Crossover for sub in HT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crossover for sub in HT

Eric Z
11-16-2005, 02:03 AM
As you might have seen in my other post, I picked up a Yamaha 657 receiver yesterday. As I was doing the auto set-up (YPAO) thing, I noticed it set my subwoofer crossover in the receiver settings to 200Hz. What does this mean? Does this mean any sound below 200Hz is being sent to my sub? I have a Definitive Technology PS100 sub and it has a volume and crossover dial of it's own. Fyi, when doing the auto set-up, the instructions read for me to have the crossover on the sub set to max.

Should I be using the crossover on the receiver or the sub? Also, I played around with the receiver crossover and I noticed better, more natural bass at about 80Hz. I know it can vary by a lot of factors, but is there a normal/standard crossover to use? I know if 80Hz sounds better, then use 80Hz, but I want to understand the big picture first so I know what I'm doing.

Additionally, just to clarify- the crossover setting sets the time low frequencies (bass) is sent to my sub, right? Just want to be sure I understand this stuff.

Thanks.
Eric

PAT.P
11-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes it means that the sound below 200hz goes to the sub.I have the yamaha on mine set at 80hz was the best setting also.I use the crossover from receiver.With the Yamaha you also have a choice on sending the bass to front speakers ,sub ,or both.Do try to have your front and centre speaker on small if you want more power to sub.

Eric Z
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks, PatP- I have the fronts and center on small and the crossover is set at 80- sounds good. One more question- if I am using the crossover functionality on the receiver, what should the crossover on the sub be set to? Max or min?

Thanks.

PAT.P
11-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, PatP- I have the fronts and center on small and the crossover is set at 80- sounds good. One more question- if I am using the crossover functionality on the receiver, what should the crossover on the sub be set to? Max or min?

Thanks.First of all the volume on sub should be 9 and 11 o'clock (as viewed on a conventional clock) and set the crossover/high cut frequency to maximum.Cheer

Eric Z
11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Perfect- that's what I did. Sounds good! Thanks again.

PAT.P
11-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Perfect- that's what I did. Sounds good! Thanks again.Your welcome ,some use also BFD for sub .Im still looking in to this ,but need to find a meter first.