Learning Projectors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Learning Projectors

jamison162
11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Has anyone compared the InFocus SP4805 and the Optoma H31 side-by-side?
Also any recommendations for screens? I'm thinking 106" (52"x92"). I have 17'-18' from projector to screen. Problem is my room has 11' ceilings.

Screen issues and height are my problems. The screen will drop down in front of my current wall unit with 60" LCD. It will only be used for DVD's. Are there any screens with excessive add'l drop length. I may end up having to go with a portable/fold-up screen.
Or may end up rigging something up myself.

Will the height cause any problems with the projector? I could ceiling mount at 11' or just set it up on the plant shelf at appr. 9ft. (17'-18' available to screen.)

How am I doing so far?

These 2 projectos have internal scalers (as do most HDTV's) with the InFocus having the Faroudja. Does this mean it's better to send a 480i signal and not use a progressive palyer or even an upscaling player. It would do no good right. Same issue as with RP LCD's etc. Component or DVI, or does it really matter?

I'm learning.

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 07:56 PM
I have the Optoma H31 and I love it. I didn't get a chance to see a 4805, but after researching for a few months the H31 became the clear winner mostly based on other users and dealers recommendations.

My H31 is 18' from the screen, at that length the image is 125" diagonal 16:9. If you want 106" it will need to be about 15 feet away. I don't know if an 11' ceiling would cause a problem, with my 8' ceilings I have the projector actually tilted upwards so it could go higher with it and level it off, but of course it also depends how high you want the image to be on your wall.

Get your projector here:
http://www.visualapex.com/lcdprojectors/LCD_projectors_details.asp?MFR=Optoma&chPartNumber=H31
And make sure to get the RPA-315 mount which will give you all the adjustments you'll ever need. You could also get a pole with it if the height is an issue.

robert393
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Has anyone compared the InFocus SP4805 and the Optoma H31 side-by-side?
Also any recommendations for screens? I'm thinking 106" (52"x92"). I have 17'-18' from projector to screen. Problem is my room has 11' ceilings.

Screen issues and height are my problems. The screen will drop down in front of my current wall unit with 60" LCD. It will only be used for DVD's. Are there any screens with excessive add'l drop length. I may end up having to go with a portable/fold-up screen.
Or may end up rigging something up myself.

Will the height cause any problems with the projector? I could ceiling mount at 11' or just set it up on the plant shelf at appr. 9ft. (17'-18' available to screen.)

How am I doing so far?

These 2 projectos have internal scalers (as do most HDTV's) with the InFocus having the Faroudja. Does this mean it's better to send a 480i signal and not use a progressive palyer or even an upscaling player. It would do no good right. Same issue as with RP LCD's etc. Component or DVI, or does it really matter?

I'm learning.

If you are learning, you may want to take a look here (http://www.projectorcentral.com/)
Warning! You may find more information than you can stand!~
Hope that helps.......
Robert