output/gain question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : output/gain question

dean_martin
11-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey guys. I'm going from a SS preamp w/phono to a tube integrated. I can use the phono section in the SS preamp for a while (though it's nothing special), but I want to get an outboard phono stage to run into the tube integrated. After much research and with a limited budget, I've decided on the Channel Island Audio VPP-1.

I'm also upgrading my cartridge to the Ortofon X3-MC. I've confirmed that my turntable's tonearm and counterweight are compatible with this cartridge's relatively light weight of 4.1g. The Ortofon's output is 2.0mV which is about .5mV less than the output of most high output MCs I've researched. The CI's gain settings are 40dB for mm and high output mcs and 50dB for lower output mcs. I'm wondering if I'm going to get caught in the middle where the 40 setting is too low and the 50 is too high.

Can any of you guys comment on this? I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the cart and phono stage I've chosen will work well together.

slate1
11-16-2005, 08:36 PM
You'll be fine - the optimum gain for the cart is going to be around 44db and either 40db or 50db will work as the VPP-1 has a fair amount of headroom. I'd e-mail Dusty at CI-Audio and get his take on it from their website.

dean_martin
11-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I'd e-mail Dusty at CI-Audio and get his take on it from their website.

But that would be too obvious and too easy! Thanks Slate1. I should have thought of that.