DVD Audio Hookup Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Audio Hookup Question

jamison162
11-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I own a Denon AVR 1804 and a Denon DVD2200. My question is: is it worth the cost of the cable to run audio from the 2200 via 5.1 analog out to the Reciever's 5.1 analog in instead of digital coax or fiber. The reason I'm even asking is that I believe the 2200 has the better decoders/DAC's but I'm not 100% sure. This would be for movies, CD's only. No SACD or DVD-A here. The 1804 (receiver) specs say high quality 24 bit/96 kHz DAC's on all 6 channels whereas the 2200 states high quality Burr-Brown 24 bit/192kHz DAC's. I'd rather run just the one digital'fiber cable but I don't wanna be missing out on anything here, would I notice a difference?

Thanks

N. Abstentia
11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Well you HAVE to use the multi channel analog outs for DVD-A or SACD. You cannot play the high resolution tracks through a digital connection.

But if you don't care about DVD-A or SACD then you can use just the digital output for movies. Will that sound better than using the analog outs? The only way to find out is to hook it up and try it. All you need is 6 standard RCA cables, hopefully you have some lying around. If not, you get get a whole set for about $15-$20.