What is advisable? New or used? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is advisable? New or used?

DikkieDick
11-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Hello,

I'm also looking around for a suround-receiver to replace my 10+ year-old but still functioning Pioneer SX-339 receiver. I own a set of JBL TLX320-speakers which in combination with the receiver sounds very great.

I can buy a new Pioneer VSX-915 for about € 320 and a used Denon AVR-2801 for about €250. I know the latter was much more expensive when it came out, but do I miss some of the new technology? The Denon will be about 5 years old.
I can't really decide between the two. For real surround experience I will also need a bunch of speakers.

Greetings, Dick

caniac
11-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Don't buy a five-year old receiver...at least, not at that price.

Not when you can get a brand-new one with comparable power and far more and newer features and technology for about the same amount of money. The Pioneer model you speak of is a solid machine, and FWIW, you should be able to find it at least $50 cheaper if you shop around.

Woochifer
11-18-2005, 08:47 PM
That's probably too much money for that specific receiver. The AVR-2801 is a 5.1 receiver and it lacks a lot of the decoding and switching functionality that newer receivers have. It might have been more expensive, but the overall quality of the Pioneer is also pretty good, and you don't have five years of wear and tear on the unit.

If you're going to go used, you might want to look to something newer simply because receivers can and will fail at some point, and five years represents a lot of prior usage.

EdwardGein
11-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I got the Denon 3801 used in very good condition and am very happy with it Cost me around $400. It retailed new for $1200 plus tax when it came out 3-5 years ago. The sound is great.
I'm not familiar with the other set, just know that irregardless if a Denon 3801 was 5 years old and a new Denon just came out, I do not think there will be much difference in the sound quality of the DVD or CD or TV sound of what you're playing, provided you have excellent optic cables & speaker wires/cables too. I'd go with the used Denon provided you know the seller is reliable & it will work fine for the next few years but again my only criteria is sound quality for my ears not other factors that people might value.

DikkieDick
11-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Don't buy a five-year old receiver...at least, not at that price.

Not when you can get a brand-new one with comparable power and far more and newer features and technology for about the same amount of money. The Pioneer model you speak of is a solid machine, and FWIW, you should be able to find it at least $50 cheaper if you shop around.

Thanx...

In Europe, e.g. the Netherlands, the cheapest for the Pioneer I can find is € 319. I can try to get in the States but the hassle around and costs of posting/sending will make it more expensive then. The Denon can be get for € 250, but if I offer € 200, I might get it as well (probably and hopefully). Yes, I bear in mind that it's 5 years old. I don't know if it will last for another 5 years, but it should do, because I don't want to buy another one in a few years. My current (also Pioneer-)receiver is 12 or 13 years old and still in very good shape.
So that's why I also doubt to get the new Pioneer. As it is as solid as my current, I will be using it for the next 10 years.

Greetings, Dick