Cleaning RCA plugs and jacks? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning RCA plugs and jacks?

Stereomaniac
11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Go to cables forum

ruadmaa
11-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know of a cleaner/cleaning solution for RCA jacks?

I have used 91% isopropyl and it is ok, but not great. Someone suggested WD-40, but I think that would be a poor idea. There is another product called Ox-Id (sic) from GC Electronics that is a contact cleaner that comes in a small bottle. Does any one have any experience with that? What do you use?

In addition, what do you use to clean the jacks and plugs? I am looking for something that can clean all the contact surfaces on the jacks and plugs. I have used Q-tips but they have a tendancy to leave fibers. Q-tips also don't fit that well in the holes in the jacks, nor do they fit well between the pin and the side contacts on the plug. I have tried pipe cleaners and they do better fit-wise, but don't seem to clean very well and can sometimes leave fibers as well. What do you use?

Any thoughts on putting a tiny amount of di-electric grease on the contacts to prevent oxidation? This was recommended to me by a friend, but what is good for spark plugs may not be good for my AV system ;-)

Tarnex works very well. It will also make the ends of copper cable as shinny as a new penny.