XM or SERIUS what you think? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : XM or SERIUS what you think?

BEETLEMAN
11-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Just wondering about user feedback on these two formays what do you think? one better than the other?

Resident Loser
11-17-2005, 05:03 AM
...well not too much anyway...didja' ever think anyone would ever be able to convince the public to pay for water...to pay upwards of $4 a cup for coffee... to pay cable teevee companies for the privilege of watching re-runs of failed commercial network shows, complete with commercials...to pay $12 a pop to see "movies"(such as they are) complete with commercials in dirty, oversized living rooms with noisy neighbors...to pay ridiculous prices for inferior cell-phone service(as opposed to land lines)...and now pay to listen to radio, complete with Howard Stern and those of his ilk?

As Barnum said "...every crowd has a silver lining..."

jimHJJ(...this way to the egress...)

BEETLEMAN
11-17-2005, 08:47 AM
yeah RL sounds like a little bit of a rant but i get where you are coming from. it is truly amazing at what people will pay for. like starbux charging 6.00 for a cup of coffee or some companies charging you for an extended warrantee that doesnt evengo past the products standard warrantee.
i will wait and do some more thinking on this one.

N. Abstentia
11-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I can see where paying for sat radio is an issue. However free radio is not even worth turning on in my opinion. At least around here, anyway. 6 minutes of commercials...then a Lynard Skynard song. 6 minutes of commercials..Led Zeppelin. 6 minutes of commercials...Allman Bros. 6 mintues of commercials...Boston...then the cycle starts all over again.

I love the XM on DirecTV...just today I've heard Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, good old Genesis, Stockholm Syndrome, King Crimson...you could listen to regular radio for 10 years constant and not hear any of those.

But is it worth $12 a month? I don't know. Like I said, throwing it in with DirecTV is sweet, but I don't know if I'd pay seperate for it.

Resident Loser
11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
I can see where paying for sat radio is an issue. However free radio is not even worth turning on in my opinion. At least around here, anyway. 6 minutes of commercials...then a Lynard Skynard song. 6 minutes of commercials..Led Zeppelin. 6 minutes of commercials...Allman Bros. 6 mintues of commercials...Boston...then the cycle starts all over again.

...tain't no guarantee any of these services won't morph into the same thing once they get enough consumers to bite...

I remember the commercial-free premise and promises of "pay TV" as it was called back in the 60s...

jimHJJ(...promises, promises...)

HAVIC
11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
1 of my coworkers has both. What he noticed the most was that sirius has more crossing over between channels. meaning you will hear the same bands and songs across multiple channels, where XM tries harder to keep their channels seperate and distinct.

Also the hardware/technology is MUCH better for XM. I do not subscribe to either but have looked into it. From what I have heard XM spent their money on better technology and Sirius spent their money on big names to bring subscribers to them. XM has also allowed other companies to make radios as well. An example is I saw Pioneer makes a XM Radio with a 4 hour hard drive in it. I works like a DVR for XM Radio. I believe Sirius just came out with one but only has 44 minutes of recording.

Best I can say is both XM and Sirius offer free 3 day web trials. Remember that the sound quality is much lower via the web than with a radio, but Use that time for making a decision on which you like better.

HTH
Greg

N. Abstentia
11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Come to think of it I do remember that about Sirius when I had Dish Network...you could flip through and hear John Cougar on classic rock, adult contemporary, acoustic rock, modern country, and new rock!

BEETLEMAN
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Well i was just looking at the pioneer head unit in my truck and it is XM compliant so i think i will check that out. maybe also get a home docking port as well....

poneal
11-18-2005, 05:00 PM
don't forget your i-pod, cell-phone, do hicky this, and do hicky that along the way :-)