Lost in the 70's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the 70's

popup
11-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Hellow,

I have several vintage receivers I'd like to use in a HT system (amp section only).
2 Kenwood KR 7600 70wpc for front & rear
1 Kenwood KR 9600 160 wpc for center
What is needed to best complete the system. It will be used for video only.

thanks

paul_pci
11-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Hellow,

I have several vintage receivers I'd like to use in a HT system (amp section only).
2 Kenwood KR 7600 70wpc for front & rear
1 Kenwood KR 9600 160 wpc for center
What is needed to best complete the system. It will be used for video only.

thanks

Your post is kinda confusing. How exactly is the amp section used only for video?

popup
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Paul,

You can remove the jumpers between the amp and pre amp sections of the receiver, two channel, and use the receiver as a stand alone amp or pre amp.

I hope to use the amp sections to power the HT speakers. I,m not sure what to use to feed the amps.

thanks for the help

paul_pci
11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Paul,

You can remove the jumpers between the amp and pre amp sections of the receiver, two channel, and use the receiver as a stand alone amp or pre amp.

I hope to use the amp sections to power the HT speakers. I,m not sure what to use to feed the amps.

thanks for the help

If you're goal is to have a 5.1 HT setup, and depending on your budget, you can get a receiver (which kinda defeats the purpose here) with preouts for the channels you wish to feed to your existing receivers or you could get a surround processor (aka a preamp) to connect to your receivers.

topspeed
11-22-2005, 11:05 AM

thanks for the helpIf I'm reading this right, you want to use the amp sections from two vintage receivers to power the front stage of an HT? Is that right?

Ummm, OhhhKaaay...

If so, you're going to need a pre/pro and at least two more channels of amplification for your surrounds. Pre/pro's run from $500-$50,000. It just depends on depth of your wallet and your level of sanity. Affordable pre/pro's can be had from Adcom, Parasound, and Outlaw. Or, you could get an inexpensive avr, use the pre-outs to your Kenwoods and use the onboard amps to power the surrounds.

You must really like the sound of those ol' Kenwoods to be going through this much trouble.

Hope this helps.