pretty cool and widely available to download.

Don't you just hate it when Davey edits his posts. :confused:

Dusty Chalk
11-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Sounds kind of like Blue Oyster Cult on one song, you know the "don't fear the reaper" guys? Overall kind of dirty and nasty, and a little dangerous, all good things for rock. So I went to the Spin site to look for that quote and guess what it says in the review? Blue Oyster Cult! Hehehe, but it's really just in the 4th song so no foul.You say that like it's a bad thing. :(

Davey
11-22-2005, 07:13 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :(
Well, it would be a bad thing to me if the whole album was just Blue Oyster Cult knockoffs (or any other band for that matter). But since it's really just that one song, it's OK. That's all I meant. I don't know BOC all that well myself beyond that big album. I had a friend back in the day that loved em and played em all the time, and frankly not too much of it struck a chord with me, but I still like that sound. Are you a big fan of the Oyster?

Dusty Chalk
11-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Huge. Amorphis reminds me a lot of the Oyster Boys, and I love them.

Davey
11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Huge. Amorphis reminds me a lot of the Oyster Boys, and I love them.
Ha, you'd probably love this one too. Definitely snaking up toward my top 10. Some of that Black Mountain dirty rock goodness, but not that same Sabbath-Zep-VU connection here, more ZZ Top actually. Very cool with that same socio-politico consciousness running through the music, something that apparently made Sony apprehensive to release it in the initial form, but I like it a lot. Much more meaningful to me than something like the recent Green Day. Definitely give it a listen if you see it on the listening station or download the Bom Bom Bom single, and not just you. These guys could be big. Hell, for all I know they already are, although there aren't a ton of reviews at amazon yet so there's still time to be the first one on your block. The super dark "God Made Hate" is one of quite a few standouts for me so far. Love it. Almost like the Tres Hombres meet NIN :)

http://music.yahoo.com/track/24394129

Davey
11-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Don't you just hate it when Davey edits his posts. :confused:
Naw, I kinda dig it. Gives him an edge, an unpredictable side, volatile. I only see it as a positive. Makes me wanna be just like him. Besides, you don't really want all that silly stuff to go into the archive, do you? Catch any air last weekend?

Swish
11-22-2005, 01:14 PM

nearly unlistenable. Maybe I haven't given it a fighting chance, but it sounds so busy without really sounding like anything, if that makes sense. They had a couple of songs from "You Forgot in People" that had lots of precussion/cymbals dominating them, but the songs still had structure and felt right. A few on this one are so overly laiden with it, coupled with unintelligible vocals, that they just don't work for me. I even tried the bonus EP they threw in, but I didn't like that either. I just heard the first track again today while driving to lunch, but I skipped to the next cd out of frustration.

Swish