New Wilco live album -- Me likey! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Wilco live album -- Me likey!

Mr MidFi
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
At first blush, someone could be forgiven for glancing at the track list of the brand new Wilco double live album and saying, "All those tracks from the two most recent albums? Meh, no thanks." Hell, I almost did...and I'm a bona fide fan. But I'm very glad I bought it anyway.

Make no mistake about it, the songs from A Ghost Is Born take center-stage on Kicking Television: Live In Chicago...not just in number, but in the spirit of the show as well. While their last studio release struck many listeners as being a little distanced and mannered, the live treatment presented here truly breathes fresh life into these songs and illuminates them as being among Jeff Tweedy's finest.

I can safely say that after only one listen, this is one of my favorite live albums. Ever. From anyone.

The band is in top form, the crowd is enthusiastic, the recording is very lively...there's plenty here to like. Just don't try to judge the album from streaming clips on Amazon or iTunes. You can't really "get it" without the context of the concert, and without playing these incredible songs at a full-throated volume to feel the live vibe.

This is definitely one of my faves of the year.

ForeverAutumn
11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Nice review. Thanks.

dmb_fan
11-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Agreed! I haven't bought it yet, but I listened to it last night at a buddy's house over a couple Sierra Nevadas and I'm sold. Quality stuff. Their heavier songs translate better to the live format than their ballads do, but I suppose that's true of most bands. It's worth the price of admission just to hear "The Late Greats" live. Have you seen Wilco? I suppose old fogies like you hardly get out to live music anymore. ;)

Hope all is well!

-Adam

Mr MidFi
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Agreed! I haven't bought it yet, but I listened to it last night at a buddy's house over a couple Sierra Nevadas and I'm sold. Quality stuff. Their heavier songs translate better to the live format than their ballads do, but I suppose that's true of most bands. It's worth the price of admission just to hear "The Late Greats" live. Have you seen Wilco? I suppose old fogies like you hardly get out to live music anymore. ;)

Hope all is well!

-Adam

Older and fogier than ever, I'm afraid. I did try to get tickets to that very same Wilco show back in May, but easier said than done. The Vic Theater is a small venue, and demand was very high.

Don't be a stranger!

rufus
12-04-2005, 06:18 PM
your short review pretty much echoes the one i saw at AMG(?). that the live performances really kick the new songs into high gear; full of energy and passion. and a large part of that is due to the amazing Nels Cline.

you get a chance to see them, do it. incredible shows.