Jack Black does Christmas [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jack Black does Christmas

Snowbunny
11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Also known as Trans-Siberian Ochestra - The Lost Christmas Eve

Did you see Jack Black do his "wizard rock" parody? That's what I think of when I listen to their most recent release. I'd love to see this extravaganza live, but unfortunately they seem to favour the east side of our continent when they tour.

Autumnbabe was the first one to bring this band to my attention, and I had no idea what to expect. I do like it, but its not exactly a disc I'd play in the background over Christmas dinner.

Well, unless I was inviting the "prog" crowd to dinner. And I assure you, I'm not. (I would insert a smilie here but they don't seem to be working.)

There's a mix of classic caroles and some that are unique to this orchestra. What can I say about a Christmas song called - Wizards in Winter? I know - Uriah Heep lives!!!

I thank FA for bringing TSO to may attention. Being a big Queen fan, this disk works for me, and I can't imagine it wouldn't be a hit with a lot of the posters here.

And it would be worth getting, just to see the look on Grandma's face when the guitar solo ala Brian May kicks in on O Come All Ye Faithful. Heheheh...

Snowbuns - First day of skiing - Saturday!!!
Bringing along American Idiot and Mysterious Production yadayada....

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, you're most very welcome. But really the cudos should go to Mr. Jim Clark for bringing this most awesome music into my life. If you ever get the chance to see this live, you really should go. I believe that I've seen Seattle on their tour dates. I know it's a bit of a hike for you, but well worth the trip. This isn't just a concert. It's a Christmas Extravaganza! You can cross the border can't you? ;)

American Idiot would be fine skiing music indeed. I miss the days of swishing down the slopes. I loved to ski before my knees gave out and made it nearly impossible for me to last more than a couple of hours on the hills. When it takes longer to drive to the mountain than you can last skiing the mountain, it quickly loses its appeal. I miss it. It was, IMO, the only thing that made winter worthwhile. I can't ski anymore and so, have no use for snow. BaaaaaHumBug.

As for TSO as background dinner music, I agree, it doesn't really work. But crank that stuff as loud as you can while you're COOKING dinner, and even the turkey will stand up to play air guitar!

Snowbunny
11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Well, you're most very welcome. But really the cudos should go to Mr. Jim Clark for bringing this most awesome music into my life.

Can I give Jimminy Cricket kudos, instead? :D Fun rave rec!

I can't ski anymore and so, have no use for snow. BaaaaaHumBug.

Have you seen these??? It may bring back your winter spirit.

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Can I give Jimminy Cricket kudos, instead? :D Fun rave rec!

Have you seen these??? It may bring back your winter spirit.

Not until I need a Walker to actually walk will I use a Walker to ski!!! :eek:

Slosh
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I heard Andrew Bird on NPR today. It was just him and the drummer in the studio (as far as I could tell - I was at work and really too busy to pay much attention). They performed "Skin Is, My" and "Why" acoustically. NPR is rebroadcasting it again tonight at 7:45 (at least the NPR in Philly is).

What's this have to do with anything? Nothing!

NP: Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

Snowbunny
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I heard Andrew Bird on NPR today. It was just him and the drummer in the studio (as far as I could tell - I was at work and really too busy to pay much attention). They performed "Skin Is, My" and "Why" acoustically. NPR is rebroadcasting it again tonight at 7:45 (at least the NPR in Philly is).

What's this have to do with anything? Nothing!

NP: Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

Hey there, Beefyboy! Where ya been? I thought maybe I hurt your feelings or something. We never spar anymore. ;)

This is very on-topic considering I mentioned Mysterious Eggs. But what is NPR? I just figured out ACL, but I don't think we get it here.

Do you like A Ghost is Born? Its still not a grower for me. Big Wilco fan that I am.

Slosh
11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey there, Beefyboy! Where ya been? I thought maybe I hurt your feelings or something. We never spar anymore. ;)Feelings? :confused:
This is very on-topic considering I mentioned Mysterious Eggs. But what is NPR? I just figured out ACL, but I don't think we get it here. National Public Radio

Do you like A Ghost is Born?Very much. I have no idea what your problem is :p

Snowbunny
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
I have no idea what your problem is :p

Ohmygawd, I'm so glad you asked!

There's this really *****y woman at work, who walks, talks, and sits like a man but I'm pretty sure she's female.

Well, she makes this really annoying "snorking" sound about 200 times a day and it literally makes my skin crawl. And she sets her tinny little radio on the country station and I can't make out the songs but can hear the constant whine of the music over my radio which is usually playing CBC, which is our NPR, I guess.

She does absolutely nothing and if anyone asks anything of her, she claims "I'm on a deadline!" and finally closes her office door. She claims she's moving away to get married next summer to the guy she's been long-distance dating for EIGHT years! Never gonna happen.

Today she phoned in sick because she "poked herself in the eye!" :mad:

Whew... I feel much better now.

I'll tell you about my stupid neighbours later.

Snowbore (I think I need a boyfriend - :D )

PS - That's not a hint or anything. ;)

Slosh
11-17-2005, 05:42 PM
. . . . yada, yada, yada. . . . Today she phoned in sick because she "poked herself in the eye!" :mad:
True story:
Once a friend of mine called in sick to work because at 5 AM he walked into the bathroom door with a morning hard on. Supervisor told him he'd better find a job somewhere else where he wouldn't have to get up so early, but at least he didn't take an eye out. :)

And no, that friend wasn't me. Really!

NP: What Made Milwaukee Famous on ACL

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
True story:
Once a friend of mine called in sick to work because at 5 AM he walked into the bathroom door with a morning hard on. Supervisor told him he'd better find a job somewhere else where he wouldn't have to get up so early, but at least he didn't take an eye out. :)

Hard on...taking an eye out. Oh the short jokes running through my head! Sometimes its too hard to remain PC. :rolleyes:

I think I'm getting a headache. :(

3-LockBox
11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Snowbuns - First day of skiing - Saturday!!!
Bringing along American Idiot and Mysterious Production yadayada....

Going to Whistler, eh?

I went there decades ago, when I was in the Navy. Ever ski 'down yonder way', say at Mt Baker or further south, say Stevens Pass?

I forgot about you living that close to where I live.