RCA "Living Stereo" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA "Living Stereo"

daviethek
11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I've seen an advert for a set of 30 RCA "Living Stereo" classical records from the 50's and 60's remastered to SACD. Looks like a tremendous set, I'm wondering if anyone as heard these and what the comments are. Thanks,dk

Javier
11-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I've seen an advert for a set of 30 RCA "Living Stereo" classical records from the 50's and 60's remastered to SACD. Looks like a tremendous set, I'm wondering if anyone as heard these and what the comments are. Thanks,dk
very satisfied particularly with Scherezade reiner/chicago orchestra, Gershwin rhspsody in blue/concerto en F, american in paris/boston pops with Fiedler. Mussorsgky pictures and exhibition/ Reiner chicago orchestra, Tchaykovsky/ Brhams violin concertos with Heifetz.

noddin0ff
11-18-2005, 07:56 AM
ditto for the Bartok Concerto for Orch. and the Tchaykovsky/Rachmaninof Piano Concert. Listening in 3-channel SACD was very nice for the T/R piano concerto where the piano image was centered in the center channel.

Dusty Chalk
11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Where's Pat? I am curious about some of these, too.

(I realize he's mostly a vinyl junkie.)

noddin0ff
11-18-2005, 10:12 AM
To be a little more specific, you can read about the performances in the various guides to see what the critical consensus on the performance is. Most good classical shops will have the guides lying about or available behind the counter. I have no doubt that this is the best transfer from master of these performances available. You can read a description of the process used here.
http://www.livingstereo-sacd.com/sacd/index.jsp

Only some of the Living Stereo performances were recorded on 3 tracks (left, center, right). The rest are 2 track. That's how they will play on SACD. Some disks have both 2-channel and 3-channel recordings. The Tchaikovsky/ Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto is a hybrid CD and 3 tracks throughout. The 3 track SACD experience images better than the CD layer and so sounds more like an actual performance, but that's not surprising since that's what a center channel is for. They were recorded with potential 3-channel playback in mind. I can’t really claim to hear any significant difference between the CD vs. SACD quality, but I haven’t really tried. I’m not a big Tchaikovsky fan but really found myself very engaged here, partially due to the anchored center, and partially due to the quality of the disk. The CD layer was down mixed from the DSD.

I’m sure modern recording methods, if used then, would give you a better recording. But these presumably are of the more significant past performances and recordings. So really, the buying decision really comes down to what you think of the performance. I’m considering these a good way to build a classical library. Several, I already have in other performances/versions, but wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade if I got the urge.

The 3-channel experience in my mind is a definite plus. The rear channels are not active; if you feel 5.1 is too gimmicky for classical music, I don’t think you’d have a problem here.

daviethek
11-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the comments, I'm going to pick my favorite composers and jump in for 5 or 6 of them. I figure I can't loose with that much attention being payed to the recording process.

Kind of wish they would do that consistently with the modern recordings.

Pat D
11-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Where's Pat? I am curious about some of these, too.

(I realize he's mostly a vinyl junkie.)
A vinyl junkie? Who me? We have been doing a lot of things to the house lately, including new siding. Also, we will be going on a trip. So I haven't had so much time to listen and post lately.

I haven't heard those SACD reissues of RCA Living Stereo releases. Right now, I have no plans to buy any SACDs. I don't think there is enough of a catalogue yet for me to bother with them.

markw
11-19-2005, 07:41 PM
A vinyl junkie? Who me? We have been doing a lot of things to the house lately, including new siding. Also, we will be going on a trip. So I haven't had so much time to listen and post lately.

I haven't heard those SACD reissues of RCA Living Stereo releases. Right now, I have no plans to buy any SACDs. I don't think there is enough of a catalogue yet for me to bother with them.They have both the 3 channel SACD from the original masters and a two channel redbook version on the same disc. They sound at least as good as the "old" RCA* CD releases of these. I have a few dupes but am hard pressed to consistently make a value judgment.

...and they are dirt cheap!

*haven't tried the XRCD versions. ..too rich for my blood