Best drug albums of all time? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best drug albums of all time?

dmb_fan
11-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I haven't posted here for months or years, but I had a conversation last night over some beers that I knew could be elucidated by the bunch on Rave Recs...

What's the best drug album of all time? (Disclaimer: You don't have to be a drug user or encourage drug use to participate in this list. Most of us have probably had the experience at one time or another of listening to music after a few drinks or a few whatever and thinking, my god! This sounds incredible! If you know something that's missing on this list, please pipe up!)

I think anyone who argues against Sgt. Pepper's for 1st place is a damn lunatic, but I'm interested in seeing what the runner-ups are for folks. I'll get things rolling:

Dark Side of the Moon.
Tough to pick just one Floyd, but I'll go with this one. Scary as hell, but WOW!

Electric Ladyland.
Again, tough to pick just one Jimi. Any album that begins with "and the gods made love" is clearly meant to be enjoyed with some recreational pharmacuticals.

Side B of Abbey Road.
Okay, so I couldn't stick to just one from the Fab Four. I've always been a Paul kind of guy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
This might be more of a booze album than a drug album, but my suspicion is that it would hold up well either way.

Kid A.
Gotta be some Radiohead on a list like this, right?

The Soft Bulletin.
Yoshimi is a close runner-up, but this album reaches further into the cinematic themes that work so well while loaded.

II.
Pick yer Zeplin I-IV, but I'll stick with II.

Tommy.
Like dark side of the moon, too scary to listen to on the wrong night, but powerful stuff when taken in moderation. I've never heard Quadrophenia, which I suspect would make this list.

Kind of Blue.
Some folks think this is easy listening. Them folks are out of their minds.

Anyhow, that's a start. I'd love for folks to fill in some of the HUGE gaps here.

Thanks for playing!

topspeed
11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
I must be a lunatic because I'd pick Wish You Were Here over DSOTM and Sgt. Pepper. Too many nights with the laser machine and fiber optic ball playing this disc to choose anything else.

Notables:

Bob Marley - Legend

AC/DC - Back in Black

Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe

Simon & Garfunkle - Greatest Hits (Scarborough Fair is always a winner)

Roxy Music - Avalon

3-LockBox
11-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Any Floyd album will do...

Porcupine Tree-Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways

King Crimson- any 'Larks' era album

Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds - depends on what yer doing, but it works...BTW: if you have the vinyl copy, the art work is "something else" under the influence.

Oh hell, there are just too many to list them all...

Let us know how it works out;)

ForeverAutumn
11-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm more of a WYWH person too, or Meddle. The whole PF portfolio are good listens with a little buzz on...not that I do that anymore...but back when I did.

Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I always leaned a little towards the proggy and the freaky when I was high.

Dusty Chalk
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Disclaimer: I have never partaken, nor intend to, but I have been accused of "having drugs for blood" (and if you knew my musical tastes, you'd probably agree), so my list is the same as my list of favourites while sober.

A couple that stand out:

Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here and Animals
Talk Talk, Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock
Slowdive, Just for a Day (L, it's been likened to an hallucinogen)

Here's a new one: Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Russom, The Days of Mars -- channeling the Tangerine Dream days from their golden period.

That's all for now, make sure you can still wake up in the morning. ;)

Ex Lion Tamer
11-17-2005, 04:58 AM
A couple that would make my list...

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Gary Numan - Replicas
The Stranglers - Feline

Dave_G
11-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Bob Marley - Rastaman Vibration

Dave

Duds
11-17-2005, 05:23 AM
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

I haven't posted here for months or years, but I had a conversation last night over some beers that I knew could be elucidated by the bunch on Rave Recs...

What's the best drug album of all time? (Disclaimer: You don't have to be a drug user or encourage drug use to participate in this list. Most of us have probably had the experience at one time or another of listening to music after a few drinks or a few whatever and thinking, my god! This sounds incredible! If you know something that's missing on this list, please pipe up!)

I think anyone who argues against Sgt. Pepper's for 1st place is a damn lunatic, but I'm interested in seeing what the runner-ups are for folks. I'll get things rolling:

Dark Side of the Moon.
Tough to pick just one Floyd, but I'll go with this one. Scary as hell, but WOW!

Electric Ladyland.
Again, tough to pick just one Jimi. Any album that begins with "and the gods made love" is clearly meant to be enjoyed with some recreational pharmacuticals.

Side B of Abbey Road.
Okay, so I couldn't stick to just one from the Fab Four. I've always been a Paul kind of guy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
This might be more of a booze album than a drug album, but my suspicion is that it would hold up well either way.

Kid A.
Gotta be some Radiohead on a list like this, right?

The Soft Bulletin.
Yoshimi is a close runner-up, but this album reaches further into the cinematic themes that work so well while loaded.

II.
Pick yer Zeplin I-IV, but I'll stick with II.

Tommy.
Like dark side of the moon, too scary to listen to on the wrong night, but powerful stuff when taken in moderation. I've never heard Quadrophenia, which I suspect would make this list.

Kind of Blue.
Some folks think this is easy listening. Them folks are out of their minds.

Anyhow, that's a start. I'd love for folks to fill in some of the HUGE gaps here.

Thanks for playing!

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2005, 05:45 AM

Oh, that's a good one!

jasn
11-17-2005, 05:50 AM
So in other words, you're asking me to recollect my entire album collection from 30 years ago? A few that jump up fast (in order):

Robin Trower: Bridge of Sighs
Yes: Close to the Edge
EL&P: Taurkus
The Moody Blues: Anything from 1967-1972...you pick one

-Jar-
11-17-2005, 05:59 AM

Totally.. on a similar theme:

Monster Magnet - SPINE OF GOD ("Nod Scene")

Clutch - CLUTCH ("Spacegrass")

Others:

Spacemen 3 - THE PERFECT PRESCRIPTION

Painkiller - EXECUTION GROUND

Butthole Surfers - LOCUST ABORTION TECHNICIAN

Meat Beat Manifesto - SUBLIMINAL SANDWICH

Coil - Love's Secret Domain

A.R. Kane - 69

Galaxie 500 - ON FIRE

Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun

His Name Is Alive - HOME IS IN YOUR HEAD

-jar

shokhead
11-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Beatles-MMT and S Peppers. Loud! With headphones. All night. Night after night after night after night. That would have been in my first Apt. Different tunes for different generations and different drugs. It just sounds different on drugs then not. Trust the honset brain cell losers. :D

Duds
11-17-2005, 08:17 AM
great cd

Oh, that's a good one!

Duds
11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
good choices with magnet and clutch

monster magnet - Superjudge, Tab

Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go

Nebula - charged

Totally.. on a similar theme:

Monster Magnet - SPINE OF GOD ("Nod Scene")

Clutch - CLUTCH ("Spacegrass")

Others:

Spacemen 3 - THE PERFECT PRESCRIPTION

Painkiller - EXECUTION GROUND

Butthole Surfers - LOCUST ABORTION TECHNICIAN

Meat Beat Manifesto - SUBLIMINAL SANDWICH

Coil - Love's Secret Domain

A.R. Kane - 69

Galaxie 500 - ON FIRE

Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun

His Name Is Alive - HOME IS IN YOUR HEAD

-jar

noddin0ff
11-17-2005, 08:21 AM
The The: Mind Bomb
Talk Talk: Spirit of Eden
Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Sessions
Manu Chao: Proxima Estacion- Esperanza

and of course
PF: Meddle, DSOTM

Troy
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah, any Floyd from Meddle thru Animals will always do.

Porcpine Tree "Up the Downstair" and "The Sky Moves Sideways" are perfect pothead music.

I loved all that mid 70s Yes, Camel and Genesis while honkin Thai-Stick thru the bong too.

Had some good times with Led Zep's "Physical Graffitti too. "Kashmir" may be one of THE perfect drug songs.

Try some Grandaddy too. "I'm OK with my Decay" kinda says it all.

Drugs make music sound better. There I said it. Arrest me.

Mr MidFi
11-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Adam!!! Long time, no see. How have you been, bud? I think of you every time I hear that Ben Harper song, "Burn One Down". That was from your holiday comp, if I recall correctly.

You may recall that one of the first CD comps I ever made was in response to this very same question, years ago. Dig around in your stacks for a disc called "Just Say...Wo!" Those songs represented my answer then, and they remain so today.

So...did you ever settle down and get married with that girlfriend of yours? Was it Jen? Am I remembering correctly?

Davey
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005T7IS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

With that kind of flagrant drug reference as a title, ya know you're in for one crazy-ass, mind-numbing, hilarious time that really comes to life with a bunch of your pothead friends around trying to keep track of wtf is happening ...

Porgie: "But, Gee, Dad - I still don't understand how you can be the Peoples Prosecutor and my defense lawyer at the same time..."

George Tirebiter: "Easy, son. That way I can see that you are persecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Porgie: "That's my Dad!"

;)

Hawkeye
11-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Not that I'd know what you're talking about here, ahem, but if I did.......

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Camel - Moonmadness
Love - Forever Changes
Genesis - Duke
Joe Walsh - Smoker You Drink The Player You Get
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Frank Zappa - Overnight Sensation

I'm sure that there's probably many more, though I can't seem to recall them now. Strange.

GMichael
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Rush - 2112, Caress of Steel
Kansas - back side of Leftoverature
ELP - back side of Brain Salad Surgery
Queen - News of the World
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
All of Pink Floyd, can you name even one that doesn't belong here?
Yes - Tormatto

Smokey
11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Alan Parsons's "Tales of Mystery & Imagination"

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001FN3.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

dmb_fan
11-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Adam!!! Long time, no see. How have you been, bud? ...

Monsieur Middle Fidelity! Long time, no see, indeed! I've been very well. Burn One Down was indeed on one of my holiday comps, probably Too Much Egg Nog from 2000. My goodness, where does the time go?

Life is good. Still in Seattle. Have a job I like (which might account for my absence from audioreview). Still following Dave around during the summer and snowboarding whenever time allows in the winter. And yes, Jen and I did eventually get hitched, musta been June of '04. (I'm the one in the tux.) :)

Very best wishes to you and your family!
-Adam

PS- Locating Just Say Wo required a trip through the Mr. MidFi hall of fame with Women's Work, Cover Charge, Waiting to Derail (was that the first?), Acoustic Variations, etc. Now playing: JSW track 10.

unleasHell
11-17-2005, 12:53 PM
how about the first Cheech & Chong album (can't recall the title, was it Big Bamboo?)

GMichael
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
how about the first Cheech & Chong album (can't recall the title, was it Big Bamboo?)

You mean the one with the huge rolling paper inside?

Mr MidFi
11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Congratulations, dmb. I have to say, that's one of the best wedding pix I've seen in a long time!

Take care.

Slosh
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
If you've got to be high to get into an album I've got news for you - it ain't so good. Diggin' it when you're stone sober is the test.

Party on! :rolleyes:

Hyfi
11-17-2005, 02:47 PM
With that kind of flagrant drug reference as a title, ya know you're in for one crazy-ass, mind-numbing, hilarious time that really comes to life with a bunch of your pothead friends around trying to keep track of wtf is happening ...

Porgie: "But, Gee, Dad - I still don't understand how you can be the Peoples Prosecutor and my defense lawyer at the same time..."

George Tirebiter: "Easy, son. That way I can see that you are persecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Porgie: "That's my Dad!"

;)

Nick Danger Third Eye is pretty funny also.

You can either wait here in the sitting room, or sit here in the waiting room.

Javier
11-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Sober but probably i woldn't want to die without listening to Floyd stoned

Dave_G
11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
They look so happy because they are on drugs.

LOL!

Dave

ericl
11-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Weapon of Choice
Nutmeg Says: Bozo the Town

This is probably the trippiest s**t I ever heard. They were great live too. I wish i could go into detail, but not at my workplace..
;)

J*E*Cole
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I think that Pink FLoyd's 'Division Bell' and
'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', are both killin, but,

A Perfect Circle's 'Mer De Noms' AND 'Thirteenth Step' are pretty good too...

Mr MidFi
11-18-2005, 07:27 AM

There was something fishy about the butler. Probably working for scale.

Ex Lion Tamer
11-18-2005, 07:57 AM

I've only owned one Firesign Theatre album;

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd800/d815/d81595b15q9.jpg, which was hillarious. I didn't have the MFSL version, though.

This one also got a few listens while in an altered state...

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf600/f672/f67282a2u80.jpg

Still remember how freaked I was when I discovered that side 2 had 2 sets of grooves so the album was different depending on where/how you dropped the needle.

Lifes-A-Blast
11-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey man Dave's not here man!!

robert393
11-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Some great artist mentioned ie, Black Sabbath, Zep, Bowie, YES, Hendrix, Beatles.

I'll add ANY TOOL CD, ANY Pantera CD, The Doors-LA Woman album, Jeff Beck-Wired, Stones-Tattoo You, and I'll throw-out a REALLY WIERD one that I still enjoy: DEVO-Are we not men? I mean, listen to Jaco-Homo, Satisfaction, and Space Junk....this stuff is the essence of Drug music (in a good way!)! :cool:

Mr Peabody
11-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Anyone mention Aphrodite's Child 666? Some Ozric Tentacles might be interesting.

I smoked a Barry Manilow 45 one time. It didn't do anything for me accept give me a trip to the emergency room for smoke innolation.

Slosh
11-22-2005, 12:55 AM
I smoked a Barry Manilow 45 one time. It didn't do anything for me accept give me a trip to the emergency room for smoke innolation.Injecting Barry is the preference. Not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes:
No, wait, there is something wrong with that

Mr MidFi
11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Anyone mention Aphrodite's Child 666?

Oh jeez...I had completely forgotten that one. Imagine a 14-year-old MidFi fella, doing bong-hits for the very first time, with that album playing over and over for an entire afternoon.

The leading horse is white
The second horse is red
The third one is black
The last one is green

That shiat has a way of burrowing into your head and doing some damage, I tells ya.

GMichael
11-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey man Dave's not here man!!

No man, I'm Dave. Now open the door, I think the cops saw me....

Knock knock knock...

bacchanal
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm not a druggie or anything, but I was going through my collection looking for something 'different' to listen to when I found an album that instantly brought this thread to mind:

Kula Shaker - K

it's a trip in itself.

jerryclay10
04-15-2006, 12:29 PM
DOORS hands down best drug album

who is the chick with the big tits

shokhead
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
First after burning one everything sounded good so thats first. Beatles with headphones trying to figure it all out with MMT and S P. Live was LZ and Tull. How many times taking a drive around Long Beach and the Shore listening to those before rolling home at 3 in the morning during the late 60's and early 70's when you still measured it by 2-3 fingers. It was a pretty dam good time then.

BradH
04-15-2006, 07:48 PM
This is too funny. I just listened to Eno & Byrne's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

There are so many. Can't we break this down into different categories? You know, pot, coke, speed, ludes, shrooms, tequila.

Tsk tsk, everything in its proper place now.

Brad (very sober and fiddin' to listen to Music For Airports)

shokhead
04-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Never worried about music when speeding but i will say, Deep Purple Speed King would sure get your attention.

nobody
04-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Absolutely agree that it depends on what kinda drugs you're on.

smoking weed...any reaggae/dub...actually some country is nice for that too, Willie Nelson and the like...

coke...for some reason The The Soul Mining is good for this...Gap Band too for some odd reason...things that sparkle sound good...same with X...

Acid...BUTTHOLE SURFERS!

And, if you smoke crack...don't listen to music...just go die...

If you're doing Heroin...does it really ****in' matter what you're listening too? I mean Teletubbies could be really fantastic...

and...for the record...haven't done any of 'em for years...well maybe i pull out the reggae records now and again...

shokhead
04-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Yep,drug free for 21 now.

jamison
04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
well once i listened to Ozzy Osbournes " Diary of a Madman" while tripping on CID ... i could swear i could see him singing in the living room...

any Tangerine Dream fans?

they are kinda trippy like floyd.. Dont know how many times i listened to the wall with a good buzz on but quite a few..
I like taking the Wizard of OZ dvd and synching it to my Dark Side of the Moon SACD

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Huge Tangerine Dream fan -- was just listening to Stuntman. I don't do drugs, however, so I can't help with album choices as I have no idea what's good. Except for caffeine and alcohol, and even those I try to minimize. Geezin' sucks.

MasterCylinder
04-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Two good ones I remember from my stoner days:

SPOOKY TOOTH - "Ceremony"

TRAPEZE - "Medusa"

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
04-17-2006, 02:13 PM
What No one has mentioned Zappa yet???!

Try "We're Only in it for the Money".

rael

np "Tim"... pretty good stuff

-Jar-
04-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Acid...BUTTHOLE SURFERS!

One time over several bowls of very sticky stuff concocted this scheme where the Butthole Surfers became the next Grateful Dead. I mean, I think they would make a perfect band to do drugs to and follow around the country. At least, it sounded really good to us at the time...

We used to like busting new stuff on each other after getting all messed up, one time my roomate completely freaked me out by playing the (new at the time) Diamanda Galas/John Paul Jones album THE SPORTING LIFE. The first couple tracks scared the hell out of me.

For some reason, we used to love getting all wasted and listening to the first Meat Puppets album.. I really does make sense that way. The band couldn't have intended anyone to listen to that album sober. No way.

My favorite freak-out album was Blind Idiot God's CYCLOTRON. The 4 dubs on that disc are some of the deepest, most tripped out dubs one could ever hope for.. though Aswad's A NEW CHAPTER OF DUB would also work nicely in a pinch..

-jar

RoyY51
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
One for the hippy-era crowd:

National Lampoon's Radio Dinner. The irreverent and profane parodies of 60's rockstars and folksingers are simply classic.

likeitloud
05-29-2006, 12:00 AM
:6: Some of my favorites(From back in the day)
Black Sabbith.........Paranoid
Rush....2112
Deep Purple...Machine Head
T Rex.....Anything
Led Zep...4
Guess I'm Showing my age.