Went do you use the foam port plugs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Went do you use the foam port plugs?

titan7
11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I have Energy RC-10s, the come with a foam plug? what is the reason for the plug? Is it better to use it or not? I have the speakers on top of the entertainment center, the back of the speaker is about 3-4" from the wall.

thanks for any insite.

markw
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
I have Energy RC-10s, the come with a foam plug? what is the reason for the plug? Is it better to use it or not? I have the speakers on top of the entertainment center, the back of the speaker is about 3-4" from the wall.

thanks for any insite.They give them to you as an option. They alter the sound slightly. You can either use 'em or not but in either case, the speakers will perform just fine and no damage will be incurred.

Try it both ways. In and out. Whichever way sounds "better" to you is your answer.

Woochifer
11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
The port plugs will alter the frequency response curve of the speaker. When you plug the port, you generally decrease the amount of bass, in favor of extending the curve further into the bass range. In other words, the bass will likely go deeper, but at a diminished level overall. If you have the ports in the back of the speaker, port plugs will also help with positioning because you can mount the speaker closer to the wall and you won't get the wall reinforcing the noise from the port.

Peter Duminy
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
The plugs can be used individually (e.g. one speaker near a corner) or together if you find the bass to be on the boomy side. They can also help tighten the bass performance a little. This graph shows how the bass response changes with and without the foam plugs on a Tannoy Monitor on test.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/voicecoil/plugs.jpg

titan7
11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
[Thanks guys!

kexodusc
11-15-2005, 04:58 AM
you may find plugging the ports makes integrating your speakers with a subwoofer a bit easier. That's when I plug ports.
Be careful though, power handling does change significantly in the lower frequencies. If you're the type who likes the volume knob at max, just use some caution.

titan7
11-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Plug in the speakers mean potential problems at high volume or when the plugs are out?

kexodusc
11-16-2005, 04:06 AM
When the speakers are plugged, the woofers will not be "unloaded" as in a reflex design. They'll use more of their excursion, and do so at higher frequencies. Don't worry too much about it...I'm guessing you don't play your speakers loud enough most of the time. Just remember, if you hear the woofers make a tapping or slapping sound (like a piston reaching it's movement limits), turn it back down.

At 88 dB sensitivity, they'll play pretty loud before this occurs.

titan7
11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
At 88 dB sensitivity, they'll play pretty loud before this occurs.[/QUOTE]

They are only 88db? I thought they were 91db, the web site says they are 91 in a typical room and 88db is some special sound room rating. Heck I should have gone with the Monitor Audio as they are 91db and 6ohm. That would basically be like running 120 watts per channel rather than the 60 watts per channel my Denon Receiver is producing : (

kexodusc
11-16-2005, 06:26 PM
The 91 in a "typical" room could be a closet for all we know. Unless they supply that info (they don't) I don't include unpredictable room gain - no way of knowing if it applies to all frequencies, or just lower ones. I compare the anechoic chamber values. It's all relative though.

I certainly wouldn't be upset about that - 88 dB is pretty good.

If you have an SPL meter, take it out and measure your typical listening volume from 3 foot distance. Then do the math, you might be surprised at how little power you really need.

titan7
11-16-2005, 07:01 PM
You are right with the volume at about 10 o'clock they get loud! I just don't like losing the 3db gain advantage the MAs had.

Thanks for the info!!!