Lacuna Coil: a comment or two [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lacuna Coil: a comment or two

3-LockBox
11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
I recently purchased all three of their albums to date (on of them containing an EP, so technically, 4 albums). Its an Italian goth-metal band, with both a female and a male singer. There are six members all together and there's a keyboard in the mix. Style ranges from straight ahead rock to alternative to metal with a goth aestetic. Some people compare them to Evenessence, whoever the hell that is. I wouldn't call them prog.

I like 'em. The female lead singer, Christina Scabbia, has a superb voice. Her male counterpart, does not. A lot of people elsewhere have made this a big deal, but I think it works. The dude doesn't sing that much, and when he does its usually a call and response type delivery to Scabbia's lead. His goth-style rantings offer dramatic contrast to Scabbia's angelic, etherial voice. If he was as good a singer as her, then he'd have split long ago. He probably knows which side his bread is buttered on, so he's content to offer what he can, and that prolly works out better for the band as a whole. He's not going to challenger her for front time.

This is definately a vehicle for Scabbia and she carries what would essentially be a mediocre band without her. Scabbia's lyrical prose keeps some rather lack luster songs afloat, while the stronger material comes across as pretty good, alternative rock, especially on their latest (and most consistant IMO) album, Comalies. She seems to have a pretty good grasp of english so there are no screwy lines ala Flower Kings (she's the principle lyricist). And the interplay of the male/female vocals has improved with every release, so has the band's playing, as they have progressed beyond the goth trappings. They don't exactly recall the Buckingham/Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac, but they seem to be shooting in that general direction vocally. Their last album seemed to be entering A Perfect Circle territory, in that they're getting harder to pigeonhole.

I'd definately recommend Comalies, but I'd rather tell people to keep an eye out for their next release than to recommend any of their earlier albums because they were just a tad moribund for my tastes. They each have their good moments though. Maybe they were still getting their footing. They have definately inproved over each subsequent release and that's a good sign IMO. We'll see how long they can hang on to Scabbia.

Thanks to all who recommended this band

3LB

Duds
11-18-2005, 05:22 AM
She's married to another band member, i think its the male vocalist. So unless they get divorced, which we all know is quite possible these days, she will be with them for a while.

Their new album is due out in April 06. Cant wait!!

I recently purchased all three of their albums to date (on of them containing an EP, so technically, 4 albums). Its an Italian goth-metal band, with both a female and a male singer. There are six members all together and there's a keyboard in the mix. Style ranges from straight ahead rock to alternative to metal with a goth aestetic. Some people compare them to Evenessence, whoever the hell that is. I wouldn't call them prog.

I like 'em. The female lead singer, Christina Scabbia, has a superb voice. Her male counterpart, does not. A lot of people elsewhere have made this a big deal, but I think it works. The dude doesn't sing that much, and when he does its usually a call and response type delivery to Scabbia's lead. His goth-style rantings offer dramatic contrast to Scabbia's angelic, etherial voice. If he was as good a singer as her, then he'd have split long ago. He probably knows which side his bread is buttered on, so he's content to offer what he can, and that prolly works out better for the band as a whole. He's not going to challenger her for front time.

This is definately a vehicle for Scabbia and she carries what would essentially be a mediocre band without her. Scabbia's lyrical prose keeps some rather lack luster songs afloat, while the stronger material comes across as pretty good, alternative rock, especially on their latest (and most consistant IMO) album, Comalies. She seems to have a pretty good grasp of english so there are no screwy lines ala Flower Kings (she's the principle lyricist). And the interplay of the male/female vocals has improved with every release, so has the band's playing, as they have progressed beyond the goth trappings. They don't exactly recall the Buckingham/Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac, but they seem to be shooting in that general direction vocally. Their last album seemed to be entering A Perfect Circle territory, in that they're getting harder to pigeonhole.

I'd definately recommend Comalies, but I'd rather tell people to keep an eye out for their next release than to recommend any of their earlier albums because they were just a tad moribund for my tastes. They each have their good moments though. Maybe they were still getting their footing. They have definately inproved over each subsequent release and that's a good sign IMO. We'll see how long they can hang on to Scabbia.

Thanks to all who recommended this band

3LB

ForeverAutumn
11-18-2005, 05:43 AM
So, is this something that I'd like, do you think?

Duds
11-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Christina has an amazing voice.

There's a special edition 2 cd version of Comalies, the second disc contains some acoustic stuff that is excellent. Check it out!

Dusty Chalk
11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
So, is this something that I'd like, do you think?Worth listening to in the listening station at the store. Should give you a pretty good taste.

Actually, you'd be surprised about the male lead singer. When I saw them in concert, the rest of the band came out first, then the male lead singer -- he made his entrance dramatic, like he expected the applause to go up 6db or something, and then when Cristina came out, then it went up 12db (or somethin').

What I like about the band so much is that every song is a duet (mostly). Those are hard to write, so you definitely have to be a lyrics person to fully appreciate the band (I appreesh, but not fully).

I think there's a version of Senzafine on every disk, two on one. Or sumpin'.

3-LockBox
11-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Worth listening to in the listening station at the store. Should give you a pretty good taste.

What I like about the band so much is that every song is a duet (mostly). Those are hard to write, so you definitely have to be a lyrics person to fully appreciate the band (I appreesh, but not fully).

Scabbia is a lyrics person...and if her husband is the male lead singer, then he is along for the....well, lets just say he's got pretty good gig.

I hope they ditch the goth trappings completely by this next album.

3-LockBox
11-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Your's and mine tastes seem to run neck and neck, FA...but you might want to stick with the newer stuff. Or go look at your PM's.....(hint)