X-Box 360 as high-end DVD player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 as high-end DVD player?

ericl
11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
As some of you may know, the XBox 360 is coming out. I'm not a gamer, but this system looks to be a hell of a bargain just as a computer, dvd player, whatever. $400 will get you an amazing amount of technology. Including the ability to record and playback HD movies from the hard drive, with what looks to be a very serious graphics processor. (the graphics card in my HD DVR from comcast sucks). For those not familiar, here are some specs:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/612/612995p1.html

ANy of the more knowledgeable folk care to opine on the potential of this unit as a straight dvdp? considering all the technology offered here I am tempted, and like i said, I'm not even really interested in the games.

caniac
11-14-2005, 05:52 PM
The problem is, Microsoft won't include all the stuff you need.

On the last generation of consoles, if you wanted Dolby Digital and component video, you had to spend another $50 bucks to buy the add-on converters. I would imagine they're doing the same with the new one. Plus you have to buy the hard drive separately this time around.

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Acutally, the HD pack for the old Xbox (the thing that gives you component outputs and dolby digital) is $19, not $50, and that even includes a set of component video cables.

Also the $400 price of the Xbox 360 includes the hard drive. That price also includes:

-Component video & digital audio outputs.
-Wireless controllers
-Live headset
-DVD Remote
-Xbox Live

If you're a gamer, $400 is a steal for this console. It will be the one to have, that's for sure. And like ericl says, it's much more than just a game console!

snodog
11-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Definately worth having if you are into console games. I know right away they will not be high definition dvd playable. It will probably be a very good dvd player with progressive scan but not an actual HD formatted player for the new dvds coming out next year. Playstation 3 claims that theirs will have Bluray technology included so it will be HD compatible with their own format (of course). The cool thing about this xbox is that it will be all media center compatible so you can view clips and videos and music and pictures and such through the 360 with Im sure alot of customizing as well. Anyhow, Im sure it will be a while before the games are developed to utilize the technology of the three 3.2ghz processors to their full potential but will be very interesting to see in about a year. Anyhow I have mine preordered,,,,cant wait.

evil__betty
11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Will the 360 play back DVD's in progressive scan? I know that even though the current xbox has progressive scan output for video games it will only play back movies in 480i. I will still go separates when this thing hits.

Eric Z
11-15-2005, 02:33 AM
I checked out the Xbox at BB yesterday- they have it set-up where you can play 10-12 games. It seems pretty darn cool.

Do you know when the PS3 will hit the street?

snodog
11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm positive the 360 will play progressively for dvds but probably no upconverting or anything dynamic like that. I think Microsoft did mention that when the highdefinition dvds really hit the market they may integrate it into their units but who knows with the Sony Bluray supposedly being the dominating format. The playstation 3 will be out in the spring of 2006. Although, it seems Sony is behind and not giving much info out at all on their progress. One thing to consider is even though it will be able to play the Bluray discs, dvd players will be focused on the quality of the dvds and only that, my point is that I would personally rather save alittle more and buy a dvd player for the movies.

paul_pci
11-15-2005, 06:38 PM
I saw an X-Box 360 set up today at a Best Buy; I think the game was Call of Duty. The graphics were absolutely stunning. I won't buy it out of principle—Microsoft if evil, but nonetheless, the graphics were stunning. It was playing aon a Samsung LCD.

Eric Z
11-16-2005, 01:49 AM
paul- i played call of duty for a good 20 minutes at bb a couple days ago - it's amazing how the graphics are so life-like!

anyway, i have a ps2 and that does the job for me- i can't see shelling out a bunch of cash when i won't play it too much. i guess the xbox is coming out friday and ps3 in the spring. i would have guessed the ps3 would be here for x-mas time like the xbox.

HAVIC
11-16-2005, 11:55 AM
I know that even though the current xbox has progressive scan output for video games it will only play back movies in 480i. I will still go separates when this thing hits.

I've heard that changing 1 hex entry on a file on the original xbox makes the dvd player progressive scan (I've seen it). When they released the original xbox for $300 or so progressive scan dvd players were about $500-$1000 dollars. I think Bill Gates got some complaints about releasing a progressive scan dvd player from the electronics companies for that price and turned it off. This is what I read on some xbox forums.
Anyone who is interested there are some hacks for the xbox though poor programing in some games. I believe that the james bond 007 game is one. Through this hack is how you can change the file.