attn: indie hipster dorks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : attn: indie hipster dorks

Slosh
11-20-2005, 04:57 PM
This means you Davey, Stone, Swish, Ex Lion Tamer, Snowbunny, Mike, etc. ;)

You must go out and get Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures asaFp! I was listening to it once again today trying to decide which track I want to earmark for my year-end comp and couldn't. It's just one great song after another. No clunkers here. Trust me on this! :)

From glitchy, creepy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot ambiance to Appleseed Cast style stomps to synthy D-Plan zaniness to self-doubting Wrens angst to introspective Shins folk . . . just an amazing collection of songs that plays more like a greatest hits compilation than a sophomore album.

Buy it, give it some time to sink in, and thank me later. :D

Davey
11-20-2005, 05:34 PM
attn: indie hipster dorks - This means you Davey ...
You know I resent being called a indie hipster ;)

Yeah, I'd been meaning to query you more about that one since it seems to be your constant companion lately. Is it as good as the new Stephen Malkmus?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahha, etc

Need to check it out. Just got the new Radar Bros and the new Silver Jews and the new Living Things so I gotta hold off for awhile, although I did get two of them used for cheap. Gotta live with them for awhile, sleep on it, can't rush these things. Gotta start my Turkey Time comp soon! Ya think it's too late? Oh well, my fall back plan is to call it Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer - catchy huh? Gives me a few more weeks before mail time.

Slosh
11-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Is it as good as the new Stephen Malkmus?
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahha, etc
No, but it's probably my new no. 2. For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm the only who seems to think so highly of Face The Truth :confused: It's utterly fantastic with the chemistry in these neurons.

But anyway, check out Descended Like Vultures. Hey, it's not too late to revise your best of '05 list :)

tentoze
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Y'all need to stop all that indie posing, it ain't becoming old frints. Go get Marissa Nadler~ The Saga Of Mayflower May and hook into some real music.

Davey
11-21-2005, 08:14 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm the only who seems to think so highly of Face The Truth :confused: It's utterly fantastic with the chemistry in these neurons.
Hehehe, I really haven't listened to it enough to really say one way or the other. Just busting your busy balls. Malkmus does have some tasty guitar parts on the new Silver Jews. He does add a lot, which was apparent when he wasn't on the last one. Tis is really a nice album. Guess the reviews are a bit mixed but I'm quickly moving into the love it group. And yeah, I'll be giving Face the Truth more listens in the near future, just haven't quite been in the mood for it.

Davey
11-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Y'all need to stop all that indie posing, it ain't becoming old frints. Go get Marissa Nadler~ The Saga Of Mayflower May and hook into some real music.
What's she sound like? I read something that said she has a comforting voice, kind of like your mother singing to you. Wasn't too sure about that ;)

I'll download something....

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 11:29 AM
This means you Davey, Stone, Swish, Ex Lion Tamer, Snowbunny, Mike, etc. ;)

You must go out and get Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures asaFp!

You're so mean, Sloshy! Not everyone (see Snowbunny) can run out and pick up this stuff asaFp! My little town doesn't "stock" smallish labels like Subpop.

This does sound great, so its worth a call to Zulu Records, but should I also see if I can get a copy of Out of the Shadow. This quote from Pitchfork sounds oddly appealing:

"features wispy, spectral tunes, somewhere between Simon & Garfunkel and Yo La Tengo, embroidered with intricate details."

Pitchfork: "The first single from the new album, "10:1", confirms a sea change: Where the atmospheric debut laced cloudy melodies with quiet traces of heat lightning, "10:1" is a crashing thunderbolt. The thin, melodic contour lines that primarily structured Out of the Shadow become barely discernible underpinnings on this track, subsumed in raucously cartwheeling synths and returning producer Bill Racine's bracing guitar manipulation. The only vestige of the old Rogue Wave is Rogue's voice."

(This didn't make any sense to me. I think Davey may have written it. :p)

Snowbuns

Stone
11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
My little town doesn't "stock" smallish labels like Subpop.

Yeah, I know how hard it can be to find that really obscure stuff on a tiny, basement outfit like Sub Pop.

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I know how hard it can be to find that really obscure stuff on a tiny, basement outfit like Sub Pop.

Oh, you shut up! I expected this comment - but not from you, Stoney River!!!

;)

tentoze
11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
What's she sound like? I read something that said she has a comforting voice, kind of like your mother singing to you. Wasn't too sure about that ;)

I'll download something....
Let's just say that she does not evoke images of me mum singing to me. Gorgeous, haunting voice,

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Let's just say that she does not evoke images of me mum singing to me. Gorgeous, haunting voice,

Ahem. Gorgeous, haunting like Bjork? Enya? Neko Case? Nina Nastasia? Lucinda Williams? :)

tentoze
11-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Ahem. Gorgeous, haunting like Bjork? Enya? Neko Case? Nina Nastasia? Lucinda Williams? :)
Mebbe a little more like Chan Marshall (I really hate to admit that), or Hope Sandoval, or Vashti Bunyan, or a slightly less quirky Josephine Foster.

Snowbunny
11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Mebbe a little more like Chan Marshall (I really hate to admit that), or Hope Sandoval, or Vashti Bunyan, or a slightly less quirky Josephine Foster.

NICE! Thanks!

(When did toze become an indie hipster dork?) :confused:

Davey
11-21-2005, 01:00 PM
This didn't make any sense to me. I think Davey may have written it. :p
Makes sense to me but I really don't think it sounds like my writing at all. For what it's worth though, that review left me beaming with melodic lines of quiet spectral lightning, as though they were embroidered like contour lines from the corners of my raucously grinning lips. The words subsumed me in wispy clouds of joy as I braced myself for the impending emotional cartwheels, overtaking me like barely discernible crashing thunderbolts.

audiobill
11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
"Out of the Shadow" is the only release of theirs that I have and it gets plenty of play; in fact, it's been on the iPod, even -- not a mean feat, since it has to have tons 'o replayability to get ripped onto the Pod.

Guess I'll have to get their new one.

Cheers & thanks for the headzup,

audiobill

tentoze
11-21-2005, 01:37 PM
NICE! Thanks!

(When did toze become an indie hipster dork?) :confused:
You really, really know where to land a punch. Sheesh.

Slosh
11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Mebbe a little more like Chan Marshall (I really hate to admit that), or Hope Sandoval, or Vashti Bunyan, or a slightly less quirky Josephine Foster.I'll take Jesse Sykes over all of them. Isn't she Lucinda's discovery or something?

Slosh
11-21-2005, 02:42 PM
You're so mean, Sloshy!There's a villian in my head & he's giving me shocks.
shocks, shocks, shocks
shocks, shocks, shocks
Save me from me, save me from me
His name is Leather McWhip and he needs to be stopped.
stop, stop, stop
stop, stop, stop

I'm the leech who can preach
they call me Sinister Joe
I got the sweltering heat
of summer Ohio
if I'm a little erratic
you must give me some space
to let me spin it in and out and up and through your face
you must learn, or you will burn :rolleyes:

3-LockBox
11-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I live nextdoor to the retail mecca for all of southern British Columbia (Bellingham, WA - Vancouver, BC's answer to Tiajuana) and I never see half the titles the rest of the country gets to buy over the counter. If I get any more obscure than the Top 40 (or classic rock), then its off to the dot.com for me. Or when I do finally see it, its years after its relavence, as far as being hip goes, that is. I do have a college CD store locally, if I had a real yen for obscure indie stuff, but as far as my prog stuff, forget it. You'd think we're a bunch of yocals or something.

Snowbunny
11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=3-LockBox]I live nextdoor to the retail mecca for all of southern British Columbia (Bellingham, WA - Vancouver, BC's answer to Tiajuana) [QUOTE]

NICE, Lox! Never heard that before but SO true! Heheheh...

Bellis Fair = Canada's answer to 5th Avenue, NYC! :D

Snowie

Mike
11-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Dork I may be but indie hipster I ain't

Thanks for the words of warning though I'll see if I can find some samples to check out.

Cheers
Mike

tentoze
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I'll take Jesse Sykes over all of them. Isn't she Lucinda's discovery or something?
Dunno about that, but <best Homer voice>,,,,,,Jesse-yummmmmm.

3-LockBox
11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Bellis Fair = Canada's answer to 5th Avenue, NYC! :D

Have you been to Bellis Fair mall? Or Bellingham for that matter?

Swish
11-22-2005, 12:59 PM
You're so mean, Sloshy! Not everyone (see Snowbunny) can run out and pick up this stuff asaFp! My little town doesn't "stock" smallish labels like Subpop.
Snowbuns

Why it must have taken me at least 2 or 3 minutes to click on DeepDiscountcd.com, do the artist search for "Rogue Wave", click on the cd, which will set me back a whopping $10.97 US with free shipping and no tax, and place the order (yawn). I think I'll take nap ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Swish

Swish
11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
This means you Davey, Stone, Swish, Ex Lion Tamer, Snowbunny, Mike, etc. ;) You must go out and get Rogue Wave's Descended Like Vultures asaFp! Trust me on this! :) D

Asafp? See my response to the the Ice Queen and you'll see that I did.

Swish