Any CRT TV that comes with Progressive Scan? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any CRT TV that comes with Progressive Scan?

yon_wu
11-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I know this is a silly question to ask you guys, but I'm new to this AV world.

I was going to upgrade to HDTV that has a progressive scan feature, as my new Rotel DVD player has that feature. But having reading many discusions in this forum, I decided to stick to CRT TV, they are cheaper and sharper. But I still need the progressive scan TV.

1).Are there any CRTs TV that has progressive scan feature? What brand is the best? What size is the smallest, coz my viewing room is not so big.
2).Are progressive scan feature only comes with HDTV? In this case, I will have to buy a new HDTV. And again what brand is the best?

Thanks!

EdwardGein
11-18-2005, 10:44 PM
You should be able to play progressive scan DVD players with most HDTV CRT sets. What you will need to buy though and are probably not aware of are 2 sets of decent component cables: 1 to conect your DVD player to your TV & the other to connect you cable/satellite HD
Box/DVR to your TV. Do not use the free ones your cable company or satellite company provides you as they are cheap & picture quality is affected by poor cables. I'd recommend you get on Ebay new 2 sets of Monster Component Cables either entry level or the mid priced range. I'd also recommend you get/rent an HD DVR. Good luck

edtyct
11-19-2005, 07:53 AM
By and large, CRTs can scan progressively only at 480--the current format for DVD and enhanced digital TV programming. They don't have enough juice to go progressive at any higher format. They draw HD at 1080i, since scanning 540 lines per field at one time is easier for them to do than to draw 720 lines per frame in a single pass. You are right, however, that if you want a TV that scans or illuminates progressively, it must be a digital TV, capable of at least 480p. Whether the progressive feature is located in your DVD player, STB, or TV set doesn't matter.

I hate to burst anyone's prejudices, but the best direct-view CRT on the market is the Sony 34" XBR, which is capable of incredibly smooth pictures and much more horizontal resolution than most other CRTs of its class. The German Loew models were great, too, though pricey and a bit fussy. I don't believe that they are available any more. The non-XBR Sonys have always been good choices, too, and Sony has had a policy of making last year's XBR the next year's regular model. The only Sony caveat is the scrolling bar at 1080i, which is hardly visible until someone points it out to you. Some people don't mind it; it drives other people crazy. To be honest, I don't know whether Sony has yet found a way to correct it, since it was an integral by-product of their TV's scanning. If your're interested, you might check under "direct-view TVs" at the AVS forums to see what people are saying about Sonys these days.

Other companies have produced good direct views, too--Panasonic, Philips, Toshiba, and Samsung, to name three, though R&D on these kinds of sets has all but tapped out. I don't think that it makes much sense to buy an HD-capable direct-view CRT under 30" no matter what size your room is. Step back from the screen to any degree, and the HD advantage all but disappears. With any of the 30" to 40" sets, you shouldn't be any further than a few feet away to enjoy the resolution.

Ed

EdwardGein
11-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Forgot to add, I have a 48" HDTV & just got a 34" HDTV to replace the 30" one that was too small for me in the bedroom. If you are putting it in the living room definately get a big screen HD Ready one, my Mitsubishi cost $1600 a year ago & is probably alot cheaper today & the picture is great. If its for your bedroom don't get one smaller then 32". Make sure you buy a widescreen one that's from a name brand. Also, too save money just buy one that says its HD ready if you're going to be hooked up by your Satellite or Cable Company unless you just want to throw money away & get one with a built in tuner/receiver.

yon_wu
11-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the quick response to EdwardGein and Edtyct.
I was trying to find the Sony XBR series in my area, like Ed proposed, but they don't have it. Instead they offer me theese two Sony television, they are:

36-inch HR Series FD Trinitron WEGA
KV-HR36M61
* 16:9 Widescreen Aspect Ratio
* WEGA Engine
* Super Fine Pitch CRT
* Multi High Definition Ready with DVD Progressive Input Capability
* Built-in Memory Stickā„¢ Slot (JPEG & MPEG1 Playback)
and
34-inch HZ Series FD Trinitron WEGA
KV-HZ34M65
* WEGA Engine
* Super Fine Pitch CRT
* Multi High Definition Ready with DVD Progressive Input Capability
* DRC-F (DRC1250, DRC100, DRC Progressive)
* Multi Image Driver-X with Cinema Drive Mode

Now, my viewing preference are: 70% DVD, and 30% satelite TV.
I'm still trying to find XBR Series if it is available in my area.
But among those two above, which is better for my preferences?
And compare to XBR Series, how is the two TV above? Cost and performance wise?
Thank you again.

edtyct
11-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Both of these Indonesian models look a lot like XBRs. The distinguishing feature of these high-end CRTs is the super fine pitch grille, which both have. If your HR and HZ models aren't XBRs exactly in their model year, they probably were last year's, which wouldn't amount to much of a difference. Sony's DRC deinterlacing has always looked good to me. I would go with the 36" model, if you can afford it, since it is a widescreen 16x9 model that will serve you well for DVDs. Am I wrong that the 34" is an academy 4x3 screen? Other than that, the two sets' specs and features seem similar. One difference between these sets and the corresponding ones in the US is that neither of appears to carry a digital video input. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar enough with Far Eastern pricing to relate it to US pricing. I hope that it helps to tell you that Sony's Super Fine Pitch CRTs are not inexpensive.

Ed

yon_wu
11-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Both of these Indonesian models look a lot like XBRs.
Bravo Ed, you amazed me! Your knowledge of HT is really fantastic! You even know those were Indonesian models. Salute!

I would go with the 36" model, if you can afford it, since it is a widescreen 16x9 model that will serve you well for DVDs. Am I wrong that the 34" is an academy 4x3 screen?
That's right, the 34" is an academy 4x3 screen.

I hope that it helps to tell you that Sony's Super Fine Pitch CRTs are not inexpensive.
Yup! The 36" model I had my eyes on, is US$ 2,197. I have to reconsider and then decide which one I buy first, you know, budget wise - Between B&W Nautilus 804 speakers or this widescreen Sony. I will let you know my decision then.

If its for your bedroom don't get one smaller then 32". Make sure you buy a widescreen one that's from a name brand. Also, too save money just buy one that says its HD ready if you're going to be hooked up by your Satellite or Cable Company unless you just want to throw money away & get one with a built in tuner/receiver.

Thanks Edward, based on your advise, if I decided to buy new HDTV, I would go with widescreen one. And in my research I have narrowed down my study to Sony HDTV's. The above are the specs, I really really had my eyes on the 36" widescreen one. I will let you know wether I'm going to buy new widescreen TV or B&W Nautilus Series.
Thank you again, this forum has been really helpful, and you guys(Edward & Ed) amazed me with your experience and knowledge. God bless you all!

Yon Wu