About Power Conditioners? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : About Power Conditioners?

J*E*Cole
11-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Anyone use these things from Monster and others, and do you think they improve things, and if so what? Plus there are the component looking types and the plainer power-strip types, and I know there are like 4 stages of filtering etc,... but can you 'hear' the difference?

Thanks for any input at all, considering buying one of the component types from Monster, mainly because I have an open shelf, and am running out of tweaks.

Thanks alot!

Bernd
11-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone use these things from Monster and others, and do you think they improve things, and if so what? Plus there are the component looking types and the plainer power-strip types, and I know there are like 4 stages of filtering etc,... but can you 'hear' the difference?

Thanks for any input at all, considering buying one of the component types from Monster, mainly because I have an open shelf, and am running out of tweaks.

Thanks alot!

Hi,
I have not heard the Monster gear. I started with having a dedicated spur installed and then added an Isotek Minisub and when I changed Amp I added an Isotek Titan.
All three improved the sound. I got the biggest improvement from the Titan. The backgroung is inky black and it has huge power reserves so it will not stifle the amps performance.But combine all three together and you lift your whole system to another level.After all we listen to electricity and in order to hear the best your rig can sound you need to give it clean fuel.
Don't forget to change the Power cords to the best you can afford.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Peace

Bernd

LMB
11-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I switched from Monster to Panamax
Could not run tv cable through Monster picture looked worse
Ran tv cable through 5100 Panamax and picture improved not much but noticeable
All my equipment runs thru the Panamax (sub,dvd,receiver,xbox,cable box,cd player and TV)

Let us know what you get
Have fun shopping

LMB

Cincy2
11-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes, yes, unquestionably yes. Power conditioners can make a huge difference. I've used several over the years in my two channel stereo system with good results. The best of the lot was not a conditioner but a "regenerator". Made by PS Audio, this box takes your 120V, 60Hz input, rectifies it and uses this DC power to drive a precision oscillator. The output is "regenerated" power without the noise and other power company artifacts. The installation of PS Audios PS300 made a huge difference in the sound of my system. Other well respected units from traditional conditioner companies include: Richard Gray Power Company, Shunyata and Transparent.

nightflier
11-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi, I switched from Monster to Panamax. Could not run tv cable through Monster picture looked worse. Ran tv cable through 5100 Panamax and picture improved not much but noticeable. All my equipment runs thru the Panamax (sub,dvd,receiver,xbox,cable box,cd player and TV).LMB

That's been my experience: no real audible difference, but definitely noticeable TV improvement. Maybe that's because my hearing is not as good as my eyesight.

HAVIC
11-23-2005, 06:00 AM
If picture is the only noticeable effect why not go for a Power Conditioner/Surge Suppressor: Tripp Lite HT10DBS for $60. If definetly help with my video. I bought this one because I did not want to invest hundreds of dollars into tecnology I was not sure was going to help me. The second reason was because all of these conditioners out their will stop being surge protectors in 1-2 years. So why buy a $1000 surge protector when it will be useless to protect you in a couple of years. I've been very happy with the tripp lite for the money. Filters cable,internet,phone, and your electronics. What more could you ask for.

I've looked into the PS Audio and while I really like what they do, I can not afford the few thousand dollars for their unit.