Good Headphones? Any Suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good Headphones? Any Suggestions

L.J.
11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Can anyone recommend some really good headphones for watching movies?

Also how's the wireless? Has anybody used any?

EdwardGein
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend wireless. The quality simply isn't as good, if I'm wrong on this, feel free to criticize. As far as headphones, if we're just talking superlightweight, you don't know they're on, Koss PortaPro's are great but I recommend only using them for ipods/mp3 players. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555 Audiophile Headphones which retail for $170 but you can get for $150 new with free shipping on Amazon.com or $95 plus shipping refurbished their or $89 plus shipping B items on Ebay. There's a review on them on the link below and they were built for home theater. Sound quality is very good but I'm sure more expensive headphones give better sound

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVDQ/sr=1-1/qid=1132360611/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9292427-7447132?%5Fencoding=UTF8

L.J.
11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually I need some for watching movies. Had a new edition to the family on the 15th and I'm sure my wife would kill me if I even thought about throwing a movie on. Any suggestions for movie use. I looked at crutchfield and they range from 19.99 to 299.00.

L.J.
11-18-2005, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't recommend wireless. The quality simply isn't as good, if I'm wrong on this, feel free to criticize. As far as headphones, if we're just talking superlightweight, you don't know they're on, Koss PortaPro's are great but I recommend only using them for ipods/mp3 players. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555 Audiophile Headphones which retail for $170 but you can get for $150 new with free shipping on Amazon.com or $95 plus shipping refurbished their or $89 plus shipping B items on Ebay. There's a review on them on the link below and they were built for home theater. Sound quality is very good but I'm sure more expensive headphones give better sound

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVDQ/sr=1-1/qid=1132360611/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9292427-7447132?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Sorry about that. I scanned through your post and didn't read the whole thing before I replied. I'll check those out. Thanks

caniac
11-18-2005, 06:01 PM
From my experience, it's best to avoid wireless altogether. Sound quality degrades, plus you get the occasional interference from other devices (radar detectors, microwaves, cordless phones, etc).

noddin0ff
11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I've got Sennheiser HD-570's that I use for movies. They are comfy and roomy for long sessions and large ears, the sound is pretty neutral. I more or less compare them tonally similar to my studio 20's. They are not fatiguing. And probably most important, they are open construction so, barring Armaggedon explosions, I can hear when the little one cries...or the big one I married for that matter. I think they were just over $120 new from some box electronic store.

Woochifer
11-18-2005, 06:11 PM
For the money, the Grado headphones are hard to beat for the performance that they deliver. The $70 SR-60 is one of the best purchases I've ever made in audio -- a bargain for the sound quality that you get. Just a great all-around performer that works equally well with portables and components. The $95 SR-80 has slightly more bass. The only drawbacks are that they look like WWII-vintage military hardware, and they're not the most comfortable cans you'll ever try out.

The Senns are a lot more comfortable and also well regarded, but I found out the hard way that they will tend to voice some of their headphones differently than others (I bought a pair of their now-discontinued HD500s -- abysmal sounding headphones that way overshot the bass and had a dark and depressing tone overall).

Jack in Wilmington
11-18-2005, 06:23 PM
My personal preference are Sennheiser's. Own 3 pairs now from the HD-590, to wireless and ear buds. Try BUYeRETAIL.com they have great prices on most models. They have the HD-580 for $118.00 just as an example.

L.J.
11-18-2005, 07:16 PM
For the money, the Grado headphones are hard to beat for the performance that they deliver. The $70 SR-60 is one of the best purchases I've ever made in audio -- a bargain for the sound quality that you get. Just a great all-around performer that works equally well with portables and components. The $95 SR-80 has slightly more bass. The only drawbacks are that they look like WWII-vintage military hardware, and they're not the most comfortable cans you'll ever try out.

The Senns are a lot more comfortable and also well regarded, but I found out the hard way that they will tend to voice some of their headphones differently than others (I bought a pair of their now-discontinued HD500s -- abysmal sounding headphones that way overshot the bass and had a dark and depressing tone overall).

Hey Woochifer,

Was the bass from the SR-80's overwhelming? Why did you choose the SR-60 vs the SR-80. Also where's a good place to take a look at em? I'm assumming it'll have to be online.

Woochifer
11-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey Woochifer,

Was the bass from the SR-80's overwhelming? Why did you choose the SR-60 vs the SR-80. Also where's a good place to take a look at em? I'm assumming it'll have to be online.

It came down to price -- I don't listen thru headphones enough to justify paying more than I did. The SR-60 already has a pretty good amount of bass, so I went with them. I never had a chance to listen to the SR-80s -- people I've talked to who have listened to both indicate that the bass is the primary difference between the two models, since they share the same basic components.

The Grados are very easy to find at independent audio retailers, and among the chain stores, I know that Magnolia carries them (not sure about their Best Buy locations though, since they primarily carry home theater components).

L.J.
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tip ED. I picked up the HD-555 today at Good Guys for 30% off. Came to a little over $100. Last pair in the store.

EdwardGein
11-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the tip ED. I picked up the HD-555 today at Good Guys for 30% off. Came to a little over $100. Last pair in the store.

Good for you. Paul PCI got a $1,000 sub for $400 or $500 there on their clearance sale. When I went there a week or so ago, I and every customer I spoke to there, was totally dissapointed as everyone thought their "clearance" prices were still higher then normal prices as Best Buy & Circuit City, etc.

Woochifer
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Good for you. Paul PCI got a $1,000 sub for $400 or $500 there on their clearance sale. When I went there a week or so ago, I and every customer I spoke to there, was totally dissapointed as everyone thought their "clearance" prices were still higher then normal prices as Best Buy & Circuit City, etc.

Then the people that you talked to aren't really paying attention the normal prices at BB and CC. BB and CC typically don't deviate much from the list price on their electronics, except when it goes on special or clearance. The speaker prices when I went there three weeks ago were already going 30% off (and for Energy, Klipsch, and Monitor Audio, that kind of pricing is almost impossible to get, except during closeouts).

Going back there tonite to check on the SACD players. If the Sony ES model I'm interested in has hit the 50% off mark, then I'll probably buy one.

L.J.
11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
When I went today, all audio(except speakers) and video were 30% off. DVD's, Monster products and all speakers were 40% off. Some items were as high as 75% off but nothing I cared about. I could tell that they're moving product. The only thing that sucks is that they're selling new and open boxed at the same price. This has been my experience, anyway.

smoothjazz
11-25-2005, 04:34 PM
I highly highly recommend the sony mdr-xd400 stereo headphones ibrought a pair $100.00 and I love them! The unit has a switch on the cord 4 music or movie mode,50 mm drivers put them on the highs or sooooo smooth bass sounds fantastic I forgot I was wearing headphones.......checkem out!