Need help with biwiring and jumpers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with biwiring and jumpers.

Worf101
01-12-2004, 11:45 AM
I just bought a used set of Platinum Audio Studio 3 used off of ebay. They come with twin sets of jumpers for biwiring. I don't have an amp capable of that (Onkyo 898) so I'll be running em in "standard" mode. Problem is I don't see any jumpers on these speakers. Sooooo how do I make these biwired speakers un on single wire? Do I have to make a set of jumpers? Do they sell small one pre-made?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Da Worfster

Willow
01-12-2004, 11:58 AM
I just bought a used set of Platinum Audio Studio 3 used off of ebay. They come with twin sets of jumpers for biwiring. I don't have an amp capable of that (Onkyo 898) so I'll be running em in "standard" mode. Problem is I don't see any jumpers on these speakers. Sooooo how do I make these biwired speakers un on single wire? Do I have to make a set of jumpers? Do they sell small one pre-made?

Da Worfster

Funny you brought this up cause I was thinking of doing the opposite bi-wiring mine. I saw some jumpers at ratshack...by the way !! goldplated too

markw
01-12-2004, 12:02 PM
A couple of short lengths of speaker cable will do just fine.

Dunno if spacing between high and low connectors are the same for all speakers so "generic" jumpers may or may not work.

Willow
01-12-2004, 12:03 PM
A couple of short lengths of speaker cable will do just fine.

Dunno if spacing between high and low connectors are the same for all speakers so "generic" jumpers may or may not work.

guess he could measure and call his local ratshack and get them to measure up....save a trip.

Woochifer
01-12-2004, 03:23 PM
As others have said, a short speaker cable run connecting the two sets of binding posts is all you need. In fact, that's what my dealer uses with their demo units. They just cut a couple of 6" speaker cable runs and terminate them with spades, and use those as jumpers. (the main speaker cables are connected using banana plugs, so it's a very neat and tidy connection)

The spacing between binding posts can vary quite a bit from speaker to speaker, and you want to make sure that the jumper is a tight fit with nothing touching between the + and - terminals. So, I'm not sure if a generic jumper would fit anyway.

Worf101
01-13-2004, 07:39 AM
As others have said, a short speaker cable run connecting the two sets of binding posts is all you need. In fact, that's what my dealer uses with their demo units. They just cut a couple of 6" speaker cable runs and terminate them with spades, and use those as jumpers. (the main speaker cables are connected using banana plugs, so it's a very neat and tidy connection)

The spacing between binding posts can vary quite a bit from speaker to speaker, and you want to make sure that the jumper is a tight fit with nothing touching between the + and - terminals. So, I'm not sure if a generic jumper would fit anyway.

Thanks for the love folks. I kinda figured that's the way to do it but I wasn't sure. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something ignorant.

Da Grateful Worfster

Norm Strong
01-18-2004, 04:26 PM

Da Worfster
Just strip back enough insulation on the speaker wires to go from one binding post to the other. kYou now have both the wire and the jumper in one piece.

mtrycraft
01-18-2004, 06:37 PM
I don't have an amp capable of that (Onkyo 898) so I'll be running em in "standard" mode. Da Worfster

This may be incorrect. You may be able to piggy back banana plugs in each speaker post at the amp, or just try to connect two sets of speaker cables to the post. That is how you do by wiring. However, I don't know why you would do this in the first place a sthere is no sonic benefit to be had.

skeptic
01-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Biwiring can be performed with any amplifier by simpling paralleling the speaker wires at the amplifier end as was pointed out by mrtycrafts. It is usually worthless as he also stated. If your speakers are NOT designed for biwiring, you are out of luck unless you have the desire and skill to disassemble them and redesign the crossover networks.

Chuck
01-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Da Worfster

Hi Warf,

There is only one thing to do. :)

Purchase a small piece of 1/16" thick copper sheet. Make sure to get the purest copper available. OFC is a must. Take your speakers and your copper to a local machine shop and have the machinist turn your fine copper into a pair of precision jumpers. When he's done take your speakers back home and take your new jumpers to a reliable plating service. Have the jumpers polished and triple-gold-plated. Having two made won't cost any more than having one made, because most of the costs will be in setup. Think of it as a cost-savings rather than an insane waste of money. :)

On a more serious note, did you try contacting the seller to see if he might have the original jumpers?

If you strip the wire back far enough to span the terminals (as someone else suggested) be careful that stray strands don't cause a short.

mtrycraft
01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Purchase a small piece of 1/16" thick copper sheet. Make sure to get the purest copper available. OFC is a must. Take your speakers and your copper to a local machine shop and have the machinist turn your fine copper into a pair of precision jumpers.

I wonder what this will cost :) An arm and a leg? Machine shops, as many others sucvh as this charge a small fortune :)
If he is at all skilled, has a drill, metal cutting hack saw, file, a small vise, he can try it himself :)

Chuck
01-19-2004, 05:26 PM
I wonder what this will cost :) An arm and a leg? Machine shops, as many others sucvh as this charge a small fortune :)
If he is at all skilled, has a drill, metal cutting hack saw, file, a small vise, he can try it himself :)

Having a good friend at the machine shop helps. :)

Besides, nobody ever said audio would be cheap. :)

I think I'd put some nice looking spade lugs on a short piece of wire and use that for a jumper. Not the cheapest or easiest way but spades work well with the terminals I use.

manek
01-19-2004, 08:46 PM
take a small piece of speaker cable you are currently using or propose to use.....by monster lock banana plugs(the no crimping tool variety) jumper both sets or terminals with two sets of jumpers...use spades for your actual speaker wire and screw them into your binding post.

if you dont want to invest in monster locks then use plain speaker wire and make sure stands connected to the positive dont short out the negative.

EASY as pie......its much better to use the same speaker wire as you currentl use for jumpers. The metal jumpers do ad colouration sometimes. Speaker jumpers are also available from speaker cable manufacturers so you can buy them factory made too.

Worf101
01-21-2004, 07:50 AM
The set of speakers I got also had a set of 10 foot Monster M biwire cables thrown in with em. I said "what the hell" let's see what this sounds like all biwired and sech. Well, I tried. The monsterously large spades on the receiver end of these cables wouldn't fit into the 898's speaker out slots and I didn't want to cut them up because they're cool looking and I might sell them on ebay later...

So it was off to Rat Shack to find some premade jumpers. I had one jumper included with the speaker so I bought that with me to show the guy at R.S. Of course he had no idea as to what I was talking about. Had never heard of bi-wiring and had never seen a jumper before... Sigh... I wound up buying some speaker cable and some crimpon spades and making the jumpers myself. C'est la vie I suppose...

Thanks for the advice folks.

Da Worfster :p