HIGHER resolution - do I REALLY need it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HIGHER resolution - do I REALLY need it?

sjdistributors
11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
My question is geared toward the projection world but I suppose this thread could be helpful to others looking at video sources other than projectors...

In short, here is my question - Do I really need the higher (highest) resolution I can find or should my source dictate my resolution?

To further explain...I DO NOT have digital cable. I do not plan on getting digital cable for the time being (this could change depending on what answers follow this post). I am looking to buy a projector. This projector will be used for some TV viewing and all DVD viewing.

Since the best input I will have going to the projector will be 480p (from the progressive scan DVD player) should I look to stay in the native 480p resolution projector - thinking this would be a "pure" signal with no need need to scale or interlace - or would I have better results from a higher resolution (say 1280 x 720) - thinking the higher res would reduce sd effect, etc?

With VERY limited knowledge, I am leaning toward the native res of 480p - it just seems to make sense that a higher res would lose something (sharpness?) with a lower res input (I think this is called scalling???).

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglas

edtyct
11-14-2005, 03:40 PM
You should talk to N. Abstentia, who has just installed a 480 front-projection system in his new HT room. But I'm happy to give you my perspective. A 480-capable system is perfect, plain and simple, for DVD viewing as we know it. It may also look better with standard def TV, which still represents the majority of programming, than a display with a higher pixel count that requires scaling to its native resolution. That said, however, 480-DVD scaled to 720p can look awfully good, with minimal loss of sharpness. Furthermore, hi def is the wave of the future, and enough TV content is available now to justify anyone buying a hi def projector. And hi def TV looks so good that even a relative scarcity of programming may not be enough to deter anyone from buying into it. If digital TV is just around the corner for you, I would think that a hi def display makes sense as an investment in the future. It will hardly destroy your DVD viewing experience, and hi def viewing per se may well elevate your experience in general. You cerainly don't want to suffer buyer's remorse before you've had a chance to enjoy what you have. But N. Abstentia should weigh in on this one. He's having nothing short of a blast with his 480-DVD-based system.

Ed

GMichael
11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
You should talk to N. Abstentia, who has just installed a 480 front-projection system in his new HT room. But I'm happy to give you my perspective. A 480-capable system is perfect, plain and simple, for DVD viewing as we know it. It may also look better with standard def TV, which still represents the majority of programming, than a display with a higher pixel count that requires scaling to its native resolution. That said, however, 480-DVD scaled to 720p can look awfully good, with minimal loss of sharpness. Furthermore, hi def is the wave of the future, and enough TV content is available now to justify anyone buying a hi def projector. And hi def TV looks so good that even a relative scarcity of programming may not be enough to deter anyone from buying into it. If digital TV is just around the corner for you, I would think that a hi def display makes sense as an investment in the future. It will hardly destroy your DVD viewing experience, and hi def viewing per se may well elevate your experience in general. You cerainly don't want to suffer buyer's remorse before you've had a chance to enjoy what you have. But N. Abstentia should weigh in on this one. He's having nothing short of a blast with his 480-DVD-based system.

Ed

Ditto, what he said.

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Yep, good points.

Personally I have no use for anything over 480p so that's what I got. By the time I'm ready to upgrade to HD, the cost of HD DVR's and HD projectors will be in my range. I just couldn't justify it right now, but if you're planning on getting true HD (digital cable is nowhere near HD) then definitely get an HD projector. Especially if you don't want to replace it later.