SUB Problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SUB Problem

axelsrd
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Need some help guys and gals. My system consists of Paradigm monitor 7 for front, CC370 center and Paradigm mini monitors for rear with a velodyne CHT-10 sub. My old room (12 x 20) was a basement in the Atlanta area. System sounded great. My new room (17 x 30) in my new house (Picayune, MS.) is wood flooring. The house sets up about 3 feet from ground so there is nothing under the wood floor. System is hooked up properly but in the new room, there seems to be little to no response from the sub. I am not an accoustics engineer so I don't know what the problem is so therefore, I don't know what the fix is. Maybe the room is too big for my 10 inch Velodyne sub. Maybe I am loosing sound through the floor into the crawl space under the house. Someone told me that my sub is probably in a "NULL" area of the room, that I should move it to a corner. Well, the only two corners available are 30 feet away from my receiver. I would need a 30ft. connection and even then, the sub is still on a wood floor over open space.

Is there anything I can do with the existing sub or do I need to get a larger sub (due to the larger room size) and if so, what sub would/could you fine folks recommend???

Is there any hope for me...hehehe?

Woochifer
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
when you change rooms, you change a LOT with how a subwoofer would respond. The larger size of the room alone means that you don't have nearly as much reinforcement from the room boundaries as before. That's probably the main reason why you don't hear as much bass as before.

Cancellations are location specific, and you're actually more likely to get cancellations in smaller rooms because standing waves will form at more frequencies as the room dimensions shrink.

I would suggest that you put the subwoofer at your listening position, plug it in, and then crawl around the room. Play a test signal through the subwoofer and observe which location gives you the smoothest and most even sounding bass. That location is where you should put the subwoofer. The corners are where you get maximum bass reinforcement, but if it's too far from the listening position, then the sound will not blend in very well with the main speakers, unless you can put a delay on the main speakers.

Unless you got the subwoofer sitting flat against the wood floor, you're not going to lose that much of the bass. The main difference though with concrete floors is that concrete floors will reinforce the sound more and are not as likely to create reverberation. Problem though is that the bass can be overpowering with a lot of concrete surfaces.

axelsrd
12-09-2005, 07:31 AM
OK guys, I have tried everything I can think of. Repositioning, corner placement, Placing rug under sub and nothing seems to work. I am thinking that my velodyne CHT-10 is just too small for the room. At least that's what I have convinced myself the problem is. So, the next step is to buy a bigger sub...at least, I think, therefore, I must. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions here...that was a stupid question. Of course there are suggestions here. I don't want to have to spend more than $500, $600 tops.

GMichael
12-09-2005, 08:34 AM
OK guys, I have tried everything I can think of. Repositioning, corner placement, Placing rug under sub and nothing seems to work. I am thinking that my velodyne CHT-10 is just too small for the room. At least that's what I have convinced myself the problem is. So, the next step is to buy a bigger sub...at least, I think, therefore, I must. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions here...that was a stupid question. Of course there are suggestions here. I don't want to have to spend more than $500, $600 tops.

Take a look at some of the sub kits on this website. You can save by assembling these yourself.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209

For a few extra bucks (about 100- 150) they will put the kits together before shipping to you.