Speed problems on my vintage turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speed problems on my vintage turntable

jaybird
11-17-2005, 05:46 AM
I own a Creative Lab-400 direct drive turntable from 1978. Back then it was the High-End model of the creative turntables. I bought it from a guy for 25 euros, who had found it in his uncles house. It 's a good sounding, performing turntable when I set on the 33 rpm but when I switch to 45 rpm, it lets me down. The damn thing can't keep its speed constant on 45 rpm, it goes faster then goes slower, it sucks. On 33rpm it works perfect. I can't realy figure out what the problem is, or how I can fix that. I'd like to fix this problem, since it's one of the most beautiful turntables, ever build I think. Anny sugestions?

Philippe Michiels

Gent - Belgium

SlumpBuster
11-18-2005, 08:04 PM
If its direct drive, then 95% chance it is the motor. Which pretty much means your not fixing it yourself without locating a replacement motor. The other 5% is if it has a pitch control on it that allows you to adjust the speed +/- 10%, or similar number. I had a table were I had to short circuit around the pitch control to solve a similar wow and flutter problem on 45 RPM. Just a little solder, a half inch wire and a few snips and problem solved. But if it is the motor itself, your options are going to be limited.

Such is the way it goes with vintage. Good luck. :D