Help choosing speakers for a friend (Vintage Sansui) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing speakers for a friend (Vintage Sansui)

minkyboodle
11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. I am trying to help a good friend replace his old dying speakers and browsing these great forums has helped me narrow it down quite a bit. About 1 year ago he bought a nicely maintained Sansui G-5500 vintage receiver (his uncle refurbishes them) so that is what I'm looking to build off of. I believe these are the power specs for that receiver
2 x 60W/8 ohms at 0.03% THD, 20 -20.000Hz
My friend is a jazz musician so much of his listening will be transcribing solos etc (he is a sax player). I'd say he listens to about 80% acoustic/not heavily amped jazz with vintage R&B and some pop filling out the rest. No heavy rock or rap.
His budget is US $200 but I may be able to bump that up 25 with some convincing if needed. I originally offered to help thinking that it would be a good opportunity to build him a set of the Dayton BR-1s
BR-1 at PartsExpress (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640)
After doing a bit of reading it seems if I went that route that doing Dennis Murphy's revised crossover would be worth the extra coin
dennis murphy revised crossover (http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=pe_br1.html)
I'm semi confident I could put these together without too many oops moments as I have some experience soldering. However, browsing some forums I found so many good reviews for the Infinity Primus 150s that I thought I should consider them as well. It seems that they can be had at around the same price as the BR-1 (less than the modded X-Over BR-1s). The Primus would have less bass than the Daytons but I could always add something like the $100 dayton sub if he needed it later.
So basically I'm looking for opinions concerning the pros and cons of those two given my friends listening habits. Also if you think one or both of these would be either an unworkable or awful match for the vintage Sansui please let me know as I don't know the amp that well and am just going on what I've read in various forums (maybe I should be looking for vintage speakers as well). Thanks for the help.
Scott

Jimmy C
11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. I am trying to help a good friend replace his old dying speakers and browsing these great forums has helped me narrow it down quite a bit. About 1 year ago he bought a nicely maintained Sansui G-5500 vintage receiver (his uncle refurbishes them) so that is what I'm looking to build off of. I believe these are the power specs for that receiver
2 x 60W/8 ohms at 0.03% THD, 20 -20.000Hz
My friend is a jazz musician so much of his listening will be transcribing solos etc (he is a sax player). I'd say he listens to about 80% acoustic/not heavily amped jazz with vintage R&B and some pop filling out the rest. No heavy rock or rap.
His budget is US $200 but I may be able to bump that up 25 with some convincing if needed. I originally offered to help thinking that it would be a good opportunity to build him a set of the Dayton BR-1s
BR-1 at PartsExpress (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640)
After doing a bit of reading it seems if I went that route that doing Dennis Murphy's revised crossover would be worth the extra coin
dennis murphy revised crossover (http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=pe_br1.html)
I'm semi confident I could put these together without too many oops moments as I have some experience soldering. However, browsing some forums I found so many good reviews for the Infinity Primus 150s that I thought I should consider them as well. It seems that they can be had at around the same price as the BR-1 (less than the modded X-Over BR-1s). The Primus would have less bass than the Daytons but I could always add something like the $100 dayton sub if he needed it later.
So basically I'm looking for opinions concerning the pros and cons of those two given my friends listening habits. Also if you think one or both of these would be either an unworkable or awful match for the vintage Sansui please let me know as I don't know the amp that well and am just going on what I've read in various forums (maybe I should be looking for vintage speakers as well). Thanks for the help.
Scott

...to a matter of preference, as the two have distict characters.

The Infinities are indeed very good for the money. They would be leaner (you knew that), cleaner and quicker. Also, more transparent and insicive. They are finished better as well.

I don't own the Primus, but I have a pair of BR1s. If he wants a warmer speaker that digs deeper, these are great for $139. Your x-over mod idea sounds very interesting! I'll probably sell my Studio 60s and use these in the bedroom... when (if) I do, I'll probably look into that.

What I like about the Dayton kit is the fact they never beat you up. Even on crappy CDs, they are at least palatable... sorta like a less refined Vienna Hadyn, for eg. A downside is they are not too efficient (err... "sensitive") - the co. recommends 70 WPC, 60 will be fine, IMO. I have no idea what the Sansui sounds like, so thake that into account as well.

The Infinities would probably be considered a more "refined" product, like my Paradigms. BUT - somehow I have more FUN listening to the BR1s. Hhmmm...

minkyboodle
11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
thanks for the reply Jimmy C. I have seen several people say that the BR-1s are very easy on the ears in the long run. I'm kind of leaning towards them although I'm a bit nervous about my soldering skills :) I'm very interested in hearing how my friends sansui sounds as I have no real idea of its character. THanks again for the reply
Scott

Mr Peabody
11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
My brother had a vintage Sansui, I don't remember the power, it had a very warm sound and if the kit speaker is warm it may be too much. It may make a good balance with the Infinity.

Actually if he is a musician I'm surprised he went with the vintage Sansui unless it was price. I found a Luxman vintage receiver and my brother and I compared it and the Sansui side by side. The Luxman had so much more detail it really made the Sansui sound bad. On the other hand I have an old Sansui integrated AU-9500 that is incredible sounding.

I've heard the Athena's are a good speaker for the money. I also like Acoustic Energy (AE). The AE aren't bass heavy but they are very good in their arena.

Worf101
11-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Epicure, AR, Dynaco, Ohm etc... If you're running vintage Iron why not vintage speakers. I've Epicures/EPI, Allisons, Ohm Walsh etc.. all doing yoeman duty right now. They can be had at good prices too on the bay.

Da Worfster :cool:

Sansui71
01-19-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a Sansui QRX-5500(4-channel), with 2-SP2500X speakers. It (the receiver), has hookups for 8 speakers. I use the 2500X's for the mains, and I just recently purchased a set of Polk R15's for the rear. I was surprised at the amount of sound, the little bookshelf's have. They are very reasonably priced at Circuit City. Although I don't listen to that type of music, I do like my Gordon Lightfoot, played thru them. Based on your link to the BR-1, I assume that you are interested in this type of speaker. I don't know if I would classify this as soft, but it does a good job with Gordon L..Just thought that I would throw another curve your way....

dean_martin
01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Epicure, AR, Dynaco, Ohm etc... If you're running vintage Iron why not vintage speakers. I've Epicures/EPI, Allisons, Ohm Walsh etc.. all doing yoeman duty right now. They can be had at good prices too on the bay.

Da Worfster :cool:

Hey, Worf. Saw your pics of your new Epicures. Looking forward to reading your impressions once they're up and running.

I have a Sansui AU-5900 integrated that I'm using with headphones. The headphone amp is very open, articulate, clean and powerful. I've put off adding speakers because I couldn't decide between keeping the system vintage or going with new speakers. I've read about the old New England (AR and maybe Epicure?) vs. west coast (JBL) sound that was a hot topic a little before my time and I was thinking of getting something representative of one of those schools of sound. Any insight on the differences and maybe which vintage amps work best with each?

Worf101
01-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Hey, Worf. Saw your pics of your new Epicures. Looking forward to reading your impressions once they're up and running.

I have a Sansui AU-5900 integrated that I'm using with headphones. The headphone amp is very open, articulate, clean and powerful. I've put off adding speakers because I couldn't decide between keeping the system vintage or going with new speakers. I've read about the old New England (AR and maybe Epicure?) vs. west coast (JBL) sound that was a hot topic a little before my time and I was thinking of getting something representative of one of those schools of sound. Any insight on the differences and maybe which vintage amps work best with each?

You're so right about the headphone amps of vintage iron. The difference in between my Akai 1030 and my Onkyo 501 is so night and day as to be laughable. I'd be real interesting to hear these 601's too when I get em straightened out. No Epicure product has failed to impress me in some manner or another. Glad to hear you're still around. Missed ya.

Da Worfster

PS, EPI/Epicure "WAS" the east coast, New England sound along with AR. More balanced than the left coast that tended to be more "boom and sizzle" and not as articulate in the mid-listening frequencies. :cool:

jrflanne
01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Had a pair of EPI Model 70's in the back seat of my Beetle. A very fine car stereo at the time. Wound up hooking them up to my old Luxman amp and frying the tweeters listening to the Stones at 11. I really liked EPI speakers and really wouldn't mind having a set for the bedroom.

natlus
01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm not a Sansui owner, but have a Marantz quad receiver and have found that my pair of Paradigm mini monitors match up well with them(my musical tastes are like your friend's/uncle's?). Not to sound too esoteric, but the warmth of the Marantz seems right with the detail and clarity of the Paradigms.

Interestingly, when I paired the Paradigms with a NAD receiver, I found them too cold and tinny(I have no sub). I run a pair of Wharfedale SP-83's through the NAD and they are much warmer than the other set up. I've picked up all this equipment from craigslist in the New York area-one of the great bargain bins of stereo equipment, and easily within your price range. Good luck.