Can using just one channel damage a stereo amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can using just one channel damage a stereo amp?

nightflier
11-15-2005, 03:35 PM
I was doing some network cable pulling yesterday at one of our remote locations at work and they had a older (mid 90's?) Kenwood receiver and a pair a speakers on shelves in a large room but there was only sound coming out of the right speaker. When I asked about that, they said that the left speakers had fallen off the shelf a few years ago and never worked after that. The manager told me that they just turn up the volume when they want more sound.

Well I climbed up there, and it was just the speaker wire that had been pulled out of the posts on the back of the receiver. I reconnected it, and everybody was happy.

However, did this receiver suffer any damage from only using one channel at high volumes for "a few years" ?

E-Stat
11-16-2005, 05:08 AM
However, did this receiver suffer any damage from only using one channel at high volumes for "a few years" ?
Most likely not. Tube amps, however, don't like having a missing load.

rw

MikeyBC
11-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow i cant imagine anyone not even looking to see why the speaker didnt work for a few years...would drove me crazy after an hour or two of not knowing. Even it it was only the "work stereo"